Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #261

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
I did all the things you mentioned, and I'm sitting under this piece of garbage sweating.
I've come to the conclusion I allowed the dealer to screw me by selling me an inferior product.
When I get home from the Kentucky race I'm telling my wife that this thing has to go, for my sanity....2 years old and I dont trust this thing to go around the block.
2 air conditioners going and it's not cool at all...I can't deal with being this mad anymore, I either sell it or burn it. Although I'd finally get some satisfaction from the latter.
Sorry to hear about that. Was it new when you purchased it?

Do you have a temp probe to check the temp of the air coming out of your vents?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #262

State: California
THOR #5013
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
What are you "not sure about"?
How to insulate and wrap the top side. I got to get all the material. Amazon is my best pal
Old 07-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #263

State: California
THOR #5013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
So you mean yours came without the baffle? Wow..
YUP...
Old 07-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #264

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
Rick Kirby, Hate to hear that. If you’re like me heat makes me pretty cranky. When you say it’s not cool at all and you have done all of the above have you checked the temp coming out of the blowers? What is it?
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 AM   #265

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Two hours in and it is looking great. Front has dropped down to 73. That's 23 degrees in 2 hours. I'll have to mess with the air flow to get more cooling to the back. It's never cooled that well. Might be a little too good. Temp out of vent is 32 almost 31 degrees. I did check the coils and there wasn't anything freezing up. We leave Monday for 4 days. We will see how it does.
Just wanted to update my results. We have been camping the last three days. Today it was 91 degrees and 85% humidity outside. We have the thermostat set at 72. The coach has stayed consistently at 72-73 all day with the units cycling on and off. No more running all day long. Before the mods, both units would run all day trying to keep it cooled to about 75 and that was on an 85 degree day. I have checked multiple times and there hasn't been any icing or freeze up at all.

We are in a Miramar 37.1 with two A/C units already but we are 39 feet long. Honestly, only one unit runs at a time and keeps the entire rig cool. Funnier than crap, my wife has had a sweater on all day when she is in the coach.

Loving these cooling mods!!
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 AM   #266

THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
I did all the things you mentioned, and I'm sitting under this piece of garbage sweating.
I've come to the conclusion I allowed the dealer to screw me by selling me an inferior product.
When I get home from the Kentucky race I'm telling my wife that this thing has to go, for my sanity....2 years old and I dont trust this thing to go around the block.
2 air conditioners going and it's not cool at all...I can't deal with being this mad anymore, I either sell it or burn it. Although I'd finally get some satisfaction from the latter.
Rick, I am sorry to hear this. We have basically the same size rigs. I see your in Michigan too but a ways north of me. If I ever get up that way or you down by the Kalamazoo area, I would be happy to take a look at yours and show you what I did with mine. Mine will freeze you out of the rig and I would think with some tweaking, yours could too.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:50 AM   #267

THOR #12231
FunMoney.....Wow, thats good to know. Do you have the Refective bubble in most (if not all) of your windows?

Were you parked in full shade?

Thats incredible.

We camped out last weekend. Had a little shade in the mornings and evenings only.

I set thermostate at 68 deg the first day and forgot about it. So from like Noon till 7pm the AC ran the entire time - then it would cycle at night.

I DIDNT put my refective bubble in the windows (but all window shades were pulled down). We maintain around 72 all day then when I went to bed it was down to 68 deg so I put the thermostat up to 72 so we didnt freeze and have some quiet.

I Perhaps I need to move my thermistor probe one more time to get my output temp down to 36/38 deg?? Esp. if your not freezing up. Im at like 42 deg right now but perhaps a few more degrees will let the AC to cycle more during the daytime? I guess it wouldnt hurt to leave it set at 72 deg to get it to cycle (68 is too cold but I was enjoying the cold air on the way to the campsite).

So let us know about your window being cover and the amount of shade you had please.

About how far from the bottom of the AC condensor is your probe sitting?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #268

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Rick, I am sorry to hear this. We have basically the same size rigs. I see your in Michigan too but a ways north of me. If I ever get up that way or you down by the Kalamazoo area, I would be happy to take a look at yours and show you what I did with mine. Mine will freeze you out of the rig and I would think with some tweaking, yours could too.
Sounds like he did some or all of the modes. Im afraid he is having actual problems.

Like to know his output temp on both units.

He can try and move the thermister probe around - perhaps it too high (or low?). One member mentioned he moved his thermister probe but it didnt do anything at all (same temp).

Wait...that sounds funny.... I promise you im talking about the AC unit not his other unit.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 AM   #269

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant15 View Post
How to insulate and wrap the top side. I got to get all the material. Amazon is my best pal
Yep, I used some left over dynomax on most of it then one layer of the sticky back frost king. I used plenty of the HVAC alumimum tape too.

You might get TWO layers of frost king to work but it will be a tight fit when you try and put the cover back on.

I also picked up the "outdoor" rubberized pipe insulation from HD to cover anything that was sweating.

Easy job.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:17 AM   #270

THOR #12333
Quote:
FunMoney.....Wow, thats good to know. Do you have the Refective bubble in most (if not all) of your windows?

Were you parked in full shade?

Thats incredible.

We camped out last weekend. Had a little shade in the mornings and evenings only.

I set thermostate at 68 deg the first day and forgot about it. So from like Noon till 7pm the AC ran the entire time - then it would cycle at night.

I DIDNT put my refective bubble in the windows (but all window shades were pulled down). We maintain around 72 all day then when I went to bed it was down to 68 deg so I put the thermostat up to 72 so we didnt freeze and have some quiet.

I Perhaps I need to move my thermistor probe one more time to get my output temp down to 36/38 deg?? Esp. if your not freezing up. Im at like 42 deg right now but perhaps a few more degrees will let the AC to cycle more during the daytime? I guess it wouldnt hurt to leave it set at 72 deg to get it to cycle (68 is too cold but I was enjoying the cold air on the way to the campsite).

So let us know about your window being cover and the amount of shade you had please.

About how far from the bottom of the AC condensor is your probe sitting?
No bubble wrap. All the shades were open. We do have a windshield and front side window covers that go on the outside. They are Magneshade. They stop a lot of the sun coming in but allow you to see out still.

We do have mostly shade with some sun at our site. Thing is we had basically the same amount of shade when we were in Gulf Shores two months ago. It was only 85 degrees out and both airs ran all day never shutting off. I thought it was strange as I could hear the 5th wheel next to us come on and off.

I think with the units cycling on and off, that is really helping with the freezing issue. Also I have a different rig than yours so maybe we have more insulation?

I just measured on both A/C units. Both probes are about 4 1/2" from the bottom.

I am even thinking about trying one of those Whacko air conditioner silencers. I didn't want to get one because it replaced your stock inside A/C cover with a different one to quiet down the air. Only issue is it doesn't have the quick cooling direct vents. I haven't used those in the last three days so I may not need them now.

We are going camping again next week for four days at a different park. I will continue to keep an eye on everything but we are sure happy so far.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 AM   #271

THOR #12231
Ok, good to know. yeah Im thinking your RV has a little more insulation. Some of them have double pane windows. Does yours?

Im gong to "try" an insulate the OEM cover first to help with sound. I will post my results if it works (or not).

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:43 AM   #272

THOR #12333
Quote:
Ok, good to know. yeah Im thinking your RV has a little more insulation. Some of them have double pane windows. Does yours?

Im gong to "try" an insulate the OEM cover first to help with sound. I will post my results if it works (or not).

Thanks for the info.
The main part of our windows is double pane. The lower part that opens (jalousie windows) is single pane.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 AM   #273

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
I been wanting to share this for 4 weeks so I finally joined the forum today so I can share some of my success stories. This is my most satisfying (and cheapest) so far.

This might be a bit long winded for my first post but I wanted to tell the entire problem and my solution so please read along. I have read about this same exact problem 20 times + on this forum so I hope it helps others. It might save you $800 - $1000 over installing a 2nd AC unit so might be worth a try - you decide.

I will "try" and keep my other posts about my other mods more brief. (I said "try" LOL). And before you ask I will try and post some pictures later.

When I purchased my 2017 Axis brand new the 15000 BTU AC was not cold enough and was driving me crazy. The best it would do was around 85 - 87 deg inside temp after being on all day in the hot sun (95 deg + outside) while driving or parked at the “trail head” (Mtn biker here). At first I thought it was not the AC's fault and I fitted all of my windows with bubble wrap like I read on this forum (thanks to Jerry' Hurricane Mods and many others), added the extra AC cold air vent on cover, then inserted roof vent foam inserts to block all the heat that I could. That helped some (Maybe 82 deg at best) but not enough and took forever to get down to this temp once the RV heated up.

So right before I had a few things done on my punch list this spring (but after I fixed 20 + items myself first) one of the Camping World employees at service desk gave me a useful tip (imagine that- LOL) that I have NOT read on ANY forum or in any of my many searches on this subject.

He said to move the temp probe ("Thermistor probe") up a little to see if that would help but not too much so the unit don’t frost up. So after researching on that topic for a few weeks I thought I would try a few things myself before I have CW tear into it.

At first I decided insulated the AC box (on roof) really well with left over Dynomat and Frost King duct insulation (I did the entire aluminum ductwork under the plastic cover on roof). Then I used the foam rubber pipe insulation on the exposed AC copper pipes to prevent frosting up. Left it like this for a week or so - This helped some but I was really doing this to help with the 2nd mod I was planning. So I took out my automotive AC thermometer and stuck it directly in the cold air path inside RV at AC cover - it was reading about 65 deg. Small improvement (but im not sure by how much since I didn’t take a before temp – sorry).

For 2nd part of this job I removed the inside cover and used aluminum duct tape to seal up leaky ductwork and added some half inch soft foam to insulate between cover to the duct work (many small leaks - im sure this helped a lot - check yours now!).

3rd part of AC mod - I moved temp probe up about two inches or so. Make sure it contacts the coil inside fins by slide it in and then down slowly until it stops at coil. You can see this probe on the cold air return side (this is inside the RV looking up for a single white wire with metal probe stuck in the aluminum fins about one inch from the bottom - which by the way is the location the manufacture recommends - I checked. So this might void your warrantee (move it back before AC service?)).

