Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #181

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I'm glad I added my second ac. We run the bedroom during the day, keeps the livj g room quite and living room at night, quite in bedroom. Both cool great.

With that said I like to tinker too which us why I'll add the insulation on the box and pipe. I'll get to it soon. Been to busy gearing up for a fishing trip. I want to get a 200lb blue fin tuna

Jerry

Where did you tap in to power a/c

Old 07-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #182

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I ran romex, 10 gauge, from the new ac through the ceiling, back wall, to the floor then under bed. From there I went under the chassis following the other wires and installed a additional 30 amp plug. I run both 30 amp cords to the parks pedestal and attach using a 50 to two 30s dogbone or one 30 to the 30 receptical and the new ac to the 20 amp receptical

Black is stock plug. Gray is the new ac plugClick image for larger version

Name:	20180624_110945.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	11934
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #183

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Just a quick, non-technical note here. lol When you fill the end runs of the vents with foam, yes, the airflow out of the last vents increases pretty dramatically. The two last vents at the front of our RV are covered by the bunk when it's up against the ceiling. We closed them when the bunk is up. We recently had a need to use the bunk and when we put it down, we noticed quite a bit of airflow out of the vents even though they were closed, and the mattress was cold under those vents! We now leave those vents open, aimed out into the RV, and the bunk down about 4 inches from the ceiling instead of all the way up so that air flow is utilized. It has helped to drop the temp inside the coach about 2 degrees, which for us in our situation is HUGE.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:06 PM   #184

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Just a quick, non-technical note here. lol When you fill the end runs of the vents with foam, yes, the airflow out of the last vents increases pretty dramatically. The two last vents at the front of our RV are covered by the bunk when it's up against the ceiling. We closed them when the bunk is up. We recently had a need to use the bunk and when we put it down, we noticed quite a bit of airflow out of the vents even though they were closed, and the mattress was cold under those vents! We now leave those vents open, aimed out into the RV, and the bunk down about 4 inches from the ceiling instead of all the way up so that air flow is utilized. It has helped to drop the temp inside the coach about 2 degrees, which for us in our situation is HUGE.
Ok, great. But on the Axis / Vegas models we DONT have vents over the bunk at all. I think I could add some but I never use the bunk anyway.

I might add one or two vents right before the bunk that way Im dumping hold air as close as I can to the hottest part of the RV.

Yes your right, 2 deg can make a difference. Im also going to add a 12 v fan like the larger coaches have in the cockpit area. I think this would circulate the air better and force more cool air up front not to mention any breeze should make us feel cooler as well.

Thanks - That will help folks with larger coaches with vents over the bunk.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #185

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
So does anyone know how many Sq Inches of ducting should be used for a 15k AC for output?
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #186

THOR #12231
I was wondering the same thing. But as GM Tech pointed out it wouldnt hurt to add more vents and just close others to increase the air flow in the ones you need "now". If you do this vent mod posted above (block off the ends and cut foam/plastic) you will realized more air flow so IMO you could add TWO more and not even noitice a difference. This might be next on my mod list (Two more vents near the cockpit area). Im going to wait for the 100 deg days to come back to make up my mind.

I dont think I would add more than two anyway.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #187

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
Update...

Here's the delta information several people have asked for in this thread... 30 DEGREES. Not the 15-20 degrees that it was doing before and that Coleman says is acceptable.

So far, no matter what the inlet temps, my "highly modified" (lol) 15k is dropping the inlet temp 30 degrees. It's F'ing cold! And it puts out what feels like twice the volume of airflow too. It's a freakin tornado. The first day I started running it, I actually thought it broke because it shut off! I looked at the thermostat and it shut off because it actually got the inside temps down below my set temp of 72 degrees even though it was about 90 outside. It actually cycles like an AC or heater should, imagine that! The funny part was that the door was wide open the whole day because I was working on other stuff inside and out.

So now that I've had some hot days to test out my modifications to help make the Coleman 15k work better, I'd say it was an absolute success. The difference in efficiency when it was totally stock to now isn't trivial, it's pretty obvious.

All that being said, I still bought and just installed a second AC unit. haha. My wife and I love AC! I bought a Coleman Mach 8 13.5k Heat Pump unit. I wanted to see how the totally different design compared to the decades old design of the 15k. SO FAR, (literally just put it on and wired it up.) it seems to be performing way better than the stock 15k did. I'll know more in time and report back with the comparison between the two units. I also mounted it backwards to take advantage of the 65mph wind when driving, the condenser will get significantly better airflow when moving. If the amp draw ends up being low enough, I may be able to run the back AC off my inverter when driving. That would be cool.

Oh and the heat pump part should be useful. I just turned it on for awhile and it was blowing a TON of air at about 110 degrees. That should take the chill off the entire coach quickly.

Mach 8---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_201434.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	12039   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_201305.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	12040  

Name:	20180803_201300.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	12041   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_201318.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	12042  

Name:	20180803_201339.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	12043   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_201346.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	12044  

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #188

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Update...

Here's the delta information several people have asked for in this thread... 30 DEGREES. Not the 15-20 degrees that it was doing before and that Coleman says is acceptable.

So far, no matter what the inlet temps, my "highly modified" (lol) 15k is dropping the inlet temp 30 degrees. It's F'ing cold! And it puts out what feels like twice the volume of airflow too. It's a freakin tornado. The first day I started running it, I actually thought it broke because it shut off! I looked at the thermostat and it shut off because it actually got the inside temps down below my set temp of 72 degrees even though it was about 90 outside. It actually cycles like an AC or heater should, imagine that! The funny part was that the door was wide open the whole day because I was working on other stuff inside and out.

