Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2023, 01:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #30039
Upgrade to smart TV

2023 Thor Tiburon FB MB Sprinter 3500 chassis

My unit was delivered with and Insignia 40” LED Tv NS-40D510NA21. This is a very inexpensive TV that is not a smart TV. I would like to use my WiFi hot spot for NetFlex and Amazon Prime etc.

I would like to know if anyone has upgraded the TV or suggestions on how to use those apps with what I have.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xred View Post

My unit was delivered with and Insignia 40” LED Tv NS-40D510NA21. This is a very inexpensive TV that is not a smart TV. I would like to use my WiFi hot spot for NetFlex and Amazon Prime etc.

I would like to know if anyone has upgraded the TV or suggestions on how to use those apps with what I have.
Buy an inexpensive smart DVD player or if you have an AV switch connect a streaming stick in one of the hdmi ports. If you have an open hdmi port on the tv just install a streaming stick like Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. There are numerous ways to connect without breaking the bank on a smart tv.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:45 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Buy an inexpensive smart DVD player or if you have an AV switch connect a streaming stick in one of the hdmi ports. If you have an open hdmi port on the tv just install a streaming stick like Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. There are numerous ways to connect without breaking the bank on a smart tv.
Very correct! You can make a dumb TV into a smart one with a $25 Roku stick that plugs into an open HDMI port.

David
Old 11-26-2023, 02:06 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:

I upgraded the OE 40" and two 32" AxxERA 720p dumb TVs in my 2018 ACE with Vizio smart TVs. My first choice would have been Samsung but I could not find a Samsung 40" model and I wanted to have similar TVs for all the TVs in the RV. That way the remotes will work on any TV.

The models I got are all 1080p and have Netflix, Amazon Prime and many other apps already preloaded.

I got the 40" TV from my local Sam's Club but this is the Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092Q1TRJC...t_details&th=1

I ordered the 32" TVs from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092Q1W365...roduct_details

One additional note the Specifications I found online tell me that the Tiburon FB model only has a 32" TV not a 40" TV. Make sure you measure the OE TV before you order a new TV.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:34 PM   #5

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
We added a Roku streambar, since we had a 20" TV with cheesy speakers- also had a DVD playing TV from our last RV that we transferred in- now it's nice.
Now changing the mount to get it level- the Tellaro 20L TV is on the side wall by the slider, and no attempt to shim to level.Bracket with 5į adjustment, and shims next.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Bingo! Simple as plugging a Roku or Fire Stick into an open HDMI port on the TV itself... DONE. Instant "smart TV".
Old 11-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
My '18 'new to me' Axis came with just 2 TVs; the outside one was missing.
I bought a 32" Insignia Fire TV from Best Buy ($10 cheaper than Amazon) for $79.99.
Took the Axxera TV from inside, over the door, and put it in the outside location.
The new Insignia went in it's place and couldn't be happier!
The new one is 'smart' and clear as can be even though 720.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:17 PM   #8

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post
My '18 'new to me' Axis came with just 2 TVs; the outside one was missing.
I bought a 32" Insignia Fire TV from Best Buy ($10 cheaper than Amazon) for $79.99.
Took the Axxera TV from inside, over the door, and put it in the outside location.
The new Insignia went in it's place and couldn't be happier!
The new one is 'smart' and clear as can be even though 720.
I bought the EXACT TV at Best Buy last spring and installed it in the motorhome bedroom... along with a cheap DVD player. The TV was cheaper than the other basic TVs, so a no brainer.

We already had a Fire Stick setup the way we wanted... apps etc. so the "smart" features of the TV were irrelevant.

I just had cataract surgery, so I can see better than I did in my 20s... and the detail on this 720p display are more than adequate. 4k would be a waste of money when piping at most HD video to it.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:26 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I bought the EXACT TV at Best Buy last spring and installed it in the motorhome bedroom... along with a cheap DVD player. The TV was cheaper than the other basic TVs, so a no brainer.

We already had a Fire Stick setup the way we wanted... apps etc. so the "smart" features of the TV were irrelevant.

I just had cataract surgery, so I can see better than I did in my 20s... and the detail on this 720p display are more than adequate. 4k would be a waste of money when piping at most HD video to it.
Ha! You & me! Cataract surgery also. I also bought an el-cheapo DVD player from Amazon--around the low $20s if I remember right. All works very well!!

If, and/or when they die, they won't owe me anything! I'll just replace.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:48 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Best Amazon fire stick on sale.
We tested 2 of them.
Our Motorhome and home smart TV have an more amazing picture.
Whenever smart tv buffers or picture fades a drop, she asks "are we using the firestick"

You want this.

Limited-time deal: All-new Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device, includes support for Wi-Fi 6, Dolby Vision/Atmos, free & live TV https://a.co/d/fPDkrOq

The WIFI 6 is very fast.
Sound amazing!

I will replace the other older firesticks after my deep dive.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231126_124608_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	44347  
Old 11-26-2023, 07:52 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I upgraded the OE 40" and two 32" AxxERA 720p dumb TVs in my 2018 ACE with Vizio smart TVs. My first choice would have been Samsung but I could not find a Samsung 40" model and I wanted to have similar TVs for all the TVs in the RV. That way the remotes will work on any TV.

The models I got are all 1080p and have Netflix, Amazon Prime and many other apps already preloaded.

I got the 40" TV from my local Sam's Club but this is the Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092Q1TRJC...t_details&th=1

I ordered the 32" TVs from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092Q1W365...roduct_details

One additional note the Specifications I found online tell me that the Tiburon FB model only has a 32" TV not a 40" TV. Make sure you measure the OE TV before you order a new TV.
Based on my firestick testing, any TV smart non smart on sale with 120 hz refresh high pixels with FIRESTICK may do..

My 75 inch samsung smart TV has a better picture with the firestick.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:59 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Our rig came with one 32" Roku TV from Wally World and aside from terrible speakers it does really good job of providing high quality TV. I bought a second one for the bedroom and sound has improved a bit. We use Roku sticks in our new AZ home and they are better than good. Inexpensive and lots of free entertainment and no stinkin' cables to run.

Like Chateau Nomad I'm considering the cataract surgery for one my good eye and sounds like a winning procedure.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:59 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

My unit was delivered with and Insignia 40Ē LED Tv NS-40D510NA21. This is a very inexpensive TV that is not a smart TV. I would like to use my WiFi hot spot for NetFlex and Amazon Prime etc.

My coach came with 3 Insignia TVs. All 3 worked fine, but none were smart TVs.

What I did....

I put a Roku Ultra in the entertainment cabinet with the HDMI Switcher. I connected the HDM1 One port on all 3 TVs to the Switcher; so if I am streaming a football game from YouTube TV, or watching Netflix it can be seen and heard on all 3 TVs at the same time.

The Roku Ultra runs about $90, but they just had them on sale for $34 at Wal Mart. I bought two extras.

With that done, and when my coach was still under warranty, I broke the screen on my 40" inside the main living area. I was just dying to know how that TV came off the wall. I figured it out, but when I put it back up the liquid crystals were splattered WBGO offered to replace the TV, but it had to be another Insignia. I declined and bought my own Samsung 40" Smart TV.

This was several years back 2020, but I bought the Samsung UN40N5200. It was a perfect fit and it was without question better than the Insignia 40". I had a little hell to cut the OEM mounting plate so I could access all of my ports on the rear. The DW thought I had snapped when she saw me cutting that steel plate from RV with sparks flying everywhere

Technically I don't need the Roku box and Smart TV, but I use them both all the time. So much so that I have a Roku Ultra on HDMI TWO for Outside TV. What is really great about the Samsung Smart TV that may be hidden are things like Samsung TV which is free, sure Roku has a lot of free stuff too but we have no less than 8 or 9 Samsung TVs in the house. So to us a Roku Box & Samsung Smart TV is the Norm. With the Wifi, Samsung Support can access the TV to fix issues. Ironically they spent a good hour doing something to ensure I got all of the Samsung provided Apps as some were missing even after all of the updates were performed. Because we have all Android phones, it is nice that we can cast direct to the Samsung TV without any other special software or device. It is just simple.

With that said, I have been waiting for the Insignia Outdoor TV to crap out, but it hasn't. So the Roku Ultra is all I have on it. As much as I like Samsung TVs, I will not buy one to replace a perfectly good TV when a Roku box will do.

Roku Sticks are fine too, as we have one in the Navigator to work with Lincoln Play, but for my money, I like the best box Roku makes for a Main TV. They come with ear phone, voice controls, remote finder etc. etc.

Update:
For sound we bought the Visio M21D-H8R. It has built in Subwoofer and watching Movies at night is just awesome. IMO the Visio speakers / soundbars for TVs are better than what Samsung makes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230515_171207.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	44350  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:15 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
MY Best part of swapping out the 3 AxxERA TVs with LG QI TVs was putting the old ones in the new boxes and putting out in front of RV in camp ground and watching how fast they were picked up! Even was thanked by one couple who said their TV had died.

AxxERA are really crap tvs! Glad to replace!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20231012_123819.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	44349  
Old 11-27-2023, 11:16 AM   #15

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:

Add a Roku and it will stream like a dream. We first added a FireStick but it was awful because the buffering was terrible. Tried the Roku and put the FireStick in the trash. Love the Roku and also replaced the FireStick in my office TV at home and trashed that FireStick. I am now a flag waving Roku man!
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Add a Roku and it will stream like a dream. We first added a FireStick but it was awful because the buffering was terrible. Tried the Roku and put the FireStick in the trash. Love the Roku and also replaced the FireStick in my office TV at home and trashed that FireStick. I am now a flag waving Roku man!

You make wish to clarify something. I have never used a Firestick in my life. When I said Firestick earlier, that is incorrect because my Navigator came with a Roku Streaming Stick. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Stre...xoCqGcQAvD_BwE

Because it has go behind a rear TV without much room it makes sense. I have moved it from the SUV to use on our portable LED Projector and it I noticed that it really gets hot. In the middle of streaming you would get temperature errors, so it needs to be run in a very cool air conditioned space. I think we have 7 Roku Ultras, 2 Roku 3's and the one Roku Streaming Stick. They go on every TV except RV MBR which we rarely use. If we do, it is showing what is on the Main RV TV.

I think Apple TV is good comparison to Roku, but I am not a Apple guy, although I know they make good products. But if OP has everything else all Apple, he may look at Apple TV.

With that said, I would get to a Samsung Smart TV as soon as it made sense, but not specifically to only stream Netflix.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-27-2023, 05:33 PM   #17

THOR #16721
I'm no fanboy of either Amazon's Fire platform or Roku. We just happened to have acquired several of each over the years. Both have their quirks. That said, if I had to pick one over the other, Roku would win out.

Why?

What drives me nuts is the way Amazon Fire devices are geared toward constantly shoving Amazon content in your face - which is expected, being an Amazon content platform. If you primarily stream Prime content - no big deal. But you're forced to wade through Amazon exclusive content to get to anything else.

Roku menus can be arranged however you like. If you're not heavily vested in Amazon content, Roku fits better and is less cumbersome.

As for performance, both devices use pretty much the same hardware - WiFi and HDMI interface. So all things being equal, streaming speed should be equal. The underlying software is different - Roku is C based, where Fire is Android. But most users won't notice any difference between the OS, other than the GUI. And that's where Roku shines.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:41 AM   #18

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I'm no fanboy of either Amazon's Fire platform or Roku. We just happened to have acquired several of each over the years. Both have their quirks. That said, if I had to pick one over the other, Roku would win out.

Why?

What drives me nuts is the way Amazon Fire devices are geared toward constantly shoving Amazon content in your face - which is expected, being an Amazon content platform. If you primarily stream Prime content - no big deal. But you're forced to wade through Amazon exclusive content to get to anything else.

Roku menus can be arranged however you like. If you're not heavily vested in Amazon content, Roku fits better and is less cumbersome.

As for performance, both devices use pretty much the same hardware - WiFi and HDMI interface. So all things being equal, streaming speed should be equal. The underlying software is different - Roku is C based, where Fire is Android. But most users won't notice any difference between the OS, other than the GUI. And that's where Roku shines.
The menu is one of the things I like most about the Roku. We have a new large screen smart tv in our sticks and bricks and it drives me crazy with all the crap you have to wade through just to get to the app you want to run. I have looked to see if I could set up a favorites but have not discovered how. Maybe they like pushing all the crap at you.

By the way, I can tell you without a doubt that the Roku streams better than the FireStick. With all other conditions fixed the FireStick would often pause many times during a streaming session presenting you with a circle. Leaving everything the same and switching to the Roku it would take longer to start but would buffer up enough content to stay ahead of what ever the connection speed was for the streaming program.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:49 AM   #19

Model: Tiburon 24FB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #30039
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You make wish to clarify something. I have never used a Firestick in my life. When I said Firestick earlier, that is incorrect because my Navigator came with a Roku Streaming Stick. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Stre...xoCqGcQAvD_BwE

Because it has go behind a rear TV without much room it makes sense. I have moved it from the SUV to use on our portable LED Projector and it I noticed that it really gets hot. In the middle of streaming you would get temperature errors, so it needs to be run in a very cool air conditioned space. I think we have 7 Roku Ultras, 2 Roku 3's and the one Roku Streaming Stick. They go on every TV except RV MBR which we rarely use. If we do, it is showing what is on the Main RV TV.

I think Apple TV is good comparison to Roku, but I am not a Apple guy, although I know they make good products. But if OP has everything else all Apple, he may look at Apple TV.

With that said, I would get to a Samsung Smart TV as soon as it made sense, but not specifically to only stream Netflix.
I donít understand your last comment what is the advantage of upgrading the TV in addition to the Roku?
Old 11-28-2023, 01:17 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
I donít understand your last comment what is the advantage of upgrading the TV in addition to the Roku?
I did not say advantage specifically for "upgrading the TV in addition to the Roku?"

I said to do so as soon as it made sense.

Let me simplify. I have a Roku box on every TV PERIOD. I love things that work great.

With that given; you must have a TV. In my example of above I had a Non Smart Insignia that was under warranty to replace. So a new TV was coming. I don't want a war with a non Samsung person, but I only buy Samsung TVs. I didn't want the replacement Insignia and I don't want a Roku TV.

So your question may really be why do I like Samsung TVs?

1. Support - One number for all my devices and they always take of the issue. I have had them come out and to my home to a repair for no charge because I did not want to drive 20 min to their repair center

2. All remotes are simplified, really easy to use and we only have 2 kinds

3. Samsung TV - if you have WifI you can get every thing including local

4. Casting direct from our phones

5. Picture quality

6. etc. etc.

FWIW, I still have a 40" Insignia on outside of RV and it is Non Smart. It works like it is suppose to and it has been 4 years. I want it to fail but it hasn't It has a Roku Ultra and it is just fine for how we use.

FWIW #2 With the Roku, I can't tell you how many times I have brought one of my Ultra inside to some place we are visiting just to watch our TV, our way.

Yes for some, it may seem as overkill to have most of the same Apps in two places ( TV & Roku), but it is akin to why some may have multiple hammers, multiple flashlights etc.