Now tested the cold air duct again and it was down to 55 deg! I tried it out for a day and I was able to get the inside of the RV down to like 76 deg or so. Big improvement. But the next day I thought "we can do better" and "My car AC show 35 deg at the vents why only 55 deg on the rv?" so I moved the probe up another 1.5 inches (about 4 inches total – which was about the max you should go according to my research – make sure you do your own research.) and then I checked with my temp probe - It was 45 DEG NOW!! Wow. I thought that was great and I better leave it alone - don’t want to frost up the coils or screw something else up.

Final results = 75 temp in inside of RV now on 90 - 95 deg days sitting in full sun!!!! And that’s WITHOUT BUBBLE WRAP on windows!! (70 -72 in shade).

And 70 – 73 degrees in full sun with my new “ceramic window tint” (that will be a later post – highly recommend).

Success!!

I been testing it for a few weeks now before I posted this so I knew it worked well and has NOT frosted up on me. I even went on the roof to check coils/pipes after two hours full blast and not one sign of frosting up, then I check again at 4 hours - looks normal. I also removed inside cover and looked around - no frost – even on hot humid days.

We did several day trips (and one weekend) with AC unit on for 2 - 5 hours at a time and it worked perfectly. And on the 4th of July it was on for 10 hours straight and worked perfectly the entire time.

So now when turn on the AC and the RV is hot inside (90 - 100 deg!) in 45 minutes its down to 82 - 84 deg next to kitchen sink (were I keep a digtal gauge) and 72 - 74 deg in 1.5 - 2 hours! The thermostate is in the bedroom and it will show about 2 - 3 degrees warmer temp then the kitchen. Eventally it will equalize temp with all roof ducts open. It has not problem maintaining 73 - 75 deg at any given time with door opening up some and windows not covered or shade pulled down (after my window tint) or driving down the road on a sunny days. Its been realativly cool this year (90 -92) so if its 100 outside Im sure my readings will differ some.

My 4th AC mod was installing he Coleman Mach digital thermostat (I highly recommend). Really make the system work well.

I hope this helps a few of you guys either suffering with inadequate AC units or thinking of adding a 2nd AC unit.

I hope I didn’t bore you on my first post - I thought I should explain it fully so you can decide if you want to modify yours. Im not telling you how to do it – just telling you how I did mine and you take full responsibility if something goes Wrong.

Happy trails
Hello Long & Winding Road, I tried a couple of your recommendations. I removed both front and rear air vents and looked inside with a mirror and
flashlight. Sure enough there was about 15 inches of wasted duct space I the celling. I filled those voids with insulation and HVAC tape. I also took the cover off the A/C unit and used HVAC tape to close off any possible leaks with the HVAC tape. The probe was about 3 inches up so I left it lone for now. The air coming out the vents was noticeably stronger. Wife liked it!
Thank you for all your valuable knowledge!
Chuck and Donna
Southport NC
Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #274

THOR #12231
Great, Im glad it helped.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:35 AM   #275

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Great, Im glad it helped.
Now the probe has been raised 4 inches!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7007[2633].jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	18959  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #276

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
but,..with all the windows covered,..112 degree's ambient , i'm able to get 72 degrees inside and the unit cycles off..so I really don't think I'll need it...
I'm no expert and most of this tread is way over my head but I have one observation, does it make more sense to place the reflective insulation on the outside of the windows instead of the inside?

Jeff
Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #277
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
I'm no expert and most of this tread is way over my head but I have one observation, does it make more sense to place the reflective insulation on the outside of the windows instead of the inside?

Jeff
Depends on what "sense" you are referring to:

It would block more heat if attached to the outside.
It would be much more difficult to attach to the outside.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #278

Model: ACE
State: New York
THOR #16075
Send a message via AIM to Muzzleman1@yahoo.com Send a message via Yahoo to Muzzleman1@yahoo.com
Did you install the new "Coleman Mach" thermostate yet ? If so, send me a wire diagram for that mess of wires. The wire nuts installed at the factory were too big and fell off, not sure what wire connects to what.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #279

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post

Jeff
If you can make them hold on outside it would work fine im sure.

But they fit on inside the windows great... AND they are almost invisable (with dark tinted windows) from outside and its not affected by wind or rain.

Plus I can drive with the bubbles in the dinning room and bedroom windows to reject heat going down the road or while we stop for lunch. Takes seconds to install and remove and I store flat (or folded some) under my mattress.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #280

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzleman1@yahoo.com View Post
Did you install the new "Coleman Mach" thermostate yet ? If so, send me a wire diagram for that mess of wires. The wire nuts installed at the factory were too big and fell off, not sure what wire connects to what.
Yes, I installed the digital Colman Mach thermostat (love it). I dont have any pictures but the wire colors matched exactly to the orginal analog stat. So if you have a yellow wire conect to the terminal with a "Y" on it (and so forth).

Do a search on this thermostat. Someone posted pictures and diagrams in the past. You might even find a Youtube about this stat. Good luck.