So now that I've had some hot days to test out my modifications to help make the Coleman 15k work better, I'd say it was an absolute success. The difference in efficiency when it was totally stock to now isn't trivial, it's pretty obvious.

All that being said, I still bought and just installed a second AC unit. haha. My wife and I love AC! I bought a Coleman Mach 8 13.5k Heat Pump unit. I wanted to see how the totally different design compared to the decades old design of the 15k. SO FAR, (literally just put it on and wired it up.) it seems to be performing way better than the stock 15k did. I'll know more in time and report back with the comparison between the two units. I also mounted it backwards to take advantage of the 65mph wind when driving, the condenser will get significantly better airflow when moving. If the amp draw ends up being low enough, I may be able to run the back AC off my inverter when driving. That would be cool.

Oh and the heat pump part should be useful. I just turned it on for awhile and it was blowing a TON of air at about 110 degrees. That should take the chill off the entire coach quickly.

Mach 8---
SOOOO, since it is a long thread can you sum up what you did that you feel was most important.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 AM   #189

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
SOOOO, since it is a long thread can you sum up what you did that you feel was most important.
I did some of those mods and got it down to 30 degrees lower than inlet. I think the adjustment I did on the temp control knob helped. How do you get a 100 lb a/c unit on the roof?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:07 AM   #190

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #12596
Where are you guys buying the vents to match the stock ones?

Also, I'm sorry if I missed it but what good does having 2 vents in the ceiling cover do?

How do you put on and take off the stock vents? Do they just pop off?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #191

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
I did some of those mods and got it down to 30 degrees lower than inlet. I think the adjustment I did on the temp control knob helped. How do you get a 100 lb a/c unit on the roof?
I also got 30 degrees difference, the coach air was 78 and output at the AC was 48 but by the time it gets to the vents depending on which one you are checking it was 51-54. The sun baking the roof is hard to overcome, I guess I could cover the roof in Frost King LOL.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #192

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheron800 View Post
Where are you guys buying the vents to match the stock ones?

Also, I'm sorry if I missed it but what good does having 2 vents in the ceiling cover do?

How do you put on and take off the stock vents? Do they just pop off?
Check Amazon and type in RV AC vent or heat vent. Multiple choices or check rv suplus stores in indiana online
This will get your started.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-1221...rds=rv+ac+vent
Old 08-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #193

THOR #12231
Thor, those dont look like the factory vents installed on my Axis. Amazon has several that look closer to mine (but not exact) so I was going to see if I could get a hold of two OEM vents from THOR or CW. If not I will purchase the vent covers that look simular mine and replace TWO of the bedroom vents then use the OEM bedroom vents in the living area.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #194

THOR #12231
GM Tech, Great info. OMG - you can hang meat in your RV now! LOL. I like to do a few "Easy" mods to mine. What do you suggest?

Keep us updated when you learn more about the 13.5 unit too. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #195

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #12596
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Check Amazon and type in RV AC vent or heat vent. Multiple choices or check rv suplus stores in indiana online
This will get your started.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-1221...rds=rv+ac+vent
I looked, maybe ill call Thor directly and order one, I am OCD when it comes to things matching...

The other ones I found online do not look the same, but I swear some pics in this thread or another one look identical.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #196

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by acheron800 View Post
I looked, maybe ill call Thor directly and order one, I am OCD when it comes to things matching...

The other ones I found online do not look the same, but I swear some pics in this thread or another one look identical.
This matches the vents in my Challenger exactly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095TEFNA...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 08-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #197

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Wish list for cooling

I am so happy that I found this site and this particular thread. I take delivery of a new 2018 24.1 Vegas on Friday. Living in North Florida with the heat and humidity this thread is invaluable. I will be doing several of the mods I see here regarding the AC but I want to get a jump on the materials that may be required. Realizing that heat gain is a huge component, what cover would you use over the windshield and where would I purchase this. Also where might I find the material to place under the engine housing. I know I have probably seen it already on this site somewhere but hoping to consolidate a "wish list" that the experienced would have purchase if they knew of these issues before. Thanks to all.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #198
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
I am so happy that I found this site and this particular thread. I take delivery of a new 2018 24.1 Vegas on Friday. Living in North Florida with the heat and humidity this thread is invaluable. I will be doing several of the mods I see here regarding the AC but I want to get a jump on the materials that may be required. Realizing that heat gain is a huge component, what cover would you use over the windshield and where would I purchase this. Also where might I find the material to place under the engine housing. I know I have probably seen it already on this site somewhere but hoping to consolidate a "wish list" that the experienced would have purchase if they knew of these issues before. Thanks to all.
Congratulations and Welcome.

To cover the front windshield I strongly recommend a Magneshade (link): It greatly reduces the light coming in (and heat) better to block that on the outside--keep that big chunk of glass cooler.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #199

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Thanks Jaime, Does it fit well on the 2018 windshield?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #200
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
Thanks Jaime, Does it fit well on the 2018 windshield?
It should, everyone is custom made to your order (Magneshade asks that you measure).

(We have a different brand that I purchased before I knew about Magneshade. When ours wears out I'll be replacing it with a Magneshade.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote