Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I'm following this thread with interest. When I test drove the 2017 Vegas one of the things I noticed was that my feet did not rest on the floor when in the drivers seat!
I'm 5'4" and I can see this as being a serious issue when driving!
Curios to see how people solve this problem!
I'm 5'4" and own a 2016 Axis 24.1 and can relate to this post! :-) I have a 1/2 round cushion that i place in front of the seat to rest my feet on when I'm driving. Probably not ideal but it works.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #42

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
JollyRoger have you considered getting the shorter replacement base mentioned in a previous post?
RV Swivel Seat Bases,Chevy,GM,Dodge,Ford RV front seat bases
Using a cushion seems potentially dangerous to me if it were to slip out of place and prohibit access to the brakes or accelerator.
Have you experienced this?
Old 03-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #43

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
JollyRoger have you considered getting the shorter replacement base mentioned in a previous post?
RV Swivel Seat Bases,Chevy,GM,Dodge,Ford RV front seat bases
Using a cushion seems potentially dangerous to me if it were to slip out of place and prohibit access to the brakes or accelerator.
Have you experienced this?
I have.......but my hubby who's 6'2" would probably not appreciate it!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #44

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #5125
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Just spent some time under the front seats of my Vegas and found that the seats are held to the swivel mounts with 4 5/16" studs .
I took the nuts off ( 1/2" socket) and placed .300 spacers that I happened to have under the front two seat studs on each seat. The same could be accomplished by stacking washers.
It seems that .300 (a little more than 1/4") is all you can squeeze in there or else there won't be enough threads on the stud for the nut to grab.
That got rid of the bad angle on my seats and did not effect the swivel function at all .
Picked up the Vegas from storage on Sunday. First project was to get back to the seat. I took petew's advice and raised the front with 3 washers on each side. The seat already feels better. We will be taking a trip the next few weekends and I will report back. Here are some pictures of the mod. Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5228.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	4459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5229.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	4460  

Name:	IMG_5238.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	4461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5239.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	4462  

Name:	IMG_5240.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	4463  
Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #45

THOR #6203
I picked up my Axis Friday and as I feared the drivers seat is too high. I'm notable tore set my feet on the floor unless I'm using cruise control. My lower legs and feet were pretty swollen after my 3 hr drive home!
I plan to speak to my dealer and see if wean get a shorter base.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #46

THOR #6203
I just read my previous post and realized that it made no sense! Thanks predictive texting!!!
It should have read "I'm totally unable to rest my feet on the floor unless using cruise control! "
Sorry about that!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:59 AM   #47

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by giagejohn View Post
Picked up the Vegas from storage on Sunday. First project was to get back to the seat. I took petew's advice and raised the front with 3 washers on each side. The seat already feels better. We will be taking a trip the next few weekends and I will report back. Here are some pictures of the mod. Thanks again
After reading your post, I knew you had something. I took it one step further, and put a 3/8 nut in place of the three washers, it slips right over the 5/16 bolt, and the bolt is just long enough to get the lock washer and locknut back on. It does feel a lot better. Headed out tomorrow to see, but we won't have anything to compare because we have put 18 miles on our Vegas so far. But even in that distance I was concerned.....
Old 04-08-2017, 03:38 AM   #48

THOR #5112
my axis drivers seat leaned to the right. removed right side floor bolts and used 3- 1/8'' automotive shims under seat pedestal problem solved.called Thor and had them send me drawings of steel tubing under OSB where seat bolts go thru into bottom compartment.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #49

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Just finished a 500 mile Shakedown cruise. Perfectly happy with the seat mod. 3 to 4 hours no problem.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #50

State: Florida
THOR #10707
Wink Axis front seat height

Hello, I haven’t taken delivery yet of my 2018 Axis 24.1; very helpful Camping World is replacing water heater/door first. While visiting the unit and driving it a few days ago, very obvious that both front seats are comfortable though WAY too tall. I’ve read some remedies here; are there any that CW is likely to make for me before i purchase?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #51

THOR #10707
2018 Axis seat height

BTW, I drive with two feet (thanks, Dad), so with left foot poised above brake pedal which is already located to the right AND heel not able to rest on the floor (a different pedal-extender remedy?), not going to be possible to drive very far before left hip feels the stress. So three items: seat too high, brake pedal too high off floor, and brake pedal too far right.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #52
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarshore View Post
BTW, I drive with two feet (thanks, Dad), so with left foot poised above brake pedal which is already located to the right AND heel not able to rest on the floor (a different pedal-extender remedy?), not going to be possible to drive very far before left hip feels the stress. So three items: seat too high, brake pedal too high off floor, and brake pedal too far right.
While traveling last summer, we visited with a lady who was experiencing the same problem. She had pedal extensions installed on her motorhome. Don't know where she got them...but, they are out there.
I googled 'brake pedal extensions' ... there are plenty of links out there to help solve your problem. Amazon has many options.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #53

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarshore View Post
https://www.wheels.ca/news/the-probl...with-two-feet/ No disrespect to either you or your father meant here. Just food for thought.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #54

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Afternoon all.

We just returned from our 6th trip in our new Vegas 25.1. We love the way it drives and rides. So far so good. One issue I do have is with the front driver's seat. After only a couple of hours, I am ready for a break. It seems like the seat may be a little short/slanted and I constantly feel like I am sliding forward.

Has anyone modified the driver's seat? Not sure if a pad of some kind might help. What about a replacement? Has anyone replaced the seat with a power/lumbar adjustment?

Thanks

John
Mine was listing to one side. I loosened the bolts holding the seat base to floor (have to use two wrenches holding bolt from the under cargo compartment) and inserted a spacer or two to get it level - much better!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #55
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
https://www.wheels.ca/news/the-probl...with-two-feet/ No disrespect to either you or your father meant here. Just food for thought.
I was afraid someone would poke that hornets nest.

I agree with Earl but I understand the reduced reaction time argument, as invalid as it may be.

I just hate following someone down the highway when they're riding that brake pedal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #56

Model: Ace 29.3
THOR #6522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
On our Windsport the seats aren't to bad except the right armrest is about an inch higher than the left, on both seats! My wife is 5' 5" and her feet don't touch the floor when seated, I bought a memory foam cushion designed to go under a desk, she was very uncomfortable with her legs dangling. The drivers seat is also mounted to high, I don't think my wife could drive because of the seat height. When I have time I will see if there is a way to lower the seats, it will probably be a PIA to do. Guess Thor doesn't think about vertically challenged individuals!
We went to walmart to solve the issue of the wife's feet not touching the floor we found a folding step, it's lightweight and works perfect we also got one for the bed. Lol Pictures shows step under dash.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_105239.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	9182
Old 02-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #57

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Mine was listing to one side. I loosened the bolts holding the seat base to floor (have to use two wrenches holding bolt from the under cargo compartment) and inserted a spacer or two to get it level - much better!
... and then there's an actual study and statistical analysis - most pedal errors are from the mistaken one foot placement although hard data doesn't exist. I'm with Sugarshore, both feet. Between motorcycles, manual big cube trucks, sports cars, etc, my left foot is pretty smart.
https://www.vox.com/2015/7/1/8877583...ng-pedal-error
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #58

Model: Windsport 34P
State: New York
THOR #9002
Question Replacement?

Did anyone end up replacing their seats? If so, could you please provide details on what you went with?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #59

THOR #10788
Quote:

Thanks for detailed pics!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #60

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
My Drivers seat is off a few degrees to the left. Does anyone know how i can adjust it?

Tags
vegas 25.1