Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Wind sport 29M
State: Florida
THOR #24352
Axxera radio replacement advise

I am looking to replace my Axxera radio.(If that's what you want to call it)

I'm looking at the Pioneer Avic 8201 NEX I would like the rear cam and the 2 side view mirrors. But it does not mention the dual mirror feature. Also looked at the Kenwood. Just want to plug it in and go, Any advice...

Old 10-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post

I'm looking at the Pioneer Avic 8201 NEX I would like the rear cam and the 2 side view mirrors. But it does not mention the dual mirror feature. Also looked at the Kenwood. Just want to plug it in and go, Any advice...
I think the left/right/rear view is supplied by a switcher box separate from the radio. It feeds the signal into a single video cable which plugs into the back of the radio. So any unit which accepts a single RCA type video input should work.

As for the Axxera unit... they are audio torture devices. Ship it to Gitmo where they can put it to good use.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

Model: 2019 Hurricane 29M
State: Ontario
THOR #22903
I replaced my Axxera with a Kenwood DMX1037S. It's a stunning complete package. That being said, I have issues with the contrast on bright objects in the camera views. I think its the external switcher.

Here's my web site for you to view the videos: Kenwood | Jim & Diane

I am hoping to have it fixed shortly.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #4

THOR #16721
The image sensors and build quality of those cameras is INCREDIBLY cheap. For comparison, stand outside with a GoPro or any reputable camera brand. Sony is known for quality image sensors, but you'll pay for that quality.

The reason you see the glare is technical and related to dynamic range of the sensor. It's an "all or nothing" situation... the sensor does so-so when the scene is evenly lit, but throw in a bright spot (glare) and most everything gets "blown out".

Adjusting the video display is probably fruitless... you're just changing the display characteristics of an already poor image.

As suggested, try turning off the infrared, and maybe putting a small piece of flat black (matte) plastic on the side of the MH by the camera to reduce the glare from the MH wall?
Old 10-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #5

THOR #22903
Thank you so much for your reply...some comments and questions:

a) The cameras did not display this situation with the original Axxera....only when I installed the Kenwood

b) could it be the switcher?

3) Cameras and switcher were supplied by: www.rearviewsafety.com

4) What is MH (wall?)

5) How do I turn off infrared?

Once I see my installer, we are going to a) bypass the switcher temporarily and connect a better quality rear camera with/without the switcher to see if this helps?

What I find odd (and this is in the videos that I have)....the whiteout condition that occurs in the bright driveway of my home on passenger side continues when I flip over to the driver side? However, when I then go back to rear camera, the situation goes away?

Kenwood | Jim & Diane

Again, thanks so much.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
4) What is MH (wall?)
MH = Motor Home
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
State: California
THOR #24413
Quote:
I replaced my Axxera with a Kenwood DMX1037S. It's a stunning complete package.
Hi Jim,
was your old Axxera also 10", similar design to Kenwood? I ask because my Vegas came with 10" Axxera and it's nice, but I cannot see the screen when driving in polarized sunglasses at all. I'm curious if Kenwood screen is better in this regard?
Also, were wiring harnesses compatible between Axxera and Kenwood or did you have to rewire all connections? Trying to asses the difficulty of the install.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Kenwood...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #9

THOR #22903
Yes, my old Axxera was 10 inch - double din....fit like a glove with locks. My installer had to match up (McGyver) the wiring to suit the original connection...typically butt connectors with heat shrink protection. The wiring I'm told was pretty simple.

The Kenwood unit is a bit odd but might work great for you....it is an external screen that can be tilted or raised up and down suitable to your needs/size etc. Here are a couple of pics to show you how its mounted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4613.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	34415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4612.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	34416  

Old 10-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #10

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post

You can also mount a 12 volt monitor on the dash such as Eyoyo from Amazon. Mine is mounted so I see it when looking out the windshield. I did not like looking down at the Axxera.

Simple RCA plug from switcher box and tap into 12 volt power. I also put a fuse in the 12 volt line.

My Axxera is now just my radio. Works ok for that.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #11

THOR #22903
Similarly, for various other purposes like a larger Google Map, I use RamMount to mount my 12 inch iPad Pro on the side window behind the visual mirror. 12V is right there for charging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4615.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	34417  
Old 10-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post
You can also mount a 12 volt monitor on the dash such as Eyoyo from Amazon. Mine is mounted so I see it when looking out the windshield. I did not like looking down at the Axxera.

Simple RCA plug from switcher box and tap into 12 volt power. I also put a fuse in the 12 volt line.

I have plans similar to yours. I have a 2020 Axis 25.6. Which Eyoyo did you get and does it show all cameras at once?. Radio is horrible and the video is dangerous.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #13

THOR #19026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post

Do you have photos of your monitor install and other info?
Old 10-23-2021, 01:50 AM   #14

THOR #16721
I also didn't like the idea of looking down at the dash to see behind me, so I mounted a monitor on the (useless) rearview mirror in our class C. It plugged into the RCA camera output on the back of the Axxera. It's always on while driving - and in the position that makes sense to me... the rearview mirror. I don't have side cameras... I'm good with just the big outside truck-style mirrors.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #15

THOR #19026
Axxera radio swap

Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply...some comments and questions:

a) The cameras did not display this situation with the original Axxera....only when I installed the Kenwood

b) could it be the switcher?

3) Cameras and switcher were supplied by: www.rearviewsafety.com

4) What is MH (wall?)

5) How do I turn off infrared?

Once I see my installer, we are going to a) bypass the switcher temporarily and connect a better quality rear camera with/without the switcher to see if this helps?

What I find odd (and this is in the videos that I have)....the whiteout condition that occurs in the bright driveway of my home on passenger side continues when I flip over to the driver side? However, when I then go back to rear camera, the situation goes away?

Kenwood | Jim & Diane

Again, thanks so much.
Did you have to change the Switcher? I was planning on putting one of their
Multiple display monitors in but they said I had to use their Switcher. I really doubt that. Please let me know if the connections are the same as the Axxera.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #16

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edki45 View Post
I have plans similar to yours. I have a 2020 Axis 25.6. Which Eyoyo did you get and does it show all cameras at once?. Radio is horrible and the video is dangerous.
I used Eyoyo 10 inch IPS LCD Monitor 12 volt from Amazon. Mine shows rear cam image all the time then switches to left or right with turn signal. It returns to rear cam after turn signals off.

I used the mount that came with Eyoyo unit and screwed into the dash. I put small piece of plywood under dash to screw into. Also drilled hole in dash to run RCA cable and 12 volt wire.

Sorry I cannot post picture.