Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #281

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
If you can make them hold on outside it would work fine im sure.

But they fit on inside the windows great... AND they are almost invisable (with dark tinted windows) from outside and its not affected by wind or rain.

Plus I can drive with the bubbles in the dinning room and bedroom windows to reject heat going down the road or while we stop for lunch. Takes seconds to install and remove and I store flat (or folded some) under my mattress.
I'm making them with suction cups so they can be put on the inside or the outside. Like the idea of storing them under the bed!

Jeff

Old 07-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #282

THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke View Post
Hello Long & Winding Road, I tried a couple of your recommendations. I removed both front and rear air vents and looked inside with a mirror and
flashlight. Sure enough there was about 15 inches of wasted duct space I the celling. I filled those voids with insulation and HVAC tape. I also took the cover off the A/C unit and used HVAC tape to close off any possible leaks with the HVAC tape. The probe was about 3 inches up so I left it lone for now. The air coming out the vents was noticeably stronger. Wife liked it!
Thank you for all your valuable knowledge!
Chuck and Donna
Southport NC
In my unit it looks like I have about 3 feet of dead space in back of the vents. Has anyone tried expansible foam to build a wall behind the vents? I know I'm losing so much air to that space.

Jeff

Jeff
Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #283

THOR #15031
Quote:
Hello Long & Winding Road, I tried a couple of your recommendations. I removed both front and rear air vents and looked inside with a mirror and
flashlight. Sure enough there was about 15 inches of wasted duct space I the celling. I filled those voids with insulation and HVAC tape. I also took the cover off the A/C unit and used HVAC tape to close off any possible leaks with the HVAC tape. The probe was about 3 inches up so I left it lone for now. The air coming out the vents was noticeably stronger. Wife liked it!
Thank you for all your valuable knowledge!
Chuck and Donna
Southport NC
Chuck, what type of insulation did you use?

Jeff
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #284

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
In my unit it looks like I have about 3 feet of dead space in back of the vents. Has anyone tried expansible foam to build a wall behind the vents? I know I'm losing so much air to that space.

Jeff

Jeff
Are you taking about the ceiling vents. I used tape and some sticky Frost King insulaton to block off any holes, cracks or gaps. Also to block off the end of the ceiling duct work.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #285

THOR #12231
Quote:
I'm making them with suction cups so they can be put on the inside or the outside. Like the idea of storing them under the bed!

Jeff
Good Idea, Let us know how it works. If you can cover the alumimum window frame (from the outside) it will reduce the amont of heat radiated into the interior (assuming you cover 100% of the windows already). I had mine blocked off with the refective bubbles yesterday (92 deg in full sun) and it kept the inside nice (with AC on of coarse) but I touched the front PS black window frame (it was in full sun at that time) and I could not keep my fingers on it longer than 8 seconds. It was very hot. I might look into insulating the frame (on the inside) someone how as well.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #286

THOR #15031
Quote:
Are you taking about the ceiling vents. I used tape and some sticky Frost King insulaton to block off any holes, cracks or gaps. Also to block off the end of the ceiling duct work.
Yes the ceiling vents, 2 in the bedroom and 2 in the front overhang cab. There is around 3 feet of continued duct work (styrofoam) past the ceiling vents so the air is passing over the vents and going back into a dead space. Do you have a picture of what you did? Has anyone used the spray foam to build a wall to block the airflow?

Jeff
Old 07-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #287

THOR #15031
Quote:
Good Idea, Let us know how it works. If you can cover the alumimum window frame (from the outside) it will reduce the amont of heat radiated into the interior (assuming you cover 100% of the windows already). I had mine blocked off with the refective bubbles yesterday (92 deg in full sun) and it kept the inside nice (with AC on of coarse) but I touched the front PS black window frame (it was in full sun at that time) and I could not keep my fingers on it longer than 8 seconds. It was very hot. I might look into insulating the frame (on the inside) someone how as well.
I've made a couple so far and they seem to be holding in the heat of Florida. The next one O make I will make it to cover the frame also so we will see if that makes a difference.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #288

THOR #12231
Quote:
Yes the ceiling vents, 2 in the bedroom and 2 in the front overhang cab. There is around 3 feet of continued duct work (styrofoam) past the ceiling vents so the air is passing over the vents and going back into a dead space. Do you have a picture of what you did? Has anyone used the spray foam to build a wall to block the airflow?

Jeff
Here you go. I cut some small chucks of Frost King duct insulation (Sticky back kind - FK has like 3 or 4 diff types so get the right one).

I angled the last vent at each end of the duct to smooth out the air flow. It helped to speed up the flow as well. Used some HVAC alumuim tape to keep the Frost king in place (no picture of that).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4851.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	19121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	19122  

Name:	IMG_4854.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	19123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4856.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	19124  

Name:	IMG_4857.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	19125  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #289

THOR #12231
Quote:
I've made a couple so far and they seem to be holding in the heat of Florida. The next one O make I will make it to cover the frame also so we will see if that makes a difference.

Jeff
Take some pictures and let us know how it works.

If you in one spot for a while I can see mounting (the reflective bubbles with suction cups) working well but im afraid with the temp changes and rain/ wind they wont hang on very long or by once season they will be worn out.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:56 AM   #290

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Chuck, what type of insulation did you use?

