Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
TPMS save gas & lives during these expensive times

A year ago our members here helped me purchase.
Thank God they did. Brother almost had a blowout.

Happy camping

By warning you of a problem before it happens, TPMS can not only save your life, it can save you a considerable amount of money. The NHTSA estimates that TPMS saves 660 lives per year, as well as prevents 33,000 injuries and saves $511 million worth of gas.

https://rvlife.com/rv-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/

Old 10-17-2021, 10:06 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
You betcha it saves a lot of things including not having a flat at the wrong time and place. Gives you the option of choice most times unless you have a blow out.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:24 AM   #3

THOR #20220
Another family member just ordered..it is needed
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #13982
Which system are y'all using, there's so many to choose?
Old 10-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Getting real disappointed in RV Life. Articles siting NHTSA statistics but no citation or footnote identifying the source of the statistics. Numerous Amazon affiliate links which lends this to being a for profit article. One Amazon review being used as a reason for installation and the review cites a cracked valve stem and pressure leak as potential damage causing blowouts. Good argument for the uninformed only. Really, who wrote the Amazon review and how much were they paid.

I use a TPMS and that article doesn’t mention the sensor accuracy range, false warnings, the effects of elevation change, need for a good tire pressure gauge etc…

The author needs to get back to campground reviews and leave the technical stuff to someone that knows what they are talking about.

Actual experience 50 MPH, narrow WVA State Highway, approx 7% descent, cliff on one side and ditch and hill on the other. Drivers side front sensor rapid air loss warning and no place to pull over. The TPMS did not like the elevation change after cresting the hill and sounded a false alarm.

I have had 5 sensors replaced for false warnings. Can no longer trust the system warnings.

BTW, I have listed these issues in threads as early as 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkjr View Post
Which system are y'all using, there's so many to choose?
I had the Tireminder system, but just switched to the TST 507 with the cap sensors.

Had issues with the Tireminder. From day one it gave to many false beeps and then after just over a year old (out of warranty) it started to turn off after 15 minutes for no reason. It also stopped reading two tires on the toad, Just stayed at the initial pressures and never changed. I may have just had a bad product. Many like the tireminder system, but I much prefer the TST.
IMHO that is.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Had the TST507 system on dually truck & 5th wheel for 6+ years fulltiming, as far as I know never had a false reading or alarm.
As for the pressures matching the sensors, I don't think that it's possible for them to ever match a good quality gauge, in my opinion if they're close it was good enough. Don't plan to use the system as an inflation tool, you have a gauge for that, but rather for information.
Also there's not a drop dead temperature to be wary of, but rather the odd excessive high temp. The tires in the sun can be 5-10+ degrees warmer than those on the shady side.
Regardless of the system none of them will inform you of an impending blowout til after the fact. You may be able to notice an increase in temperature & pressure seconds beforehand if you are monitoring very closely, but the odds are you won't.
My preference is a system with it's own monitor not using a phone app. I want to see the temps & pressures instantly/constantly & not having to get the phone out & find the app.
These systems, at least in my opinion, are not for finding the cheapest system but rather a good one that gives pressure & temperatures with good customer service & TST fit the bill for me. I didn't buy it to save fuel or save lives & have no proof or statistics that it does either, I bought it to keep an eye on tire conditions, which is what it did.
Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
No TPMS on my coach and no worries from me driving down the roads.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Enjoying hot dutch oven apple cider by the fire... Holly River state park in West Virginia. I hit a hole in asphalt on the way here, and I thought I blew my right front tire. I kept an eye on the my new TireMinder TPMS, and it never varied. I have 75# in the fronts, and they showed 81# the entire 5 hour drive yesterday.

This place is wired everywhere for FAST WIFI too... in the middle of the forest!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211018_174438977.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	34389   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211018_174451027.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	34390  

Old 10-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #10

THOR #20220
Check this out at Amazon.com
RV Tire Pressure Monitoring... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086V16NHR...p_mob_ap_share
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 10-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Getting real disappointed in RV Life. Articles siting NHTSA statistics but no citation or footnote identifying the source of the statistics. Numerous Amazon affiliate links which lends this to being a for profit article. One Amazon review being used as a reason for installation and the review cites a cracked valve stem and pressure leak as potential damage causing blowouts. Good argument for the uninformed only. Really, who wrote the Amazon review and how much were they paid.

I use a TPMS and that article doesn’t mention the sensor accuracy range, false warnings, the effects of elevation change, need for a good tire pressure gauge etc…

The author needs to get back to campground reviews and leave the technical stuff to someone that knows what they are talking about.

Actual experience 50 MPH, narrow WVA State Highway, approx 7% descent, cliff on one side and ditch and hill on the other. Drivers side front sensor rapid air loss warning and no place to pull over. The TPMS did not like the elevation change after cresting the hill and sounded a false alarm.

I have had 5 sensors replaced for false warnings. Can no longer trust the system warnings.

BTW, I have listed these issues in threads as early as 2 or 3 years ago.
Camped lots of places no issues

RV Tire Pressure Monitoring... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086V16NHR...p_mob_ap_share
Old 10-18-2021, 09:10 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Enjoying hot dutch oven apple cider by the fire... Holly River state park in West Virginia. I hit a hole in asphalt on the way here, and I thought I blew my right front tire. I kept an eye on the my new TireMinder TPMS, and it never varied. I have 75# in the fronts, and they showed 81# the entire 5 hour drive yesterday.

This place is wired everywhere for FAST WIFI too... in the middle of the forest!!
X2 SAME here 12000 miles hit holes and wife and I afraid..looked at tpms all good keep going..I swear I would have pulled over each time

Old 10-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #13

State: Florida
THOR #12281
Tpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post

Happy camping

By warning you of a problem before it happens, TPMS can not only save your life, it can save you a considerable amount of money. The NHTSA estimates that TPMS saves 660 lives per year, as well as prevents 33,000 injuries and saves $511 million worth of gas.

Would not go anywhere without out my TPM system. An RV tire blowout is something you hope you will never have.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Tst tpms

Mine alerted me to a slow leak on an inside dual on our windsport.
Was leaking around the valve stem extender, had to remove it for the trip home.
After we got home, found this on the same inside dual, wasn't leaking around the screw, but replaced the tire and extender.
Thank you tpms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211010_085038.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	34426  
Old 10-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #15

State: Minnesota
THOR #19096
Tpms

Everyone with a Mercedes 3500 Sprinter chassis will have to do without. Their valve stems will not support ANY TPMS that has to be added on to the tire valve stem. They have a very nice internal TPMS for smaller vehicles (temperature and pressure) but they were not required to make it available on the 3500 so safety be damned, they dropped it with no provision for an after market add on. I am very disappointed in my 2019! If anyone has a solution I would be all ears.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:34 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Smile Tire pressure monitoring systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post

Happy camping

You can doubt TPMS if you like but I purchased a set when I bought a new motor home in 2004. These had a good reputation back then in the RV community and used to be sold at all RV rallies and shows. The Brand was Pressure Pro and they are still being sold.

I hate to admit it but twice, once by me and once by the DW we forgot to unlock the steering in our Jeep toad because good friends came by in the middle of hooking up and distracted us. We learned to say give me a minute till I finish this then we can visit.

Both times we ruined both front tires, when one blew we knew instantly and were able to get off the road before the tires started coming apart. The newer sensors tell you about temperatures also so we would seen the rising temps before failure. The tires would have been shot anyway but we might have pulled over in less of a panic mode.

I wouldn't drive an RV without them if I have a choice as I've seen cars being towed into camp ground with front fenders ripped to pieces, we never had any damage except to the tires and it WAS OUR FAULT.

TPMS work and get your ratings from a reputable tire facility instead of Amazon's phony reviews. After full timing 15 years without incident I would buy the Pressure Pros without hesitation but mine are still working.

The tire pressures in your toad will drop with temperature drops if you inflated the tires in hot weather you can can expect to be awakened in the middle of the first cool night. Re inflate when it's cool and you're good to go. I never had a false alarm while driving as the temps went up and stayed there until it cooled at night.

Stay safe and protect your property.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:25 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa0ri View Post
You can doubt TPMS if you like but I purchased a set when I bought a new motor home in 2004. These had a good reputation back then in the RV community and used to be sold at all RV rallies and shows. The Brand was Pressure Pro and they are still being sold.

I hate to admit it but twice, once by me and once by the DW we forgot to unlock the steering in our Jeep toad because good friends came by in the middle of hooking up and distracted us. We learned to say give me a minute till I finish this then we can visit.

Both times we ruined both front tires, when one blew we knew instantly and were able to get off the road before the tires started coming apart. The newer sensors tell you about temperatures also so we would seen the rising temps before failure. The tires would have been shot anyway but we might have pulled over in less of a panic mode.

I wouldn't drive an RV without them if I have a choice as I've seen cars being towed into camp ground with front fenders ripped to pieces, we never had any damage except to the tires and it WAS OUR FAULT.

TPMS work and get your ratings from a reputable tire facility instead of Amazon's phony reviews. After full timing 15 years without incident I would buy the Pressure Pros without hesitation but mine are still working.

The tire pressures in your toad will drop with temperature drops if you inflated the tires in hot weather you can can expect to be awakened in the middle of the first cool night. Re inflate when it's cool and you're good to go. I never had a false alarm while driving as the temps went up and stayed there until it cooled at night.

Stay safe and protect your property.
Good advice regarding outside temp vs pressure. I aired up the Jeep tires to 33psi, and all 6 of the RV tires to 75psi. Considering it was over 80 degrees F when I set the pressures, the pressures dropped about 4# when ambient temps fell into the low to mid 60s. However, during our trip last week, the Jeep tires registered 35#, the rear MH tires 80#, and the front MH tires 76#.

I think had I increased the rear MH pressures to compensate for the lower temperature, the tire pressures would have increased to 85# rolling...

Thing is, I'm trying to wrap my head around where the optimum "rolling tire pressure" should be - regardless of ambient air temperature.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:49 PM   #18

Model: Mercedes Citation
State: Illinois
THOR #10168
Tpms

I have TireMinder never had a problem with unit. Saved me a couple of times. Especially on inner dual wheel. Nice advanced notice. And peace of mind when going on trip and on road
HAPPY CAMPING
Old 10-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #19

THOR #20220
I agree with all you. What a piece of mind and those inner duals need to be checked ..happy camping stay safe
Old 10-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #20

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
I have a set on my motorcycle. It is always off by 5 lbs and never changes. I don't trust it. On my rv, I check the the TP every morning that I drive with my tire guage and adjust TP as needed.