Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If your batteries are connected and your use/store switch is in "Use" and you are plugged in to shore power, then you have a charging problem if your voltage is not over 13 volts.

Do your inside lights still work if you lift the positive lead from your batteries?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Correct. Your converter/charger is not charging your batteries. Try pulling the plug on shore power and starting up your generator and see if that charges the batteries. I assume that all your 12v systems are working in the coach after you installed the new batteries. If they are, that eliminates the 100 amp breaker in your battery box. If the generator does not charge the house batteries, turn it off and turn on your engine and see if that charges the house batteries. It should if the charging system is working from the chassis end.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #23

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
With shore power connected, all house DC circuits work. With shore power disconnected, I lose power to the DC circuits in the house ( even though the new house batteries are connected). With generator on, DC circuits come back on in the house, but I still have no charging current to the batteries. Turn off generator then start engine: house circuits are dead, but I have 13.2 volts at the house batteries.

So it sounds like charging current is getting to the house batteries from the alternator but the house batteries aren't actually powering any of the house circuits.

Part of the converter must still be working though, because with shore power connected my DC circuits are working.

By the way, I by-passed the big breaker in the battery compartment by connecting the house batteries AFTER the breaker, to rule out the breaker and the use/store switch. Still no DC circuits in the house working, with good house batteries connected.

I'm suspecting that I need a new converter... (?)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:10 AM   #24

THOR #8026
SOLVED!

While researching the converter and electrical system I ran across an old post that mentioned a 50 Amp manual reset switch up in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Sure enough, it was tripped. I pushed the reset button and all is well.

Thank you all for input. It was the act of spelling all of this out and thoughtful discussion with you that lead me in the right direction.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #25

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Glad you found the problem and thanks for the update. Now to remember this information for possible future use.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #26

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
SOLVED!

While researching the converter and electrical system I ran across an old post that mentioned a 50 Amp manual reset switch up in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Sure enough, it was tripped. I pushed the reset button and all is well.

Thank you all for input. It was the act of spelling all of this out and thoughtful discussion with you that lead me in the right direction.
Right. That was the (now) 100 amp breaker that I mentioned in the previous post. That is why I asked if you still had 12v power when you pulled shore power. If you have 12v power on shore power but not when you pull it, it is that breaker. There is another one in the engine compartment for the chassis battery.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #27

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Right. That was the (now) 100 amp breaker that I mentioned in the previous post. That is why I asked if you still had 12v power when you pulled shore power. If you have 12v power on shore power but not when you pull it, it is that breaker. There is another one in the engine compartment for the chassis battery.
Why do you suppose the 100 Amp breaker tripped? That is a lot of current. Could there be something wrong with a device in the RV?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #28

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Why do you suppose the 100 Amp breaker tripped? That is a lot of current. Could there be something wrong with a device in the RV?
That's possible. However, he was changing out the batteries and if the positive lead hit the negative post, that could trip the breaker. If it happens again, I would worry about some other short in the system.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #29

THOR #8026
We had a series of power outages, brown-outs, surges and all kinds of terrible stuff happen last February. The rig was connected to shore power at the time. I have the feeling it tripped then. Since the only symptom was that the house batteries stopped charging, it went unnoticed until now. (My next purchase will be a robust power protection system.)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #30

THOR #2817
Quote:
We had a series of power outages, brown-outs, surges and all kinds of terrible stuff happen last February. The rig was connected to shore power at the time. I have the feeling it tripped then. Since the only symptom was that the house batteries stopped charging, it went unnoticed until now. (My next purchase will be a robust power protection system.)
Because I am concerned about the possibility of over charging the chassis battery and because I have two AGM batteries for the coach, I use separate battery maintainers for the chassis and coach batteries, as well as a disconnect for the coach batteries. Power surges would only affect my maintainers. I suspect that our 2015 Windsport K27 has a low quality charger/converter because it boiled the batteries so I had to add fluid quite often. Now I will only use maintenance free batteries.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #31

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Because I am concerned about the possibility of over charging the chassis battery and because I have two AGM batteries for the coach, I use separate battery maintainers for the chassis and coach batteries, as well as a disconnect for the coach batteries. Power surges would only affect my maintainers. I suspect that our 2015 Windsport K27 has a low quality charger/converter because it boiled the batteries so I had to add fluid quite often. Now I will only use maintenance free batteries.
The charger/converter is one place that Thor does not spend money. Both I have had in my Vegas and Axis did not work correctly. I replaced the one in my Axis with a Progressive Dynamics unit and it works as it should. Most power surges occur when you are at an RV park where the system is overloaded. A good surge protector is an absolute must to protect your coach and electrical systems. From one who had to learn the hard way. It's way cheaper and easier to spend a few hundred dollars now rather than later.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #32

THOR #8026
While we are on the subject...

Dies upgrading the charger/converter require replacing the entire power distribution box inside the rig, or are we talking about onyl the outboard box mounted under the frame?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #33

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The charger/converter is one place that Thor does not spend money. Both I have had in my Vegas and Axis did not work correctly. I replaced the one in my Axis with a Progressive Dynamics unit and it works as it should. Most power surges occur when you are at an RV park where the system is overloaded. A good surge protector is an absolute must to protect your coach and electrical systems. From one who had to learn the hard way. It's way cheaper and easier to spend a few hundred dollars now rather than later.
We don't stay at campgrounds very often (Walmart, truck stops, rest areas). But I will take your advice and buy a surge protector for those occasional campground visits.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #34

THOR #1765
Quote:
While we are on the subject...

Dies upgrading the charger/converter require replacing the entire power distribution box inside the rig, or are we talking about onyl the outboard box mounted under the frame?
I don't know what kind of coach you have, but in my Axis the charger/converter is located next to the refrigerator under the 110v breaker panel. Progressive Dynamics makes a replacement for mine (PD4655) that fits in the same place and is relatively easy to install. It works as it should, unlike two original converter/chargers in my Vegas and Axis.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 AM   #35

Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
THOR #5696
Yes But the "store/use" switch must be in "use"
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote