Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
The Jensen Radio in the Bedroom

We have a Challenger 37lx. The Jensen radio in the bedroom drives the outside speakers. We recently replaced the outside TV with a Samsung smart TV, and were hoping to pair it with the Jensen to send the TV sound to the outside speakers. No such luck. The TV could not find the Jensen. We even tried one of the Bluetooth dongles recommended here and that would not find the Jensen either. DH's iPhone finds the Jensen and pairs with it within 20-25 ft or so of the radio so the Bluetooth does work on the Jensen, but will lose it when he moves near the outside TV which is farther away in our 38ft RV. Apparently the distance between the Jensen and the outside TV is just too far. TV pairs with the dash Axxera radio but that doesn't help with sound outside.

So now we're thinking about replacing the Jensen with another Bluetooth enabled radio that hopefully the outdoor Samsung will find and pair with. Has anyone replaced the Jensen in their RV, Challenger or other, and if so with what?

Or, has anyone had similar issues pairing an outside smart TV with the Jensen located in the bedroom?

Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Does the TV have Bluetooth? We have a Samsung smart TV but it does not have Bluetooth, only WiFi.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
I have been considering your problem and you can buy a bluetooth transmitter that connects to the audio out of your tv. I am assuming that you downloaded the J control app to your phone. If not that is essential to make the bluetooth work. On the app you select the input to the radio. I select the bluetooth input to stream from my phone and assume it would be the same for the tv. Anything that goes through your hdmi splitter will stream to the outside speakers as well. We send audio to the outside speakers from our sattelite and Fire tv that both go through the hdmi splitter. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
My Seiki TV is connected to the bedroom Jensen by wire. The RCA Sound Output from the TV is connected to the AUX input of the Jensen. You might check to see if your coach was wired the same way.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #5

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
I don't have a remote for the Axxera radio/rear camera, wonder if you have found an easy way to maneuver around that radio. I cannot find FM, and the screen is way too dim to be very usable as a rear mirror, monitor.

Any suggestions on what you may have done to improve the brightness of the rear monitor, and FM radio?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Trying to get devices to pair up... This is the game that I call:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532557571
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	How About Now.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	11767  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I have been considering your problem and you can buy a bluetooth transmitter that connects to the audio out of your tv. I am assuming that you downloaded the J control app to your phone. If not that is essential to make the bluetooth work. On the app you select the input to the radio. I select the bluetooth input to stream from my phone and assume it would be the same for the tv. Anything that goes through your hdmi splitter will stream to the outside speakers as well. We send audio to the outside speakers from our sattelite and Fire tv that both go through the hdmi splitter. Good luck.
The JControl app is great but it's not needed to simply connect an external sound source like a TV or phone via bluetooth to the Jensen.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
Tfryman, That may be true but without the app you can't change volume or inputs while outside. You do have to hit the bluetooth button on the Jensen itself to sync your phone or whatever bluetooth device your adding.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #9

THOR #6310
The TV has Bluetooth and will pair with the Axxera radio in the dash, but cannot find the Jensen in the bedroom. We tried plugging a Bluetooth dongle into the TV and that could find the dash Axxera as well but not the bedroom Jensen. An iPhone pairs up fine with the Jensen when outside the RV but not in the area of the TV. I truly believe the issue is distance, or something is blocking the signal.

Unfortunately no wires run from the Jensen to the TV. The AUX input is on the front of the radio. No connections on the back side except the wires that run to the bedroom speakers and outside speakers, and the power source.

There are so many things missing/different on this Challenger compared to others of the same year and model that I sometimes wonder if I got some sort of test or training model.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Probably have the refrigerator or other RF blocking devices between the outside TV and the Jensen.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #11

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Probably have the refrigerator or other RF blocking devices between the outside TV and the Jensen.
The fridge is right next to the outside TV, and between the TV and the radio.