Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2017, 12:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
Used tpms

My dad gave me a used Pressure Pro primary & tow 16 wheel tpms a couple of years ago. He had it on his 42' Tiffin plus toad. I don't know if he changed units, upgraded or what? Dad is not able to remember ( Alzheimer's)
I never used it on my previous MH and just put it in a cupboard in my garage. Now that I have purchased my new ACE 30.3, I'm thinking about getting a tpms for it. With a lot of the members on this forum discussing the safety benefits of having one, my question is this. Would the used Pressure Pro work ok for me or is it an outdated or inferior product? I'm going to guess that it is at least 8-10 years old ( model APM1). All of the parts look to be in good shape, however the manual says that the battery life is about three years and that they have to be sent back to the factory for replacement at battery cost only. I would only need 6 of the sensors replaced, don't plan on a toad at this point.
I'm wondering if I should use or trust this unit or just pitch it and go with a new system? Any thoughts......

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida

Old 01-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Without knowing the cost of battery replacement and whatever else may be needed, it is hard to compare. If the update is too costly you may be better to just get a new system. Also consider future costs as your warranty is expired vs. warranty service for free on new system. I'd compare specs also as newer systems may provide more and better features.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #3

THOR #6059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Without knowing the cost of battery replacement and whatever else may be needed, it is hard to compare. If the update is too costly you may be better to just get a new system. Also consider future costs as your warranty is expired vs. warranty service for free on new system. I'd compare specs also as newer systems may provide more and better features.

Good points, I am going to contact the company this week to see what the cost would be to have the sensors replaced and if they think the unit will still function well. They'll probably tell me that I need to buy a new unit If it's not a big cost I may go ahead and replace the sensors and try the unit and see how well it works??
Old 01-16-2017, 04:30 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Only sure way to know is put in new batteries and try it!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

THOR #6059
Answers

Ok, so I talked to the folks at Pressure Pro and I have some answers to my questions. First of all, yes, there have obviously been some technology updates to the units since my unit was made. However, the guy I spoke with said that my unit should function just fine and that it is still compatible and would work with new sensors. But, instead of just replacing the batteries on my existing sensors I would have to replace the sensors at a cost of 35.00 each X 6 which would be 210.00 for a 8-10 year old unit with probably 3 years of use on my Dad's coach.
At that cost, I'm half way to buying a new unit such as an EEZ, TireMinder or similar units.
I hate to just discard the Pressure Pro unit, it looks to be in great shape. Not sure which way I'm going to go on this??
Decisions decisions......

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
Old 01-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Steven, if it was me I wouldn't send that unit in for battery replacements. Sitting in your garage in Florida may have already damaged the unit. We recently pulled out a small electronic device that had only been in our shed for a year and due to SW Florida weather it was already ruined. You may be able to put that old unit on Craig's List and someone with an older unit will buy it for spare parts of additional sensors.

If you shop around I am betting you can get a TPMS with 6 flow through sensors for under $300.00. I have had mine for a few years and they are the type that I can replace the batteries.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote