Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
TV Upgrades All Model RVs Read before you Buy.

After the first week I Upgraded the 3 TVs in our 2017 Axis 24.1. BUT this POST is for every RVer to consider.
I did select the SAMSUNG Smart 525D 32" for all 3.
The Main reason was this model has SCREEN MIRRORING and is Wi Fi ready.
This is important because if you have SAT. or CABLE @ Home you download the providers App. (I have Dish) to your phone, laptop or tablet for FREE.
Now where ever I have "cell service or Wi Fi" I log onto Dish App. on my phone,tablet,laptop.
The FULL GUIDE is now on my phone,tablet,laptop broadcasting EVERY SHOW Plus ALL Shows I have Recorded!
Now on the SAMSUNG Smart 525D when you hit the IMPUT BUTTON one of the choices is SCREEN MIRRORING.
I then press SCREEN MIRRORING (sometimes called "smart view" on my phone, tablet or laptop... and BINGO We are watching the Blackhawks, Bears or any Channel we have at home including DVR! on the SAMSUNG Smart 525D.

Also this Model is Wi Fi ready meaning you will not need extra devices.
You would use a tablet or phone on Wi Fi @ campground etc. log into your App Dish, ATT&T, DirectTV...etc. Input SCREEN MIRRORING on TV. what is on your device is on tv.

While TRAVELING IN MOTION.
I TURN my phone HOTSPOT ON.
Log on to Dish with App. on my tablet. Tablets are under $50.00 now (I use tablet that way my ph. is still free for me to use while driving with no interruptions.) Now every station is on while IN MOTION that I subscribe to @ home.

My other past RVs I had the Winegard Automatic Satellite Systems THEY R AWESOME PRODUCTS! but expensive. And do not need CELL SERVICE or Wi Fi to work perfectly.

This is Something I think is worth wild looking into Because you might already have Cable or Sat. @ Home and Already have Screen Mirroring or if you Upgrade it is of no extra cost just look for a TV model that has it.

Questions Please Reply.
Safe Travels.....Rev.

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey
While TRAVELING IN MOTION.
I TURN my phone HOTSPOT ON.
Log on to Dish with App. on my tablet. Tablets are under $50.00 now (I use tablet that way my ph. is still free for me to use while driving with no interruptions.) Now every station is on while IN MOTION that I subscribe to @ home.
And chew through your data on your cellular plan.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Site Team

THOR #7074
You are not always using your data plan (free WI Fi). I have unlimited Data. (the unlimited data Plan was cheaper than purchasing Satellite equipt. and installation.and I already am paying for Dish @ home.) You are not always using your data plan. This also works over Wi Fi. when parked where available. I realize this is not for everyone but others would find very interesting just trying to help others out.
It is something people should think about if already committed to replacing tvs. This works and works Awesome.
Data Hotspot plan is also great while in motion can connect 5 devices or ipads if kids need to look places up while I am Driving. If you are a SPORTS FAN this is a Great work around for watching your team.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I have a question regarding WiFi while parked.

Do most RV parks or campgrounds have sufficient WiFi speed to support streaming? I have little tolerance for watching a movie interrupted by poor WiFi speed. I guess it depends on where you frequently spend your time determines what hurdles you will be faced with.

Based on my experiences with hotels, I rely on the Netflix download option, much more reliable, yet limited selection.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey
You are not always using your data plan (free WI Fi). I have unlimited Data
I was referencing your "while on the road" statement. I know of no travelling WiFi (maybe WiMax but that has been going away for a while now).

Note that I'm not really knocking your solution as many cable and satellite providers are now offering a streaming solution to watch your shows on your channels away from home.

I would add to that you can now get "cord cutting" solutions as well from plans like "Playstation Vue", and "YouTube TV" (where everything is streaming, even when at home).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman
Do most RV parks or campgrounds have sufficient WiFi speed to support streaming? I have little tolerance for watching a movie interrupted by poor WiFi speed. I guess it depends on where you frequently spend your time determines what hurdles you will be faced with.
That is the crux: So far I have never been to a campground with fast enough wifi to even watch a few seconds of youtube let alone stream live TV. Many of the campgrounds even have a warning in their map/brochure to that you don't try streaming on their network.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
And chew through your data on your cellular plan.
We have ATT cellular service and DIRECTV NOW (streaming)

The DIRECTV NOW data is "free" on the ATT cell plan...and we can stream on demand as well as the normal LIVE TV channels.

We actually added a smartphone to our plan, and use it strictly for VEGAS RV use (to provide hotspot wifi, as well as connection to the TV through HDMI to the phone)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7074
While on the road = Hotspot for me.
Also one of the things that started this with me was.....After hearing all of the New Cell Offers advertised ( I have Sprint ) I Never had Hot Spot or Unlimited.
I called Sprint to switch carriers... and you Guessed it ! I am Still with Sprint Now have HotSpot, Unlimited Data and $50.00 month cheaper plan?? (I have family on plan 4 phones.) They do not call older customers on older plans for a cheaper deal. I am sure we all learned that with other services. Make the ph. call and see what new offers your carrier has could save you $$. Also I didn't know about "Playstation Vue", and "YouTube TV" will have my son look into it! Learned something new today that's always my goal! Thank you.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7074
Great to know. The only difference is if your TV has "screen mirroring" new tvs have it. No need for hdmi cable. I also use this method for watching games in garage or by the pool All Wireless. Plug tv in and go no other boxes or receivers.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7074
I turn on hot spot on my ph. in motion.
then my kids go online with a tablet I purchased and use that for the tv. changing channels etc.
That way my phone is free for me to use if I get text or calls.
Sounds techie but really not.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #10

Brand: Dutchmen
Model: Denali 35ES
State: Indiana
THOR #7178
Sounds like a great idea
Old 05-08-2017, 03:38 AM   #11

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I have a question regarding WiFi while parked.

Based on my experiences with hotels, I rely on the Netflix download option, much more reliable, yet limited selection.
Do RV parks or campgrounds have sufficient WiFi speed? Ummm no. None that we have been to..... Most can't even support simple email viewing. Get you own WiFi device. We have a Verizon Jet Pack. It is actually better than our home network. I think it is 4G rated. Do the unlimited data and then you don't have to worry about streaming.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Mo Mike,

When you say "The DIRECTV NOW data is "free" on the ATT cell plan...and we can stream on demand as well as the normal LIVE TV channels". Are you streaming thru a WiFi connection for that or on a data plan?

I have ATT cellular service, internet and DIRECTV at home. I just recently downloaded the app to my computer in the RV's Infotainment center that I set up and I can now stream my Directv from home directly to the outside and inside main room TV's...PROVIDED I get a strong enough WiFi connection (I am running a Wave RV Marine Long Range omni Directional USB WiFI Antenna to help with that). Reading your email to me it appears that I might be missing out on some way to use my smart phone as a hot spot using "free" data thru DirectTV Now on my phone?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable tv, in motion, internet, satellite, tvs