Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian 40A
State: Texas
THOR #5962
Venetian

Has anybody added solar panels to thir Venetian? If so what did you add - how many watts, make, etc.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm in the process of adding two 100w panels to ours right now... we'll see how it goes when she's all hooked up. I think for starters I'll just keep the two panels 'mobile' so that I can keep it easy until I know and understand how it is working in providing amperage to the batteries.
I've been against it for quite some time, which is to mean that the cost versus monetary reward is too far apart, to offset the use of the generator...

BUT

going to Alaska in the summer months might provide a whole different attitude to the solar payoff calculation - there is almost 24 hours of daylight during the summer months! Now, THAT makes solar more of an idea...

if it works well here at the house, I may mount them on the roof - but I also may decide to just keep them in the toad and bring them out when needed. My one real question has been about TILTING them toward the sun for the best output....
we'll see if I can come up with a simple, yet effective and easy to deploy tilt system...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We don't have a Venetian, but we did install 4 100 watt panels on our roof connected in parallel to the charge controller and then to the batteries. We added inline fuses just to make sure nothing got too far out of tolerance. When we purchased the Hurricane, we had the dealer install two additional house batteries (for a total of 4 12V) for our boondocking and tailgating usage. So far, so good although we can certainly use more solar to offset some generator use.

There are some things that solar just can't power like A/C and the microwave but overall it is a good solution for the 12V basics and our electronics.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Model: Venetian 40A
State: Texas
THOR #5962
I didn't think about mobile but it is an option I will look at.

4 100 watt was what I was thinking of installing but not sure if it's enough.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

Model: Venetian
State: Indiana
THOR #3837
Solar Panels in Venetian A40

Just completed adding two 120W, 24V semi-flex solar panels along with a TRACER 30A MPPT charge controller. Have a 30A breaker between panels and charge controller and charge controller and battery.
Everything is working great and it is keeping house batteries fully charged without shore power.