Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 4 Winds 31Y
State: Texas
THOR #20784
Thanks jimbo12 for your support.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:27 AM   #62

THOR #20784
I started testing today after completing the upgrade. The DC and 15/20A AC, as well as the 30 amp checked out ok. No blown fuses, fires or explosions or other bad stuff. I can’t test the 50A yet since Amazon is late in delivering my 50A extension cord. I need about 50 feet to plug into my garage 50A service. Maybe tomorrow.

I did try an experiment. I hooked up to 30A and my solar was downloading 84volts. I ran the Two AC units, the microwave, and my Keurig. No breakers popped. Wow..
Old 04-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #63

THOR #20784
I brought my MH back to my home where I have 50A service. I plugged in and continued my 50A testing, 2 legs 240V, etc. All worked well with no errors. I had forgotten to run the generator with prior test, so I fired it up. This became my monthly run as well as testing the wiring and in particular the ATS. All worked well.

I am not a electrician nor an engineer but have been doing electrical and electronic work for about 55 years. This was one of my biggest challenges and with the help of everyone on this thread, was successful beyond my expectations.

Earlier I said that I would keep everyone posted on my endeavor and at conclusion I would give everyone a list of parts purchased and labor involved.

The labor was all mine so was free and took 9-10 hours, including testing. I purchased all parts from Amazon except for a few miscellaneous items at Lowes locally. This is what I purchased:
30' main power cord 6/4 gauge $127
6/4 wire to used the unit internally 30' $87
50 Amp locking power inlet $70
50 Amp ATS $152
AC/DC power distribution panel without converter $90
Dual 50 Amp breaker $12
Taxes $43
TOTAL material cost $614.

Came in within budget of $600-650.

This concludes my updates but will answer any questions.