Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
I guess maybe he got it fixed ??
I'm thinking about two options for me, Go to thor factory service or to a place in wichita Ks to get a bunch of little things done. The place in wichita comes highly recommended and would be less expensive but I need a road trip.. Its not fun having all this free time and spending it on a lawn mower.
I've been redoing some plumbing on the slide that has the Dishwasher in it. When i bring the slide in (18") it kinks pipe and wire against the frame and you can play notes on the hot/cold water lines. I found that it also kinks the heater lines from the Aquahot. Bad design on their part for sure.. I can only work on it early in the morning as the temps lately have been in the 100's.
Have some friends in Wisconsin that I might go visit in August and I do have a short weekend plained in 10 days..
Sorry to ramble on, I'm just bored and (eye surgery in 3 weeks) oh joy

Old 06-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #42

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
The folks that reqest help and dissappear unfortunately outnumber the ones that follow up

Three of my most aggravating issues when the Tuscany was new were kinked hoses due to sloppy techs and no QA

Always something to tweor improve if you look around

Wichita is hot right now

What is your eye surgery?
Old 06-14-2022, 10:22 PM   #43

THOR #24608
remove cats in both and doing the lense replacement at the same time. When done I'm told i can see a nit on a flea.
If I had to cut the fluid lines going to the Aquahot to re route and use a metal coupler, would I be asking for more trouble ? The kink in that line I plan to split a 1" pvc pipe about 5" put that around the fluid pipe and secure with 3 hose clamps. Then support it to push as straight to the middle of the bay as I can get. As for the flex drain hose, I re did the solid pipe using 3, 22.5 degree elbows to aim the fitting over the frame and to the middle of the bin, I feel as I will need to replace the flex as the kink is not coming out I might try the split pipe on it as well
El Dorado state park on the 24th so i have time to fix that stuff
Thanks for being here for me. Its nice having friends here
Old 06-15-2022, 11:40 AM   #44

THOR #9178
Sounds good on the cat/lens

I use copper pex rings when working on Aquahot

No issues however some have 5/8 tubing which is hard to find

Good improvements for the factory mistakes

Before retirement my company that i worked for did the water treatment for the Refinery at Eldorado

Our lake house is North of there at Milford Lake

And your welcome!
Old 06-22-2022, 04:16 PM   #45

THOR #24608
All the small things

Seams like the small to do's add up but I feel like I'm getting ahead of them. of all the big projects one of my WANTS is to run a coleman 1500 AC from a inverter and have solar. I have a 30 amp solar controller installed and ready for a panel. I found a few i like but I have other things on my list to do before I order what I need.
A few months ago I worked to open the grey water tank vent. I still feel it is plugged. Having done more reasurach I stated before that only the black tank is vented to the roof but I have learned the grey comes up behind the toilet and with a sweep Y it connects to the black vent pipe. Deep inside the manual fill bin for the fresh water where you can't get to, is a clean out cap. I plan to get a unclogger and push it as far as it will go.
Waiting for cooler temps and reseal the front cap. Remove all the old and put down clean, new sealant. I've watched videos of what others did to do this and hopefully it goes as well for me. Most everyone tells me to use that tape stuff. I found some on line that has a high rating so I ordered it along with a sealant spray.
Other projects include replacing the LED's on the awnings. I have carefree awnings. Using their product the reviews are not so good. they claim the lights don't last much more than a year and they replaced them with a much cheaper product that lasts longer than the manufacturers
Looking forward to this weekend Going to see my sister and camp at the lake for a few days. I think taking a break from my list will do me some good and to enjoy the relaxed retired life.
thanks for letting me ramble on.
Mike & cat
Old 06-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #46

THOR #24608
Stupid question,, does the shower drain into the grey tank ?

Had a great time at the lake. I even got my bright white legs in shorts and into the boat.
Not sure why but I smelled black tank the entire way home and it was only 1/3 filled. the roof vent was closed and you could smell it strong just outside the bathroom door. Dumped and washed it out when I got home, smell is gone.

Stated removing the sealant from the front cap today. Came off in chunks and cleaned up well. about 2 hours total. Back cap tomorrow then the new seal for both after that. No rain in the forecast... so I have time.
Removed the sealant with a plastic putty knife and cleaned the res with denatured alcohol. Planning to wipe it again tomorrow and then with water. While the weather is pleasant I'll re seal the two vents and what ever else is up there..
Old 06-27-2022, 10:29 PM   #47

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by First RV 4 me View Post
Stupid question,, does the shower drain into the grey tank ?

Had a great time at the lake. I even got my bright white legs in shorts and into the boat.
Not sure why but I smelled black tank the entire way home and it was only 1/3 filled. the roof vent was closed and you could smell it strong just outside the bathroom door. Dumped and washed it out when I got home, smell is gone.

Stated removing the sealant from the front cap today. Came off in chunks and cleaned up well. about 2 hours total. Back cap tomorrow then the new seal for both after that. No rain in the forecast... so I have time.
Removed the sealant with a plastic putty knife and cleaned the res with denatured alcohol. Planning to wipe it again tomorrow and then with water. While the weather is pleasant I'll re seal the two vents and what ever else is up there..
My shower goes into the second black tank. I have the macerator toilet in the bedroom which goes in the same tank the shower goes into. Washing machine into the same tank

The black tank gets teh 1/2 bath stool and sink.

Kind of strange for sure
Old 06-28-2022, 12:39 AM   #48

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by First RV 4 me View Post
Seams like the small to do's add up but I feel like I'm getting ahead of them. of all the big projects one of my WANTS is to run a coleman 1500 AC from a inverter and have solar. I have a 30 amp solar controller installed and ready for a panel. I found a few i like but I have other things on my list to do before I order what I need.
A few months ago I worked to open the grey water tank vent. I still feel it is plugged. Having done more reasurach I stated before that only the black tank is vented to the roof but I have learned the grey comes up behind the toilet and with a sweep Y it connects to the black vent pipe. Deep inside the manual fill bin for the fresh water where you can't get to, is a clean out cap. I plan to get a unclogger and push it as far as it will go.
Waiting for cooler temps and reseal the front cap. Remove all the old and put down clean, new sealant. I've watched videos of what others did to do this and hopefully it goes as well for me. Most everyone tells me to use that tape stuff. I found some on line that has a high rating so I ordered it along with a sealant spray.
Other projects include replacing the LED's on the awnings. I have carefree awnings. Using their product the reviews are not so good. they claim the lights don't last much more than a year and they replaced them with a much cheaper product that lasts longer than the manufacturers
Looking forward to this weekend Going to see my sister and camp at the lake for a few days. I think taking a break from my list will do me some good and to enjoy the relaxed retired life.
thanks for letting me ramble on.
Mike & cat

yes the black and grey use same vent stack it does WYE down near the tank
i use a bright orange 1/4" air hose. i hose clamped to a 1/4 outlet barb water bib and then leave the other end with the heavy brass coupler male end attached and fish it down the vent while DW manages the water pressure, once i get to the wye, i rotate the hose a bit until i feel it drop into the tank, then i flush and move it around , upon exit i did the same until it popped into the grey tank and flushed it
i have found the vent cut off for the black tank is very low in tank and tends to grab TP and clog

works like a champ, i have on occasion ran it all the way to the clear drain coupler
Old 08-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #49

THOR #24608
Cooler Temps .. Yee Haw

Hey all, Hope this finds you well. I'm getting ready to snow bird again and Happy to say my to do list is getting shorter.
I was able to get the Grey and Black vent open and cleaned out. A lot of crud did come out of the vent tube. The idas of using the orange hose with a spray head did the job well.
I haven't finished the solar just yet but plan to soon. I found some scraped 110 wire under the bed where the flex drain pipe metal plumbers strap was cutting the insulation off the SJO cable. The OEM ran the cable under everything and caused the wire stress when the slide was IN. A previous post talking about the possibility of the flex plumbing coming apart under the bed is how i found out about the wire. I replaced and ran it over all the pipes and wire in the area with a 7' length of cable. It wasn't at all easy getting to the box !
I also put led tape under the sink, two low cabinets in the kitchen and all the overhead storage bins with a switch on the left side doors so that when open the light would come on. Now i don't need a flash light to see in.
Plan to go to Arizona late october then maybe Brownsville in January or so...
Mike & Cat
Old 10-28-2022, 09:20 PM   #50

THOR #24608
AquaHot zones not correct

I have 3 roof zones, AC and Heat Pumps. Front is zone 1, Middle is zone 2 and rear is zone 3. However when I use Aqua Hot heat and I set Heat on zone 1 the rear starts heating and when I select zone 3, zone 1 blows heat. The back gets rather hot because the sensor in in the front of the coach. I suspect that Aqua Hot is wiring 1/3 is swapped at the factory. Is the control board in the Aqua Hot bay where I should begin my search or ???
Thanks for any help
Mike
Old 10-28-2022, 10:15 PM   #51

THOR #9178
Mike

When you put your new thermostat in that would be the place to move wires to correct the zones

The Aquahot 400 doesn't have a circulation loop so it uses zone 2

Only 2 zones up and you do have two registers down in the basement though on different thermostats

Starting the Aquahot will put hot water through zone 2 but shouldn't power the register motors

Hopefully that helps

Not many on here with Aquahot 400 series
Old 10-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #52

THOR #9178
Some are labeled zones 1 and 3 instead of 2
Old 11-06-2022, 07:51 AM   #53

Model: Tuscany 34ST
State: Florida
THOR #28130
ST34 slide rubbing on tile issue

Just got a 2013 34ST. Love it so far after 6 days of travel. The long passenger slide leaves a 6” black greasy stripe on the tile when closed in the sink area. Something rubs on the tile and I’m afraid it may crack it. Cannot see anything with strong flashlight. What sort of adjustment am I looking at? Selling dealer said I should put something thin on floor to protect it, ha!
Old 11-06-2022, 11:51 AM   #54

THOR #9178
Check your slide and adjust the leveling bolts when it is open completely on a level surface

It is most likely out of square and not level

Check the rollers and brackets also

Does your Tuscany have hydraulic cylinders on the slides?
Old 11-06-2022, 01:01 PM   #55

Model: Tuscany 34ST
State: Florida
THOR #28130
Smile 34ST Slide Scuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Check your slide and adjust the leveling bolts when it is open completely on a level surface

It is most likely out of square and not level

Check the rollers and brackets also

Does your Tuscany have hydraulic cylinders on the slides?
Thanks for responding.

1. Not sure where leveling bolts are, even after watching YouTube videos. Is there a leveling bolt midway between the ends?

2. Can’t see rollers or brackets, what is the trick there to seeing and adjusting?

3. No hydraulic cylinders, has the Schwintek rack and pinion setup. Something to do here?

I’m an engineer, so not afraid to further diagnose before turning over to experts. ;o)
Old 11-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #56

THOR #9178
Would have been good if you had hydraulic however there are upgrades if yours fails that are well documented on the forum

The bolts should be at each end of the slide on the bottom on the guide/structural rails. Now I have never had anything but hydraulics even on the 5th wheels and never paid any attention to electric so maybe different.

I didn't know Tuscany built any without hydraulics so new to me

Rollers are very hard to work on and unless you have a shop, I would take to a dealership for that although some are able to be inspected depending on construction
Old 11-06-2022, 09:20 PM   #57

THOR #1808
Quote:
Would have been good if you had hydraulic however there are upgrades if yours fails that are well documented on the forum

The bolts should be at each end of the slide on the bottom on the guide/structural rails. Now I have never had anything but hydraulics even on the 5th wheels and never paid any attention to electric so maybe different.

I didn't know Tuscany built any without hydraulics so new to me

Rollers are very hard to work on and unless you have a shop, I would take to a dealership for that although some are able to be inspected depending on construction

all six of mine are BAL cable pulley system. oh the joy when a cable breaks and hides in the wall area.:eek :
Old 11-06-2022, 09:54 PM   #58

THOR #9178
Dang, guess I am just not up to all the Tuscany's out there

All we looked at were 43 foot or longer and every single one was a hydraulic slide unit

We had hydraulic and wanted to stay with it so maybe that was part of the
search

This was in 2016 and I know they stayed with hydraulic on the larger coaches anyway

Always learn something and watching a neighbor years back with broken cables convinced me then the next 5th wheel would have hydraulic leveling, and slides and the Landmark did
Old 11-07-2022, 02:57 AM   #59

THOR #1808
Quote:
Dang, guess I am just not up to all the Tuscany's out there

All we looked at were 43 foot or longer and every single one was a hydraulic slide unit

We had hydraulic and wanted to stay with it so maybe that was part of the
search

This was in 2016 and I know they stayed with hydraulic on the larger coaches anyway

Always learn something and watching a neighbor years back with broken cables convinced me then the next 5th wheel would have hydraulic leveling, and slides and the Landmark did
even when they were built by damon, it was a crap shoot on hyd or cables
the ones with the large single slide for kitchen and salon had hyd
but all the small s,ides were cabled.
so far mine stay put once closed , but i have broken a cable and its an adventure if its not were you can see it .
i have 6 slides and its TIGHT on room on the sides.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #60

THOR #9178
You definitely have a classic in several ways

All Tuscany coaches we have seen have been well equipped and very nice

With the new higher prices on everything, we will see more interest in preservation and maintenance

Tags
thor tuscany, tuscany mods, tuscany upgrades