Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #13721
Updates to 2015 Freedom Elite 22e

Recently bought this RV. Want to install a Power Inverter and Solar panel charging system.

? Where is the factory installed Power Inverter located? (want to duplicate that installation point)

? Does the RV have pre-installed wiring for a Roof mount solar panel? If not, where is the best location to run wires from roof to the rv battery area?

Thx........

Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome to the forum. Looks like your first post.

Im pretty sure an inverter was not a "Factory option" on your model. And Factory solar wiring was in 2018 on some Thor models so I im sure its not on your year model. If it is prewired you should find some 10 gauge wires in your electal panel that is not connected to anything.

I installed my inverter next to the fuse box under my bed. This is the best location to make it operate like factory since you can tap into the factory 12 v battery supply and add a small inverter to run a few outlets.

Do a search on inverters on this site. Lots of info.

I posted a few about my Aims 1200 watt inverter. Best bang for the buck IMO. It has an auto transfer which built in so it can switch from the shore power (AC) to inverter power (DC).

Also you might need to upgrade your batteries to get the full use of your solar and inverter.

Do your research here and on the interweb - tons of info availalbe on this subject(S).

And post any question you have here and some of us will try and help you the best we can.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Oh, sorry I didnt address the wires.

Most folks will run the solar wires from the roof down the Frig Vent that is on the roof and then into a cabinet inside the RV. Others will drill a hole into the cabinet they want for the controller and seal it up.

Look on Amazon for solar product as well as panels and controllers. Tons of info.

This is a subject I have research on for a year but I have not pull the trigger yet. I had to many other upgrades that I thought was more important.

Tons of info on this site and others. Take your time and figure out what works best for you.

You need to know how long you want (or expect) to run on solar. Then how many batteries you need (or want) etc.

How much to you want to spend on the system? $300 - $10,000?

See how others have installed thier system and see if that will work for you.

Take your time on this.... so much info to absorb.

Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #13721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Oh, sorry I didnt address the wires.

Most folks will run the solar wires from the roof down the Frig Vent that is on the roof and then into a cabinet inside the RV. Others will drill a hole into the cabinet they want for the controller and seal it up.

Look on Amazon for solar product as well as panels and controllers. Tons of info.

This is a subject I have research on for a year but I have not pull the trigger yet. I had to many other upgrades that I thought was more important.

Tons of info on this site and others. Take your time and figure out what works best for you.

You need to know how long you want (or expect) to run on solar. Then how many batteries you need (or want) etc.

How much to you want to spend on the system? $300 - $10,000?

See how others have installed thier system and see if that will work for you.

Take your time on this.... so much info to absorb.

Good luck.
Thank you for the info, very helpful. BTW, a factory installed inverter is a option.
I have a AIMS 1500W inverter and a 170W solar panel. If you are interested in a solar panel, RICH SOLAR(on amazon) sells this panel for $186. Best buy for the $. The electrical system is not a problem, am a Electrical Engineer....
Thx......
Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz70 View Post
Thank you for the info, very helpful. BTW, a factory installed inverter is a option.
I have a AIMS 1500W inverter and a 170W solar panel. If you are interested in a solar panel, RICH SOLAR(on amazon) sells this panel for $186. Best buy for the $. The electrical system is not a problem, am a Electrical Engineer....
Thx......

Good to know. I thought it was a "Dealer install only" on these smaller entry level coaches.