Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: California
THOR #26100
Upgrade from 2 Lead acid batteries to lithium

Is there anyone in Southern California (Riverside/Orange County) area that would be able to help me do a lithium conversion.

Basically my RV is parked in a location where I have access to it regularly when doing upgrades, or maintenance and it's not near enough to any power to be able to keep the batteries charged.

I have 3 lead acid batteries and just want to be able to have more longevity to run the lights, roof fans, radio, TV, water pump, etc. Whenever the lead acid batteries are charged and I'm in the RV doing stuff (sometimes working if it's cool enough outside, or taking a nap lol) and if I happen to leave the vent fan on overnight and come back the next day the batteries aren't dead but in the 11.8v range if I flip on the inverter and see what the display says.

I'm guessing if I had lithium it could go for weeks with the fan left on and still be fine.

I am not trying to make a system so I can boondocking however if I'm every traveling across the country and want to boondock at a parking lot I feel if it was cold out my furnace would not even last all night on the batteries (or refrigerator).

I know that the alternator might be an issue with charging while on the road, also I'm not even sure if the charger in the coach can handle lithium. I have a 2018 Thor Hurricane 34J.

And maybe because I'm in SoCal and it's sunny most of the year I should do solar instead. I know on the roof there are solar plugs up there ready to go. I just have no idea how to even hook that up and I'm a DIY'er and am very handy and can do as long as I have direction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:41 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
On a scale of difficulty in doing it right from 1 to 10, 1 being easy, solar is a 3 and lithium is an 8. So first install a solar panel, particularly since you have the wiring and roof port in place. Google RV solar or go to Youtube and search and there are lots of videos on the subject.

David
Old 04-12-2022, 11:22 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: California
THOR #26100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
On a scale of difficulty in doing it right from 1 to 10, 1 being easy, solar is a 3 and lithium is an 8. So first install a solar panel, particularly since you have the wiring and roof port in place. Google RV solar or go to Youtube and search and there are lots of videos on the subject.

David
Only issue with solar is at night if I am in a parking lot or some type of BLM land it won’t keep the batteries charged.

Tags
hurricane 34j, lithium, solar