Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Vegas fresh water tank fill modification

Finally got around to modifying the fresh water tank fill so that I would not have to fill on the opposite side of the hookups. Who designed that feature?

This may not be a big deal for some folks to fill on the opposite side from the normal hookups, but it became one for me for several reasons, but not worth mentioning here. If it is an inconvenience for you read on.

It took about an hour to do and cost less than $30 for the items which are readily available from home supply stores. The connections are made under the passenger side bed. Requires raising the mattress, access door and opening a ball valve which routes the water into the tank. Close the valve and you are back on water hookup or pump.

If anyone is interested in doing the mod, I can take some pictures and furnish an item list.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Please do post the pix.

Thanks.

Phil
Old 03-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its nice that you didn't remove the ability to fill from the normal filler; you've just added an extra feature.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Please do post.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
If anyone is interested in doing the mod, I can take some pictures and furnish an item list.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

THOR #1249
Sorry about not getting back sooner. Will get some pics and post today if I can remember how to do that.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

THOR #1249
Pics of fresh water tank fill

Here are a couple of pics of the water tank fill mod. It requires some 1/2" pex tubing, two 1/2" tees, one 90deg. ell and one pex valve. In the pic's there is a metal tee coming off the blue exterior water line supply. I would have used a poly tee like the one in the antifreeze inlet riser, but the store only had one poly tee, so had to use the metal one. It is not a "Shark Bite" brand, but is similar. I bought all the fittings at Lowes and would guess most home supply stores have the items to do the job.

What took the most time was finding a suitable clamp for the valve. I found one over in the electrical area that is used on conduit. The clamp had to be bored out so the clamp would not put to much force on the valve. You may find a better way to do it or have something on hand to clamp it. The whole installation should be clamped or supported so that it does not move around while going down the road and cause a leak. I have been back there while moving along at highway speeds to grab something from the frig. and it is kinda rough back there.
Hope this will save you some time and effort as you get ready to head down the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2469.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	301

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2470.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	302
Old 03-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
What model do you own?

It isn't going to be as easy on the 25.1

Bruce
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That plumbing arrangement looks like its on a 24.1.
(At least it looks nearly identical--without the mods--as our 24.1)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #9

THOR #1249
Yes, I think the Axis and Vegas are more or less identical except for the trim and head lights. I would guess the plumbing and wiring are very similar.

The 25.1 may be a little different though. Not familiar with that model and they are so new that I have not seen any on the road or campgrounds as yet. There may be some around at the dealers and I would like to do a walk thru to see what some of the differences are and any improvements.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
My old Allegro Class A motor home had a valve I could turn to direct water from the city connection into the Fresh tank. I almost never used it because it was a pain to reach, and the tank fill spout was literally right next to the city connection.

I just purchased a new to me 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 Class A motor home. Has anyone made this modification to this model? It looks like it would be simple since the city water line and the supply line from the fresh tank run right next to each other in the top of the wet bay. As for making the connections I would use Shark Bite connectors since all the plumbing is 1/2" pvc.

If the fresh tank fill was on the street side along with all the other connections, I would not bother. I just don't want to deal with dragging a hose curb side under the RV to fill the tank. I find myself asking why the designer thought putting the freshwater fill curbside was a good idea.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
My old Allegro Class A motor home had a valve I could turn to direct water from the city connection into the Fresh tank. I almost never used it because it was a pain to reach, and the tank fill spout was literally right next to the city connection.

I just purchased a new to me 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 Class A motor home. Has anyone made this modification to this model? It looks like it would be simple since the city water line and the supply line from the fresh tank run right next to each other in the top of the wet bay. As for making the connections I would use Shark Bite connectors since all the plumbing is 1/2" pvc.

If the fresh tank fill was on the street side along with all the other connections, I would not bother. I just don't want to deal with dragging a hose curb side under the RV to fill the tank. I find myself asking why the designer thought putting the freshwater fill curbside was a good idea.
Not on that model but I did it with my ACE 27.1. Installed a couple of tees and a 90 degree ball valve and now I can fill my FW tank from City water without using the gravity fill.

BTW, those are PEX pipes, not PVC. VERY easy to work with once you have the compression rings and compression tool available on Amazon for $30:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019DPYQZM/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:07 AM   #12

Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #22774
Maybe a dumb question, but I guess you have to access under the bed and open the valve to fill the tank, correct?
Old 11-01-2022, 02:57 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Finally got around to modifying the fresh water tank fill so that I would not have to fill on the opposite side of the hookups. Who designed that feature?

This may not be a big deal for some folks to fill on the opposite side from the normal hookups, but it became one for me for several reasons, but not worth mentioning here. If it is an inconvenience for you read on.

It took about an hour to do and cost less than $30 for the items which are readily available from home supply stores. The connections are made under the passenger side bed. Requires raising the mattress, access door and opening a ball valve which routes the water into the tank. Close the valve and you are back on water hookup or pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big R View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but I guess you have to access under the bed and open the valve to fill the tank, correct?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:51 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Seems like the key is connecting any cold supply line into the plumbing on the suction side of the pump... effectively bypassing the pump. When pressurized, water bypasses the pump and flows into the tank (or out of the suction line if the screw cap were removed). A valve in the bypass controls the flow.

I've been considering this in our 24F, but the issue is having to remove a kitchen drawer to get to the valve. Relocating it to a convenient location would require more extensive mods. But now I'm motivated...