Jeff
Hello Jeff, I used unfaced fiberglass. I tried to use sheet foam but that didn't work out as planned. I cut the fiberglass down to the vent size I thing it was 7"wide by 15"Long. I also cut the fiberglass down to 2 inches thick and it slid right in. I then used the 3M foil tape to dress up the ends. It sure did make the airflow much stronger at the vents. I wish I had thought of the spray foam, less messy.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #291

THOR #15031
Quote:
Here you go. I cut some small chucks of Frost King duct insulation (Sticky back kind - FK has like 3 or 4 diff types so get the right one).

I angled the last vent at each end of the duct to smooth out the air flow. It helped to speed up the flow as well. Used some HVAC alumuim tape to keep the Frost king in place (no picture of that).
WOW! your rig is so much cleaner than mine. This is the mess I have to deal with. I'm going to approach Thor to fix this under warranty.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	19133  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #292

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Hello Jeff, I used unfaced fiberglass. I tried to use sheet foam but that didn't work out as planned. I cut the fiberglass down to the vent size I thing it was 7"wide by 15"Long. I also cut the fiberglass down to 2 inches thick and it slid right in. I then used the 3M foil tape to dress up the ends. It sure did make the airflow much stronger at the vents. I wish I had thought of the spray foam, less messy.

I just got a chuckle out of the "spray foam, less messy." Let me explain!

I used the spray foam to seal up the ends of my ducts after the last vent. I sprayed the foam in and let it sit for a few minutes. It didn't expand as much as a I though. "I'd better add a little more to that so that it does expand all the way to the last vent", I thought.

When I came back a few hours later to finish off the job, it had turned in to a monster. Three of the four vents were mostly sealed off because of my "add a little more"! We are talking like 3/4 full of spray foam!

I cut off the excess and took a rasp to make the foam smooth. I even trimmed down the edge closest to the AC to make the air flow smoother. Then I looked down--there were little foam balls EVERYWHERE. I cleaned and vacuumed and swept for what seems like hours trying to get all of the foam balls.

That was over a year and a half ago. Every time I get the rig ready for travel, I seem to find at least one foam ball!

So, if you do use the foam, learn from my mistake and be a little judicious when applying it!
Old 07-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #293

THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post
I just got a chuckle out of the "spray foam, less messy." Let me explain!

I used the spray foam to seal up the ends of my ducts after the last vent. I sprayed the foam in and let it sit for a few minutes. It didn't expand as much as a I though. "I'd better add a little more to that so that it does expand all the way to the last vent", I thought.

When I came back a few hours later to finish off the job, it had turned in to a monster. Three of the four vents were mostly sealed off because of my "add a little more"! We are talking like 3/4 full of spray foam!

I cut off the excess and took a rasp to make the foam smooth. I even trimmed down the edge closest to the AC to make the air flow smoother. Then I looked down--there were little foam balls EVERYWHERE. I cleaned and vacuumed and swept for what seems like hours trying to get all of the foam balls.

That was over a year and a half ago. Every time I get the rig ready for travel, I seem to find at least one foam ball!

So, if you do use the foam, learn from my mistake and be a little judicious when applying it!
That's really good advise BSexton, I did a test with spray foam and it did not expand like I thought it would. What brand did you use?

Jeff
Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #294

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
That's really good advise BSexton, I did a test with spray foam and it did not expand like I thought it would. What brand did you use?

Jeff

I'm pretty sure I used the Great Stuff minimal expanding foam.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #295

THOR #12231
Yeah I would not use the expandable foam. Its very messy. I would just block off the end with some sort of insulation then tape it in place and smooth out the air flow with the tape as well.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #296

THOR #12231
Quote:
WOW! your rig is so much cleaner than mine. This is the mess I have to deal with. I'm going to approach Thor to fix this under warranty.

Jeff
Thats crazy, Where was this locatated at in your RV? Mine were petty well formed but I had to pull out some chucks that were suck in the vents in the bedroom.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #297

THOR #15031
Quote:
Thats crazy, Where was this locatated at in your RV? Mine were petty well formed but I had to pull out some chucks that were suck in the vents in the bedroom.
It's behind the 2 vents in the bedroom. You can actually see the sides of the Maxx Air fan with no insulation around it.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #298

THOR #12231
Yeah I was wondering what that was. I would try and insulate it some without restricting the AC air flow.

I think I would stack up foam blocks (cut to fit) then cover with the sticky back Frost King Duct insulation flowed with some HVAC Aluminum Tape to seal it up.

Or maybe use some fiber glass insulation coverd with FK?. I think the spray foam will be to messy (Unless you want to spray and form on newspaper then cut to fit when dry??).

Let us know what you figure out and post some picks. Im sure your not the only one with jacked up ducts from factory.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:58 AM   #299

Model: Aria 3601
State: Kansas
THOR #15949
Can I install a 3rd A/C unit in my Aria 3601? Too hot while driving and is making things very uncomfortable. I can put it where the Fantastic Fan is midship?
Old 07-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #300

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner24 View Post
Can I install a 3rd A/C unit in my Aria 3601? Too hot while driving and is making things very uncomfortable. I can put it where the Fantastic Fan is midship?
Did you try any of the mods in this thread? I am not sure of the length of your rig but with a 36 in the name I am guessing it is 36 or 37 feet long. Our rig is 39 feet long. I did almost all of the mods in this thread. My air can almost freeze you out now.

I can't really answer your question but usually with enough money, you can do anything. Good luck.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote