RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
Posts: 70
THOR #19277
TV outlet dead when vehicle is not in Park

Doh!!! I've owned my 2017 Freedom Elite 23H for 2 years and just today discovered that the 120vac TV outlet, and ONLY that one outlet, goes dead when the vehicle is shifted out of park. It does not matter whether the parking brake is set.

I understand the concept of driver distraction but it is a bit stupid in this case because the TV is behind and above the driver where it can't be seen from the driver's seat.

I have other stuff plugged into that same outlet that needs AC power while the vehicle is in motion including a laptop that needs to stay charged.

I've studied the electrical diagrams (attached) that I got from TMC but, either they don't match my vehicle, or I'm missing something.

There is only one breaker in my AC panel for non-GFCI outlets. When that breaker is off, more than one outlet goes dead, not just the TV outlet. Therefore, there must be a relay between the breaker panel and the outlet that is controlled by 12vdc from the dashboard.

Can somebody please tell me the physical location of that relay?
__________________

__________________
Wiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
Posts: 181
THOR #19133
Did you not see the TV lockout on the last schematic? The note says TV lockout moved behind microwave.
__________________

__________________
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
Posts: 70
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Did you not see the TV lockout on the last schematic? The note says TV lockout moved behind microwave.
I did not see that. Thank you for pointing it out.

I will be pulling the microwave later today.
__________________
Wiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
Posts: 70
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Did you not see the TV lockout on the last schematic? The note says TV lockout moved behind microwave.
Harry:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Did I say "Thank You"?

I just finished pulling the Greystone microwave. Just 4 screws. Behind it, I found a square steel electrical box mounted on the outside wall. Inside there is a 120vac relay controlled by a 12vdc line, one yellow wire and one white wire. The control circuit is energized only when the vehicle is in park.

Here's the best part: Because the relay is normally closed, if somebody wanted to defeat the TV outlet lockout, they would only need to pinch the plastic DC connector and pull it out. No tools. No parts. No wiring.

Of course, I would never do that because it might upset the people at DOT. But, at least I know how it works now.
__________________
Wiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,760
THOR #8860
So I guess you're all set to watch all of those Bing Crosby and Bob Hope "on the Road" movies now...
If it doesn't upset all of the "Safetycrats"...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,818
THOR #1469
The Thor diagrams were removed because they are proprietary and per the copyright statement did not include the express written permission from Thor for posting on an open forum.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
Posts: 70
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The Thor diagrams were removed because they are proprietary and per the copyright statement did not include the express written permission from Thor for posting on an open forum.
Ooops! Sorry.
That never occured to me because I found them on an open website.

Would it have been OK if I posted a link to the Thor website instead?
__________________
Wiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
Posts: 181
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
Harry:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Did I say "Thank You"?

I just finished pulling the Greystone microwave. Just 4 screws. Behind it, I found a square steel electrical box mounted on the outside wall. Inside there is a 120vac relay controlled by a 12vdc line, one yellow wire and one white wire. The control circuit is energized only when the vehicle is in park.

Here's the best part: Because the relay is normally closed, if somebody wanted to defeat the TV outlet lockout, they would only need to pinch the plastic DC connector and pull it out. No tools. No parts. No wiring.

Of course, I would never do that because it might upset the people at DOT. But, at least I know how it works now.
Glad I could be of some help.
__________________
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #9
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,818
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
Ooops! Sorry.
That never occured to me because I found them on an open website.

Would it have been OK if I posted a link to the Thor website instead?
That would be between you and Thor. They must grant the permission per their copyright notice.

FYI, anyone that owns a Thor coach can obtain the diagrams For their rig from Thor upon request.
__________________

__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×