Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31A
State: Iowa
THOR #3906
TV running while generator is on

So when we purchased out motorhome, the dealer said the large tv would work while the generator was on while we were driving. On our trip we found out that this is not the case. Any suggestions on how we can make this happen?

2014 Passport Grand Touring
2014 Thor Chateau 31A
Sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Are you saying that the TV would not turn on? Or reception was poor?
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Sounds like no A/C power
Old 07-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Does the TV work on shore power but not on the generator? I have never heard that one. If that is the case, it must be that somehow all the electrical outlets are not fed by the generator. Inverters are often hooked up that way, but generators are usually not. You can easily check that by checking the power at the outlet that feeds the TV. If no power is going to that outlet while under generator power, you need to call Thor and ask if that is normal (I bet it is not) and get a 110v electrical diagram for your coach. Sounds like something is miswired.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #5

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Does the TV work on shore power but not on the generator? I have never heard that one. If that is the case, it must be that somehow all the electrical outlets are not fed by the generator. Inverters are often hooked up that way, but generators are usually not. You can easily check that by checking the power at the outlet that feeds the TV. If no power is going to that outlet while under generator power, you need to call Thor and ask if that is normal (I bet it is not) and get a 110v electrical diagram for your coach. Sounds like something is miswired.
On some units, the TV will not work when the vehicle is in motion for safety purposes. Can you see the TV from the drivers seat? If so, that may be the reason....
Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I didn't think Thor was that sophisticated. Is it true on the ACE? I've never had any inclination to try it in my Vegas or Axis... Has anyone else?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If your coach is like my prior Class C with the TV on a swivel over the drivers compartment, more than likely there is a kill switch that will not allow the TV to be viewed while driving. The feds don't care whether or not the driver can see it, but they mandate the kill switch just like you can't use the in dash DVD player while driving. Your dealer should have know that and pointed it out when asked.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Does other 120V stuff work when the generator is running? Perhaps the breaker on the generator tripped.

(The TV on our Axis works on generator while going down the road: Our son uses it with his Playstation while we're driving all the time.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:23 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
On my previous Hurricane coach, I had a front mounted TV that would not work when the engine was running, however, I unplugged it from the switched outlet, and plugged it into the working outlet the video switcher and DVD player so the kids could watch while we were driving. During the day, it wasn't much of an issue, however, at night, the brightness of the screen was a bit distracting. Usually, I'd have them watch tv in their bunks at night.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
On some units, the TV will not work when the vehicle is in motion for safety purposes. Can you see the TV from the drivers seat? If so, that may be the reason....
I tried to turn my TV on while parked in the driveway with the engine running. Nothing. Its a safety thing.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I tried to turn my TV on while parked in the driveway with the engine running. Nothing. Its a safety thing.
They must have made this change after the 2015 models came out. My TVs work while driving and the generator running. Doesn't pick up much over the air with the antennae down but the picture comes and goes.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
They must have made this change after the 2015 models came out. My TVs work while driving and the generator running. Doesn't pick up much over the air with the antennae down but the picture comes and goes.
Larry,

It is not a change. Class C motor homes, by all manufacturers, that have the television over the cab are usually configured that way so the driver is not distracted by the television.

The same system should be in play for Class A motor homes that have the television mounted in a cabinet over the dash.

Whether or not the TV functions while the engine is running depends on where it is mounted within the coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
The same system should be in play for Class A motor homes that have the television mounted in a cabinet over the dash.

Whether or not the TV functions while the engine is running depends on where it is mounted within the coach.
In all of the Axis/Vegas models the main TV is mounted above the entry door easily visible from the driver (especially when looking to the right when changing lanes).

It can be quite distracting if the TV is on when going down the road--especially at night as it lights up the interior of the coach.

Given Thor's quality issues I can see every other Axis/Vegas having the safety "feature" and the other ones not having it!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #14

THOR #1123
Given Thor's quality issues I can see every other Axis/Vegas having the safety "feature" and the other ones not having it! [/QUOTE]

Jamie,

I can believe that since Penguin stated that his Axis 25.2 TV doesn't work with his engine running. It would probably be best if this was the case with all of them.

I wasn't watching mine while driving though. Would never try it and probably couldn't contort myself into that position anyway. I only had it on to add a bit more load to the generator while exercising it.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
I can believe that since Penguin stated that his Axis 25.2 TV doesn't work with his engine running. It would probably be best if this was the case with all of them.

I wasn't watching mine while driving though. Would never try it and probably couldn't contort myself into that position anyway. I only had it on to add a bit more load to the generator while exercising it.
It is also possible that newer models with the 32" TV there have it disabled while driving and older models (such as mine with the 28" TV) allow you to have it on. Granted 4" isn't much but it is evident if you look at a 28" side by side with a 32".
Old 07-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I know this because I was showing my friend all the cool stuff about the Axis and the damn TV would not come on. I thought darn it something is broke now. So I turned off the motor and was getting ready to call the dealer but thought I would try 1 more time to turn on the TV. Tah-Dah it worked. Don't know about anyone else's TV's but this is how mine is. I'm not a big TV fan but that's a WHOLE other story.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
There is another possible explanation. All state laws are different and it is possible that either Thor wires them for the state in which the dealer is located, the dealer re-wires them, or Thor wires them based on the most restrictive state law.

FWIW, here is a link to the Telematic laws for the various states.

Telematics - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

The original poster with the Class C would fall into the law concerning the television mounted forward of the back of the driver's seat.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #18

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
There is another possible explanation. All state laws are different and it is possible that either Thor wires them for the state in which the dealer is located, the dealer re-wires them, or Thor wires them based on the most restrictive state law.

FWIW, here is a link to the Telematic laws for the various states.

Telematics - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

The original poster with the Class C would fall into the law concerning the television mounted forward of the back of the driver's seat.
Dave,

That's interesting and especially so since mine was purchased in Elkhart, IN.

INDIANA
A person may not own or operate a motor vehicle that has a television set installed in a manner that allows the person driving the vehicle to see the television set.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:30 AM   #19

THOR #3906
No I cannot, it is above the cab.
2014 Thor Chateau 31A
Old 07-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #20

THOR #3906
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
If your coach is like my prior Class C with the TV on a swivel over the drivers compartment, more than likely there is a kill switch that will not allow the TV to be viewed while driving. The feds don't care whether or not the driver can see it, but they mandate the kill switch just like you can't use the in dash DVD player while driving. Your dealer should have know that and pointed it out when asked.
The two DVD's work in the bunks, but not the big one. We asked if you can view it with the generator on and they said yes. We thought that was great so everyone (except the driver) could watch a movie. They never pointed it out.
2014 Thor Chateau 31A