Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2023, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #29286
Vegas drivers seat off center

I thought I had posted this concern but I can't seem to find it. My captains seat seems too much to the right when sitting in it. It drives me crazy that the steering wheel isn't centered to my body. I had experimented with removing the bolts and moving it over about 2" and it felt a lot better. Made sure it could still swivel with no issues. I contacted Thor to see if they knew if there were any wires or obstructions if I were to drill new holes and they recommended seeing a service shop, like they would know. I looked at the schematics and felt somewhat comfortable drilling new holes. I could feel a corrugated plastic between the existing holes. From top down its linoleum, plywood then 1/2" metal board which is strong but thin aluminum. The drill bit went through with no issues. I used the metal plate underneath for a template. With a couple helpers (duct tape and multiple wrenches) we were able to complete what Thor should have done in the first place. It may only be 2"+ inches but what a difference now sitting behind the wheel! The plate underneath covers the old holes so no dirt, dust or vermin can enter. The cover under the seat covers 2 holes. All there is left to do is put a little almond caulking and plug the tiny screw holes left from the original position of the cover. Nobody's the wiser. I also had to move the cubby light in order for the plate to be re-positioned. Check out some pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	42280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	42281  

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	42282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	42283  

Old 06-09-2023, 01:22 AM   #2

THOR #29286
pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	42284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	42285  

Old 06-09-2023, 01:23 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Nicely written mod.
Thanks.
I think mine is also off center.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:37 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerShandy View Post
I thought I had posted this concern but I can't seem to find it. My captains seat seems too much to the right when sitting in it. It drives me crazy that the steering wheel isn't centered to my body. I had experimented with removing the bolts and moving it over about 2" and it felt a lot better. Made sure it could still swivel with no issues. I contacted Thor to see if they knew if there were any wires or obstructions if I were to drill new holes and they recommended seeing a service shop, like they would know. I looked at the schematics and felt somewhat comfortable drilling new holes. I could feel a corrugated plastic between the existing holes. From top down its linoleum, plywood then 1/2" metal board which is strong but thin aluminum. The drill bit went through with no issues. I used the metal plate underneath for a template. With a couple helpers (duct tape and multiple wrenches) we were able to complete what Thor should have done in the first place. It may only be 2"+ inches but what a difference now sitting behind the wheel! The plate underneath covers the old holes so no dirt, dust or vermin can enter. The cover under the seat covers 2 holes. All there is left to do is put a little almond caulking and plug the tiny screw holes left from the original position of the cover. Nobody's the wiser. I also had to move the cubby light in order for the plate to be re-positioned. Check out some pics....
In my case the problem is not that the seat is off center, instead the seat is not level side to side. I solved this by adding washers between the seat track where it is bolted to the pedestal. Adding a few washers underneath the low side of the pedestal would also fix the problem as well as move the seat over a little.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:16 PM   #5

THOR #13932
I added washers to the front two(of four total) seat/pedestal bolts to tilt it BACK a few degrees.

Huge comfort plus mod.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:42 PM   #6

THOR #29286
Thanks Ducksface. I thought I rambled on a little and made it confusing. Having a couple cold ones doesn't help either!
I remember reading about guys putting washers under for different reasons too. You must have been one of them.
The reason it really bugged me is the speedometer is on the right hand side and it was hard to see with my good eye. Sounds funny but true. I can hardly wait for our next trip to feel the difference.
I've ordered folding shelf brackets to make that foldable shelf beside the bathroom sink I believe like you did. That's that last thing that's driving me nuts! No counter space at the bathroom sink.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:33 PM   #7

THOR #13932
I wanted to put one on both sides of the sink, but just the one side cured the screeching sound from the sink location, so I didn't press my luck.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #8

THOR #29286
Hmm...never thought of that! My original idea WAS to put it on the left side but I'm always a little paranoid drilling and cutting where things are in plain sight. I think the right side is a great idea seeing how it's kinda tucked out of view. Still, a double shelf would be SO much more room!
I always assume (but don't want to) that I may be selling the rig and I like it to be as neat and tidy for the next owner. My plan when I bought this was to keep it when we retire and travel more. Guess it'll be up to inflation to make that decision for me. *eep*!
Cheers!
Old 06-09-2023, 09:34 PM   #9

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Way to go! No need to drive a crooked RV!
Can you post a pic of bathroom sink with shelf.
Our 24.1 is wonderful and our 1st choice of MH, but, a few quirks like the little bathroom sink. Appreciate the tip.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:58 PM   #10

THOR #29286
I haven't done ours yet and I don't know if posting Duckface's mod is proper etiquette. If you click his list of mods link you should be able to find it from this post.
I can still post when mine is done for fun.....
Old 06-09-2023, 10:00 PM   #11

THOR #13932
It's pretty simple.
The extension of the vanity is here
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...postcount=1363

Post 1363 in my signature thread, written especially for happy.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:21 PM   #12

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
A pic is always nice, but I can copy the step area extension. We have never used our shower. I'd rather stink than get a whole body cramp contorting into the 24.1 shower. So an extension will be much more useful to us. Foldable is great.
Old 06-14-2023, 06:39 PM   #13

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
I agree about the seat position. I have a AXIS 25.2 and always thought the seat was in the wrong position, and that the seat tilted slightly to the right. Thanks for your research. I'll try the same thing! Great pictures!
Old 07-29-2023, 08:14 PM   #14

THOR #29286
I can't express how happy I am now that my drivers seat is moved, centered and tilted. I have a couple washers on the front where the base sits on the floor and a couple on the right side between the seat and where the top of the pedestal base meet. I always felt a slight tilt to the right and also don't feel like I'm sliding forward out of the seat AND I can now see all the dash instruments no problem. Driving is such a big part of the whole experience!