Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Rox

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #9492
U-Haul mods

Hi everyone, I just bought a Thor 22fe 2017. I have not driven many like it, but I have driven many U-Haul trucks about the same size and they seem more stable. I Googled what they did and couldn't find anything. Anyone know?

Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
What kind of problem are you having?
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Same chassis, but huge difference between an empty box truck... Or one properly loaded, and one of our houses on wheels...
As asked already, more details on what you are experiencing might get some suggestions.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
Rox

THOR #9492
Similar type chassis and profile and have driven both loaded and unloaded and both conditions are more stabille while driving down the road. Less play in the wheel and less movement across road. Just seems like U-Haul must modify and does anyone know what they do.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
First I would get an alignment, see how it handles then. You can get a safety plus installed if you still have problems with steering. Start simple
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #6

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
First I would get an alignment, see how it handles then. You can get a safety plus installed if you still have problems with steering. Start simple

That is normal. To improve it get a good steering stabilizer to replace Ford cheap one. I also installed SumoSprings. Handling much better now.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep in mind that your house built on the chassis pushes the weight very close to GVWR. A U-Haul is designed to haul a lot so that box on the back weighs next to nothing in comparison. Thus the U-Haul is going to be very very stiff and feel much different (unless you really load it up comparable to what your house weighs).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Aerodynamics are much different which affects the way it drives, not bad, just different.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Rox

THOR #9492
Again, the U-Haul I am talking about is aerodynamically very similar to mine and I have driven one loaded up and it appears to have better control, so the question is, does anyone know if U-Haul does something to their trucks for ease of public use?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
Again, the U-Haul I am talking about is aerodynamically very similar to mine and I have driven one loaded up and it appears to have better control, so the question is, does anyone know if U-Haul does something to their trucks for ease of public use?
I honestly doubt it. Like any company they are trying to maximize profit and thus most likely order the cheapest chassis/truck before putting their box on it and will do as little as possible to save the cost.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #11

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
Hi everyone, I just bought a Thor 22fe 2017. I have not driven many like it, but I have driven many U-Haul trucks about the same size and they seem more stable. I Googled what they did and couldn't find anything. Anyone know?
I have same rig as you, same issues. Installed safe t plus and made hardly any difference. I have only 2k on the odometer. I have noticed front tires wearing unevenly and next, plan on an front end alignment. Front drivers side tire looks tow out wear, passenger side looks tow in wear. I no expert, but this is what appears to me.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:58 PM   #12

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
I have 22fe, almost returned it last year after first trip. Husband added steering stabilizer and new larger sway bars. Now my husband loves to drive it.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #13

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
uhaul orders a very special truck to be very heavy duty and reliable, ever ender why 30 year old u haul are still running?? they are also lower to the ground the a motor home.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #14
Rox

THOR #9492
My first run was in a rain/wind storm on narrow roads, so my view of the handling was skewed. Loaded up for our first trip, this thing handles great, love it. Also we have had a blast this weekend. Did apparently blow up my radio /back up camera.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:50 AM   #15

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaMyers.com View Post
I have 22fe, almost returned it last year after first trip. Husband added steering stabilizer and new larger sway bars. Now my husband loves to drive it.
You should get SumoSprings. They make a big difference. You can get front or back or both (me). Fairly easy to install, you remove factory bump stops and just screw them in. No drilling. really stop the leaning on turns. Fairly inexpensive.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #16

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
You should get SumoSprings. They make a big difference. You can get front or back or both (me). Fairly easy to install, you remove factory bump stops and just screw them in. No drilling. really stop the leaning on turns. Fairly inexpensive.
Question on Sumo Spring installation: Do you have to jack up your rig in order to install these or just crawl under and do the removing of bump stops and install Sumo's?
Old 10-29-2017, 03:54 AM   #17

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Question on Sumo Spring installation: Do you have to jack up your rig in order to install these or just crawl under and do the removing of bump stops and install Sumo's?

Yes but not very much maybe 3-4 inches.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
It depends on how big a beer gut you have.