Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #301

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner24 View Post
Can I install a 3rd A/C unit in my Aria 3601? Too hot while driving and is making things very uncomfortable. I can put it where the Fantastic Fan is midship?
Im sure you can but I would try all of the tips and tricks first. Plus block your windows with the refective bubbles?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #302

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
Agree with the above suggestions. Have owned a 36 foot and 2 15,000 BTU conditioners should be plenty. Check the air temp coming out of the vents directly below to start and go from there.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:51 AM   #303

Model: Aria 3601
State: Kansas
THOR #15949
3rd ac

I think I misled ya, when driving the rv it got to 101* inside. The coach is freezing when we are parked, but intolerable when driving in the afternoon heat and engine heat. Today Thor told me I can not add a 3rd ac and to make sure the engine has the proper insulation. The unit is two years old, shouldn't have they made sure? Any ideas from anyone how to stay cool while driving with Gen on and both ac's going?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 AM   #304

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Here is a few pics of the insulation on the roof and temp gauge inside vent.
Wow these photos are so cool great Help, I’m on it. What a great idea and a great job , thank you so much I love the Help Received by the Thor peeps..
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:48 AM   #305

THOR #12484
Quote:
I think I misled ya, when driving the rv it got to 101* inside. The coach is freezing when we are parked, but intolerable when driving in the afternoon heat and engine heat. Today Thor told me I can not add a 3rd ac and to make sure the engine has the proper insulation. The unit is two years old, shouldn't have they made sure? Any ideas from anyone how to stay cool while driving with Gen on and both ac's going?

The doghouse on my new 2018 Vegas was uninsulated and was very hot to the touch. After insulating it and doing a couple of the A/C corrections 100 degree temps and 110 humitures are no problem while sitting or underway. Low 70’s. Check your doghouse and check your discharge temps.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #306

THOR #12231
Quote:
I have TWO works for you.... Insulation and Ceramic Window Tint. These did wonders for my RV.

Since you have a DP your not going to have a Dog house and I would think the engine would be well insulated (but perhaps you can add more?).

Are you running your generator while driving? Most likely you are if your roof A/C's are on. Check to see if you have a lot of heat radiating up in the area and add a ton of heat rejecting insulation (like Dynomat) then follow with a thicker 3/4 inch "Fat Mat". Check for any crack or seam anywhere in the RV .... Esp around the cab area and doors/ windows.

Check your slides (I think you have 4?) Perhaps the seals are not working properly when pulled in?? Lots of air loss there.

Tint ALL your window with "Clear Ceramic Tint". Its acully "15%" but you can barely notice it. The factory windows (at least on the lesser Gas RV's) are tinted in color only. They DO not reject any UV rays. I added cermic window tint to ALL of my windows and it did wonders. I could not believed the differnce.

But you MUST DO THE FRONT WINDSHIELD. Each state differs. But since you really cant see the tint no one will notice (except you since your not squinting as much and less heat).

Have tint installed over ALL the windows (tinted and non tinted). IMO its worth the price plus will keep your interior looking like new much longer and better for your skin (where did that skin spot come from?).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #307

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
EXACTLY!

Hey blw2, if I was going to add another roof air to my Vegas I think I'd go with the Mach 3 Power Saver. My Onan is good for 33 amps. The 15k draws around 15 amps. The Mach 3 PS is supposed to draw around 10 amps. So as long as I don't try using the microwave or anything else big the Onan should have no problem running both of those units at the same time. If I want the easy solution on mine I might just go that route.

I'm not giving up on the 15k yet, I have it off the coach and I'm trying a few cheap/easy mods to see if it helps any. I can't rotate it 180 very easily because of the ducting, that's a bummer. So much for increasing the efficiency while driving.
GMTECH, Thinking about getting cool air in the back end of the AC, how about some cold air ducts( like ram air) over the top or sides of the cowl directed into the rear? If the outlet was a few inches away for the ac unit it wouldn't interfere with the stationary operation but would get the advantage of the 60MPH wind going down the road.?
All I know about Ac systems is you push the button to the left for cold, right for hot. :-)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #308

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
GMTECH, Thinking about getting cool air in the back end of the AC, how about some cold air ducts( like ram air) over the top or sides of the cowl directed into the rear? If the outlet was a few inches away for the ac unit it wouldn't interfere with the stationary operation but would get the advantage of the 60MPH wind going down the road.?
All I know about Ac systems is you push the button to the left for cold, right for hot. :-)
Im not GMtech..... but while im driving I have the cab AC on so the whole RV is nice and cool (with the genny on and Roof A/C on of coarse) but when we stop and turn the chassis engine off it can heat up quickly in the cab area (without the reflective bubbles in place) so I would NOT worry about the extra duct work or reversing the AC unit on my roof to increase air flow.

I dont see it benefiting me at all since when im sitting it wont make a difference in cooling. Might even hurt if you have air ducts in the way.

Plus the less rain water in the AC unit the better IMO. Prevent rusting?? or leaves being sucked in?

Thats just my thoughts ..... I been known to be wrong.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #309

THOR #13360
Painting the AC cowl

Once I got them on the ground I washed them with 409 and a scotch write pad to get the dirt off ( let dirt). I then wiped down with rubbing alcohol and a rag, ( let dry)
Then applied primer and 3 coats of satin white.
I picked the satin because the cowls were less than smooth finish and satin would show less of the imperfections.
1st step to a cooler inside done.
Next will be wipe down the roof unit for insulation.
My wife asked at lunch if we'd be pretty well done with mods after this trip. I kinda laughed and said RVs are like boats ( break out another thousand) so no we aren't done.
I think she's ordering the Charles Theater seats from Recpro tomorrow. Got have something to do in my spare time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_094529.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	19209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_152831.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	19210  

Old 07-26-2019, 09:51 PM   #310

THOR #12231
Looks great! Post some pictures once on your roof.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #311

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Looks great! Post some pictures once on your roof.
What? You mean I have to go back on the roof?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #312

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
Once I got them on the ground I washed them with 409 and a scotch write pad to get the dirt off ( let dirt). I then wiped down with rubbing alcohol and a rag, ( let dry)
Then applied primer and 3 coats of satin white.
I picked the satin because the cowls were less than smooth finish and satin would show less of the imperfections.
1st step to a cooler inside done.
Next will be wipe down the roof unit for insulation.
My wife asked at lunch if we'd be pretty well done with mods after this trip. I kinda laughed and said RVs are like boats ( break out another thousand) so no we aren't done.
I think she's ordering the Charles Theater seats from Recpro tomorrow. Got have something to do in my spare time
I also painted mine over the winter and I honestly think it made a big difference. The AC has been able to keep up better this year. We also insulated under the covers to help.
PS, I have not read this entire thread but if it hasnt been mentioned check the end runs on the ceiling ducting for being open at each end of the coach. If it has been mentioned then ignore
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #313

THOR #12484
MTHook,

My next mod. Plenty happy with the cooling now but if this helps the A/C work less than I'm going to give it a go.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #314

THOR #12484
LWR, Did you ever post pics of your unit insulation? First time with the cover off and may as well do whatever else I can while up there. I also plan to completely block off all forward vents coming directly from the A/C.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #315

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
LWR, Did you ever post pics of your unit insulation? First time with the cover off and may as well do whatever else I can while up there. I also plan to completely block off all forward vents coming directly from the A/C.
What are you refering to?

The AC unit on the roof with my extra insulation on it? I posted may picks on many threads.

Why block the vents? I have plenty of air flow now.... Im thinking about adding two more round roof vents that dump right next to the drop down bunk. I think I would help keep the cockpit cooker when I dont have the reflective bubble installed.

You can always just close the vents you dont think you need to use. I know they will leak some air but I find leaving ALL my vents open it helps keep even air temp in my RV. Before I did the mods I closed off all of the bedroom and bathroom vents to help increase air flow.... But I dont have that problem anymore.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #316

THOR #12484
The roof top unit. Going to paint it and while up there insulate as you did. Thought you had posted, I'll find them.

I just only need the one vent for the front right below the blower. Max cooling with no leakage or mixing with warm air. Still use the bedroom vents. I don't think it would work for anything much larger than 24 foot though. Whatever works.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 AM   #317

State: Maine
THOR #16511
Kitchen vents

The vents in the kitchen area are not blowing much air while the back sleeping area is on full. New to the camper so still trying to figure things out. I don't think I have 2 zones, do i?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #318

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch70 View Post
The vents in the kitchen area are not blowing much air while the back sleeping area is on full. New to the camper so still trying to figure things out. I don't think I have 2 zones, do i?
Hard to know without knowing what coach you have - but probably not.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #319

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
So these mods have done wonders to keeping it cool in the RV. My wife hates that the windows are covered over with the bubble reflective sheets because she can't look out the window. The problem is now when the Ac reaches temp and shuts down, the cool air dissipates so fast that it gets hot quickly before the Ac kicks on again. Any ideas how to insulate the house better to maintain the coolness a little longer? One thing I'm going is put the reflective material against the back walls of all the cupboards. I'm also wondering if its a good idea to add a fan out two to the outside under the sink area to vent the hot air from the water heater outside.
Anyone else with suggestions?

Jeff
Old 08-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #320

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
If you have a digital thermostat, most can be adjusted to turn on the A/C when the temperature rises 1 or 2 degrees rather than the 4 degree swing (2 over and 2 under that they are normally set for.) This helps a lot in keeping the coach at one temp rather than getting too hot and then too cool. The only other good, cheap fix it to try to park it in the shade. When choosing a campground or site in the summer, shade is always one of the things I look for.