Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #201

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It should, everyone is custom made to your order (Magneshade asks that you measure).

(We have a different brand that I purchased before I knew about Magneshade. When ours wears out I'll be replacing it with a Magneshade.)

How do you keep magnashades from getting stolen?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #202
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
How do you keep magnashades from getting stolen?
Well the cover we have, not a Magneshade, but held on with velcro hasn't been stolen. I doubt someone would come along and just yank your cover off the coach while camping.

I don't use the shade when in storage--I use the foil behind the windows in that case. In storage its more about keeping UV off of everything than heat reduction. That keeps our good shade out of the sun for when we go camping.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #203

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well the cover we have, not a Magneshade, but held on with velcro hasn't been stolen. I doubt someone would come along and just yank your cover off the coach while camping.

I don't use the shade when in storage--I use the foil behind the windows in that case. In storage its more about keeping UV off of everything than heat reduction. That keeps our good shade out of the sun for when we go camping.

That makes sense. They are pricey though. I think I could just about buy a second AC for what the shades cost. One reason (besides more cooling) in favor of a second unit is to have a “spare”. Had a trip trashed when our AC failed in a travel trailer years ago. If you think an RV is hot with just one unit try it with NONE!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #204

Model: Ace
State: Florida
THOR #11068
Thanks for your info in detail I ordered the insulation on amazon will be doing ur modifications on my ace this weekend I will post my results thanks
Old 08-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #205

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I ran romex, 10 gauge, from the new ac through the ceiling, back wall, to the floor then under bed. From there I went under the chassis following the other wires and installed a additional 30 amp plug. I run both 30 amp cords to the parks pedestal and attach using a 50 to two 30s dogbone or one 30 to the 30 receptical and the new ac to the 20 amp receptical

Black is stock plug. Gray is the new ac plugAttachment 11934
Jerry, speaking from experience Turn your plug 90 degrees if you have a slide that is over it. I left the cover open and brought the slide in and crushed it lol
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #206

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Jerry, speaking from experience Turn your plug 90 degrees if you have a slide that is over it. I left the cover open and brought the slide in and crushed it lol
Good idea
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #207

THOR #3156
Climbed on the roof to Insulated the box yesterday in the 100* heat. Insulated the stock ac and the second ac I added.

its 86* outside right now. Checked the inside temps. Stock ac down to 52* intake temp 81* 29* difference

Added ac 79* to 52* 27* difference

Pretty much what is was before insulation but I think the insulation will help in the long run.

Don't know if any of the stuff really made a difference but it was worth looking into the ac, filling in gaps, and blocking the vents

The best thing I did was add the second ac. When we camped at kernville end of June it was 100*+ and once the temps were where we wanted it the rear ac was all we needed. Made the living room quite so we could talk without yelling

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #208

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Half Price - I bet you will see a difference when its 95 + outside. Or at least I like to "think" you would. But 27 to 29 deg diff is not bad at all. Last year I when it was hot I was lucky to get 12 - 15 deg diff.

If I had a larger RV I would install (or purchase from new) a 2nd AC in bedroom.

Looks like Newmar's are well insulated from what I read. I bet they can cool down much quicker than most Thor products. That might be the next RV to look at down the road.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #209

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
All,

New 24.1 2018 owner. Working on insulating dog house as well as some AC mods. Before i pull the trigger, help me understand why a digital thermostat would be beneficial and preferred to the stock.

Thanks

Bill
Old 08-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #210
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
All,

New 24.1 2018 owner. Working on insulating dog house as well as some AC mods. Before i pull the trigger, help me understand why a digital thermostat would be beneficial and preferred to the stock.

Thanks

Bill
The digital thermostat has a narrower band (e.g. it won't let the temp vary as much before cycling the heat or A/C). In addition you'll know exactly what temp you set it to--with the analog one its a +/- 5 degree guess as to what temp you want.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #211

THOR #12231
I wonder if we cut out (and maybe replace with SS mesh sreen with 1/4 or wider holes?) the plastic louvers vents on the roof shroud if that would help cool the condenser better? Therefore make the air inside cooler? Even if we snipped out ever other louver it would help the air flow?

I wonder what GM Tech has to say about this - More of his area of expertise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	12212  
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #212

THOR #12231
Maybe just cut out some directly in front of the fan?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4745.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	12213  
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-15-2018, 01:09 AM   #213

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
FYI this was on my 2017 Coleman Mach Model # 48254c869 15000 BTU AC unit.

