Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #12738
Generator issues

I have a 2014 Ace Thor 30.1. The generator overheats every time I use it. I took it in while under warranty and was told the oil I used was wrong. It’s only got 70 hrs. Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent the overheating

Old 08-16-2018, 03:00 AM   #2

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
what gen do you have 4000 or 5500wats
Old 08-16-2018, 03:40 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe49 View Post
I have a 2014 Ace Thor 30.1. The generator overheats every time I use it. I took it in while under warranty and was told the oil I used was wrong. It’s only got 70 hrs. Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent the overheating
What was wrong about your oil?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
I doubt the oil will cause it to overheat every time you use it. You said its still under warranty, Take it back and have them fix it! Have not looked into rv generators yet so I cannot give you any educated ideas yet good luck
Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Does it overheat going down the road? or while stationary? There's a big thread over at IRV2 about Thor MHs (ACEs) with the generator behind the left front tire overheating while traveling and shutting down.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if YOU changed the oil, which is probably not required with so few hours, what type DID you use? It's doubtful that it would create an 'over heating' issue, regardless, but would be nice to know.

We've had ours shut off from time to time, sometimes with no real rhyme or reason, and get the 'normal' code 3-6, which doesn't really tell an owner much. I usually crank the generator right back up, and it runs perfectly fine for the rest of the time I need it, or every time the AGS cranks it thereafter.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #7

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Our 2015 ACE 30.1 with the generator behind the driver side front wheel has never shut off. It has the solid door, I think some have louvers but ours doesn't. This includes driving all day and all night in a rest stop in 90 deg. heat. I don't have the MH here now so can't look but the owners manual has a chart with several options for oil viscosity according to temperatures. I just changed oil in ours but don't remember what I used. I have a generator, motor home, truck, three lawnmowers and a motorcycle I change oil in so I keep it written in the owners manuals. IIRC the generator called for an oil change at either 20 or 50 hours so a change sounds correct. Jim.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
The Genset in my 29.3 will overheat and shut down but only when I am using it while driving. The air just cant get out from underneath it. Lovered doors are in my future. It never happens while sitting still though or at least it hasnt yet and I just used it 9 hours last weekend in the driveway while working on the rig.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote