Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27B
State: Florida
THOR #10618
Turn signal video removal

I’ve got a Hurricane 27B 2018. I don’t use the side mirror video that takes over the Axxera radio when I use my turn signals. I found sitting on the carpet underneath the radio a video switch unit that takes all three cameras and then selects the one to send to the radio screen. I found information on that unit online and by cutting the green, yellow and white wires that connect to it. I still have the rear camera available when I select it on the radio, but when I use my turn signals it no longer takes over the radio cutting off the music to display the outside mirror camera video. Which is what I wanted. I find that the side mirrors provide plenty of visibility for making turns without having to use the side cameras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86E2C749-79BE-4639-ADF9-C6C23097BA8C.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	15425  

Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
So by cutting all 3 triggers does the backup camera still come on when you shift to reverse? Or do you now have to manually select it on the radio?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27B
THOR #10618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
So by cutting all 3 triggers does the backup camera still come on when you shift to reverse? Or do you now have to manually select it on the radio?
I checked and it still switches to the backup cam after shifting to reverse. The doc I found noted only the yellow and white wires, but the right turn still worked until I cut the green. Later I will try reconnecting the yellow and white one at a time to see if they are both needed, but everything still appears to work as I can manually select the rear cam and reverse also selects it and it ignores the turn signals.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #4

State: New Jersey
THOR #17461
I cant even tell you how happy i am that i found this thread.
I did the same, cut the white and yellow wires with the same result.
I added switches on the dash so that i could turn the blinker cams on and off as needed, and leave them off at night so i dont get blinded by the right side camera when im changing lanes at night, and have them on when navigating a tight turn or something of that nature.
I was beginning to think i had a faulty switch or went completely color blind until i came across this post.
moved my right side switch wires to the green wire and now it works perfectly.
THANK YOU!
Old 12-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I imagine the camera no longer comes on if you turn on the 4 ways.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #6

THOR #17461
Probably not, but when you are changing lanes at night they are more a safety hazard than feature
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #7

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
Love this post. We think the side cameras are the dumbest feature ever and quite frankly a safety issue for us. When we had the Axis we switched to the Jensen JRV215NR radio which had a setting to simply ignore the side camera feeds so the rear camera stayed on even when a turn signal was on. With the toad it is imperative that you understand your clearances to merge and switch lanes with the traffic around you. The rear camera does a great job for this. Losing the rear camera feed due to the side cameras – which provide nothing that you don’t already see just fine in your mirrors, was extremely frustrating. Just yesterday I was in talking to a RV shop to replace our camera system for our new rig. Ensuring that the new setup keeps the feed on the rear camera is our top priority.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVeltingJr View Post
Probably not, but when you are changing lanes at night they are more a safety hazard than feature
Why do you think they are a safety hazard at night?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1863 View Post
Love this post. We think the side cameras are the dumbest feature ever and quite frankly a safety issue for us. When we had the Axis we switched to the Jensen JRV215NR radio which had a setting to simply ignore the side camera feeds so the rear camera stayed on even when a turn signal was on. With the toad it is imperative that you understand your clearances to merge and switch lanes with the traffic around you. The rear camera does a great job for this. Losing the rear camera feed due to the side cameras – which provide nothing that you don’t already see just fine in your mirrors, was extremely frustrating. Just yesterday I was in talking to a RV shop to replace our camera system for our new rig. Ensuring that the new setup keeps the feed on the rear camera is our top priority.
I have found the side pcameras to be quite useful when maneuvering around tight corners, when pulling up to gas pumps and when backing into camp sites. But then I took the time to gain an understanding of their benefits rather than what I perceive to be their weakness. BTW, I do know how to use and adjust side view mirrors.

As a note, I like my new setup with the cameras on the side of the coach better than the cameras higher up on the mirrors. The Freightliner truck mirrors are 500 percent better than the Thor mirrors could ever be.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Just get a new monitor for the cameras and dont use the radio monitor. You can set up whatever configuration you want

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172722.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	21736Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172738.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	21737
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #11

THOR #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Why do you think they are a safety hazard at night?
Because when you are trying to look at your passenger mirror and the bright white screen lights up its makes it difficult to see.
Im glad you know how to adjust your mirrors, that would be worse than a bright white light in the cab at night if you didnt.
I too see their benefit, which is why i put them on a switch so i could use them when i wanted to, and not when i dont.
I also learned how to drive without cameras anywhere when i got my cdl, so i dont need them.

I dont understand the hostility about the issue tho, or am i misreading it?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVeltingJr View Post
Because when you are trying to look at your passenger mirror and the bright white screen lights up its makes it difficult to see.
Im glad you know how to adjust your mirrors, that would be worse than a bright white light in the cab at night if you didnt.
I too see their benefit, which is why i put them on a switch so i could use them when i wanted to, and not when i dont.
I also learned how to drive without cameras anywhere when i got my cdl, so i dont need them.

I dont understand the hostility about the issue tho, or am i misreading it?
I wasn't aware my post or any other contained any "hostility". I asked a simple question to gain an understanding of someone's logic. Sorry if I invaded your safe space by asking a logical question.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #8987
Has anyone done this to a thor 2018 vegas ? thanks
Old 12-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipreville View Post
Exact same setup.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 AM   #15

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
There is a single wire that needs to be cut. I believe it is purple, but I'd have to go back and check the posts from last June to be sure. Just like the person above, you can put a switch in line with the cut wire so you can turn it on and off as desired. Also, for less than $125, I completely replaced the very poor Axxera monitor with a 9" screen that is dedicated full time to cameras. I was going to all three cameras at once but the view with full-time center camera only was SO good, I don't even bother with the mirror cameras any more.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #16

THOR #15054
Quote:
I just found it. My post is #12 in this thread and I have posted pics on what the back of the Axxera radio looks like and which wire needs to be cut. It is orange, but switches to lavender.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...nal-15595.html
Old 12-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #17

Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
You have the same Rear View Safety Switcher as me. The simplest, least damaging way is look at the 3 camera inputs on the Switcher. Using trial and error, just unscrew the camera inputs for the left and right cameras.

If that doesn't work, go to https://www.rearviewsafety.com/ and look for the pin diagram for the Switcher box.

There is a "trigger" wire for each side camera and the rear camera.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #8987
Thank you..
Old 12-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I just found it. My post is #12 in this thread and I have posted pics on what the back of the Axxera radio looks like and which wire needs to be cut. It is orange, but switches to lavender.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...nal-15595.html

Thank you TimmyB for the look-back. We have had enough of that sideview camera distraction.

Merry Christmas to All !!
Old 12-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #20

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post
Thank you TimmyB for the look-back. We have had enough of that sideview camera distraction.

Merry Christmas to All !!
No problem. Even though we already traded our Vegas in, I think adding the monitor was one of the best things I did! Having a vivid, 9" screen dedicated to what was behind you 100% of the time made it SO much safer. Add to that the security of keeping an eye on what is on your trailer hitch, it's a win-win. Less than $130 all in, plus a little bit of trial and error figuring out which wire does what!

Good luck with your solution!

Tags
turn signal video