Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Sandoval View Post
Best thing to do it’s get them redone nothing else will help it’s not amaintance problem
Just cheap ass material mine when south two years after been brand new
Bite the bull it and do it
Yeah mine are starting to wear now after two years. In my case (since where I live, not many RV repair places), I'll just flip mine from top to bottom, then switch it to the other side and when they get worn too much, replace the whole thing.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 AM   #22

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Very little UV gets through even clear glass, my guess would be the heat in a closed RV during the summer may be the cause.
That dont sound right.

Unless your window is rated to BLOCK UV rays or you have window tint to block most of it.....Im sure a lot of UV light will make it though - How much? I dont know - perhap half or 1/3rd? I think we have like 3 types UV rays (A,B,C?) but one of them will penetrate unless its blocked by something? I dont pretend to know it all.

Look at all of the drapes or furniture that gets bleach by the sun after a few years in a house or RV.

I think this problem might be more heat/age related (plus cheap materials).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:52 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We actually added window tint to the side windows and windshield of our VEGAS. Not sure if it helped UV exposure, but man, definitely cuts the glare while driving and the reflection of the dash in the windshield.

Also definitely cut the heat in the front.

About gave the tint company a heart attack trying to tint the windshield, but they got it with only a very minor scratch in the tint.

Definitely made driving the VEGAS much more ejoyable...

Old 01-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #24

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Yeah I tinted my front windsheild (and the rest of the RV) with "clear" Ceramic window tint. Its actually 85% (so 15% tint - very light). It helped remendously with the heat in the entire RV (Esp the cockpit).

But my tint shop installs on the front Windsheilds all the time and did a perfect job.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:59 AM   #25

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
We had a Forest River Georgetown that the seats and sofa all started to peel around the same time during year 4. I contacted the original manufacturer who admitted that they had received many calls about the fabric problem. They would not consider it a warranty issue since too much time had passed and the company (Williamsburg Furniture) had purchased the fabric from another company. I subsequently purchased a new set of upholtery (supposedly made from a better fabric from a different manufacturer) from them and installed the new upholstery myself. It was much easier than the 1967 Mustang seats that I had done some years ago.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #26

THOR #16066
The seats in our 2015 Thor Ace are peeling. This is defective m arterial to not hold up better than this. It’s a shame Thor doesn’t stand behind their products better than this.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #27

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #6605
Same issue here, 2015 Miramar with 13k miles. U would think that such limited use would guarantee better performance and wearability but..
NO! Looking to buy new seats dinnet seating and couch (in West Palm Bch Fl) to upgrade my interior.
-Carlos
Old 02-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #28

Model: 37gt Challenger
THOR #12432
I have a 2014 challenger and my seats are flaking so bad! This is a common issue it seems from reading many posts.

I contacted Flexsteel and got quoted 425 each seat for "skins". If your up for replacing them yourself that may be a nice option. I am ordering mine monday and can post some pictures of the work. I am hearing 2-4 hours per seat but not too difficult if your handy.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
For a few dollars more and some shipping you can get brand new captains chairs from Shop4seats.com and have them add customization options such as heating, massage, lumbar support, etc (of course those cost extra).

Our new seats will be here at the end of next month; i'll let you know how the install goes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #30

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #10201
Seats

Our captain chairs were really worn when we bought our Vegas used (only 8000 miles) so the dealership replaced the covers from Thor which were ok but the covers didnt fit like they should and A big complaint, including us was that the seats felt like they were leaning forward. We took our seats to a upholstery shop that redoes boats seats. It was in December and they were kind of hungry so he did them for $600.00 (for both) with marine grade material and in 1 week time. He actually redone everything including the foam and fixed it where it doesn’t lean forward anymore. They are great and so comfy now that on our last trip of 1200 miles it was hard to keep my eyes open (im the passenger). Might try something like that.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:37 AM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
We were just talking to a sales person at North Trail RV last week, when the subject of peeling on vinyl seats came up. She said that it was all due to bad batches of material that Flexsteel had gotten from China. It ended up being in the vinyl upholstery in all brands of RVs across the board, from Newmar on down.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #32
Jdb

State: Indiana
THOR #17892
I fixed the “lean forward” issue on the captains seats by adding four washers to each side of the seat mounts - between the pedestal swivel and the seat bracket. They are
Much better now

Dave
Old 02-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #33
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
I have a 2014 challenger and my seats are flaking so bad! This is a common issue it seems from reading many posts.

I contacted Flexsteel and got quoted 425 each seat for "skins". If your up for replacing them yourself that may be a nice option. I am ordering mine monday and can post some pictures of the work. I am hearing 2-4 hours per seat but not too difficult if your handy.

Jeff
The 425 for each "skin", what is the material of the skins? Is it the same pleather or some other material?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #34

Model: 37gt Challenger
THOR #12432
When you call flexsteel they give you a choice of material. I chose the marine-grade I think they call ultraleather and they suggested it also for durability.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:12 AM   #35

State: Illinois
THOR #15227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomeOfReligion View Post
303 is fabulous as it will block UV rays and extend the life of vinyl used outside by 4 times. (Even longer inside). 09 Challenger is absolutely right about blocking sunlight out, whenever you can, though. Again, DON'T USE AMORALL!!!

Is 303 toxic?
Old 02-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLover View Post
Is 303 toxic?
Ingredients

Water
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • 7732-18-5
    • Carrier
  • Poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl), alpha-
    (2-propylheptyl)-omega hydroxy
  • Silicone emulsion
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • Name & CAS# Unavailable
    • Siloxane Emulsion
  • Sorbitol
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • 50-70-4
    • Humectant
  • 5-chloro-2-methyl-isothiazolin-3-one
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • 26172-55-4
    • Active Preservative
    • Present on List of Chemicals of Concern:
      • EU Respiratory Sensitizers
      • EU Fragrance Allergens
  • 2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • 2682-20-4
    • Active Preservative
      • EU Respiratory Sensitizers
      • EU Fragrance Allergens
  • magnesium chloride
  • magnesium nitrate
  • Tinoguard TL
  • Nonylphenol polyethylene glycol ether
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • 127087-87-0
    • Surfactant
      • EU Endocrine Disruptors
      • EU PBTs
      • CA TACs
      • Marine Priority Action Chemicals
  • Polyethylene glycol
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • 25322-68-3
    • Surfactant
  • Polyoxyethylene dinonylphenol
    • Intentional Ingredient
    • 9014-93-1
    • Surfactant
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #37

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
303 good UV blocker. But it’s not. A cocktail ingredient so don’t drink it.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #38

THOR #15227
Vinyl Seats flaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post

Jeff
Hi Jeff, that seems like an awful lot of money And it’s is happening on most of the seated surfaces So it would be thousands and thousands of dollars.just don’t wanna spend that money. I’ve only had this rig five years it only has 45,000 miles and wow Just should not happen no matter how long we have it or drive it. I really want to thank you though for your response.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #39

THOR #15227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
our 2014 Palazzo has the same peeling issues... I just added seat covers.
Can you be kind enough to tell me where you got your seat covers?
Old 02-29-2020, 11:00 PM   #40

THOR #15227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvictor30 View Post
We have a 2012 Thor Hurricane 33' with the bunk beds. Our seats and other places in the unit are peeling. There is only 30k miles on the unit. It is kept under a shed with the curtains drawn when in storage. The seats are manufactured by Lexington Corp of Elkhart IN.

I have attached a picture of the driver's seat on the side where the seat belt attaches. I wanted to show an area that doesn't get wear and tear so that it would be clear that it is not because of anything we have done. 2nd picture is the manufacture tag. 3rd picture is the driver seat area.

I talked with a Thor rep at the Tampa supershow 2017 about it. He said he would call us back after the show and he didn't have a card so I would have his name and number. Needless to say, he has not called in almost 7 months.
Can you be kind enough to tell me where you got your seat covers?