Just a silly question from the guy that's reading this and looking at the photos and still does not really know what I'm looking at; If you decide to install the 2nd AC unit anyway will than not bring the temp down to seriously comfy? And then once I catch on to what your posting about I could make the mods to both and have a meat locker? Just asking for the other 2 guys that do not understand.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #214

THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Just a silly question from the guy that's reading this and looking at the photos and still does not really know what I'm looking at; If you decide to install the 2nd AC unit anyway will than not bring the temp down to seriously comfy? And then once I catch on to what your posting about I could make the mods to both and have a meat locker? Just asking for the other 2 guys that do not understand.

PS: I am in a 30 amp unit (not 50) and I'm told the only way to add the 2nd AC unit is to run the power cord through the roof down into the wall and out the bottom of the coach that will need to be plugged into the 110 plug. It would only be good for when I'm on shore power. This being the case, the mod to the orig AC unit will still help a lot when using the generator for power.
Yes / No?
Old 08-15-2018, 02:55 AM   #215

THOR #3156
Quote:
PS: I am in a 30 amp unit (not 50) and I'm told the only way to add the 2nd AC unit is to run the power cord through the roof down into the wall and out the bottom of the coach that will need to be plugged into the 110 plug. It would only be good for when I'm on shore power. This being the case, the mod to the orig AC unit will still help a lot when using the generator for power.
Yes / No?
yes. I added the second ac like you described. I bought a 50 to two 30 adaptor for when I'm on shore power. With both acs on the temp drops fast. Then I only use the new rear ac. Keeps the mh cold and the noise level in the living room is much lower.

With no shore power and using the gen it's the living room ac only

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #216

THOR #12231
Quote:
Well the whole point of this tread was to improve our exsisting AC were we DONT have to run a 2nd AC.

Mine is much improved not to mention im saving like $800+ bucks over 2nd AC. I only have 30 amp service so that would only complecate things.

But If my RV was any larger I would have to go with 2nd AC.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:34 AM   #217

THOR #12231
Quote:
Yes / No?
Sounds like a lot of hassle when Im happy with my RV and the AC now.

Yes, your 2nd ac works when plugged in only. So it WONT work with your Genny (if your only 30 amp) and if parked in full sun for half a day you need your main AC to step it up. So that is my motivation to may my one AC unit work.

My type of RVing im on the road with Genny on (for AC) or at the trail head with Genny on (for AC) while my wife and my 84 year old mother (we take care of her - She is in Late stage Alz and In home hospice now) reads or watches TV then we eat lunch or dinner and do some site seeing together. So my setup works well for us right now. :-(

We dont venture too far from home right with my moms condition but we will have plenty of time for that next year.;-)
Old 08-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #218

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
yes. I added the second ac like you described. I bought a 50 to two 30 adaptor for when I'm on shore power. With both acs on the temp drops fast. Then I only use the new rear ac. Keeps the mh cold and the noise level in the living room is much lower.

With no shore power and using the gen it's the living room ac only

Jerry
Thats the way to go if only 30 amp from factory, Esp in a 30 + footer. Im at 27 foot (and 3 foot of it is just my dash!) so If I can keep the heat out of the front winsheild My RV cools fine now.

I thank you all for all of this good info. I have learned so much from this forum.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 AM   #219

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
This is with both the front 15k and the rear Mach 8 13.5k running on high fan full cold on generator power. Under 25 amps total for both AC's. Not bad considering the generator is good for 33 amps. You don't need 50 amp service if you know how to monitor and use the 30 amp service. I can run both AC's on shore or generator power with no issues.

I'm done with my AC modding. I'm working on headlights now. HID low beams, LED high beams, LED spotlights that come on with high beams and LED floodlights that come on with a switch or with low beams. With high beams on, every light on the front is lit! Yeah, it's like daylight for half a mile ahead of us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180812_181745.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	12250  

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #220

THOR #9143
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
This is with both the front 15k and the rear Mach 8 13.5k running on high fan full cold on generator power. Under 25 amps total for both AC's. Not bad considering the generator is good for 33 amps. You don't need 50 amp service if you know how to monitor and use the 30 amp service. I can run both AC's on shore or generator power with no issues.

I'm done with my AC modding. I'm working on headlights now. HID low beams, LED high beams, LED spotlights that come on with high beams and LED floodlights that come on with a switch or with low beams. With high beams on, every light on the front is lit! Yeah, it's like daylight for half a mile ahead of us.
I’m intrigued with this.
You wired both ac units together in a 30 amp unit and have both running on the gen.
I guess that would take some work and be too long for you to share how? 
I’m not much of the do it yourself person.
I have my limitations and can live with it.
I will have a motorhome tech install the 2nd unit but all I have talked with so far,
tell me it has to have it’s own plug for the 110 outlet in the shore power box.
Of course then only the front unit would run on the gen.
Regardless, sounds great.
Thanks for sharing your project.