Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3022
vinyl seats peeling

2011 Serrano Both front seats and couch upholstery are peeling, Anyone else experiencing same?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We had this happen on our 2007 with Flexsteel captains seats. The sun did a number on them, and Flexsteel doesn't sell skins for their seats. We had them redone by a guy that does lots of boat seats and RV seats, too. Painfully expensive, but still cheaper than new seats!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I've talked to a lot of RV owners over the years and this seems to be a problem with a lot of folks. It happened with a previous 5th wheel we owned. I don't know of anything to keep it from happening. Wish I did because I'm concerned the same thing will happen on our new MH.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
Try 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Try 303 Aerospace Protectant.
303® Aerospace Protectant™ for long-lasting finish and shine
I have used this for 20 years and it can't be beat. As an upholsterer, we see lots of issues. Most vinyls in automotive use are very good, now. 303 adds a level of protection, especially against weather related issues. You can find it at Amazon, too.
DO NOT USE AMORALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.yellowstonescooters.com
TheHomeOfReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In addition: When in storage keep all the windows covered (either curtains closed, foil, or cover the camper). This includes plugging the ceiling hatches. UV light is nasty stuff if left to shine into the coach over the years.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Look at my recovered captain chair post and flexsteel does sell new covers for the seats
Old 01-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #7

THOR #2850
303 protects against UV RAYS

303 is fabulous as it will block UV rays and extend the life of vinyl used outside by 4 times. (Even longer inside). 09 Challenger is absolutely right about blocking sunlight out, whenever you can, though. Again, DON'T USE AMORALL!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
it is not UV damage it is low grade vinyl that the backing separates from the vinyl and appears to be peeling. There are many complaints about this and it is not just Thor it has affected many manuf. Your only option is to recover with higher grade material.
There are many with this problem with furniture in low light areas and units stored inside.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

THOR #2850
Here is some interesting info from another forum. The process of applying a coating on canvas or recycled leather needs to be done correctly. Unfortunately, knock-offs find their way to suppliers, therefore, many issues. As an upholsterer, I will use "customer's own material" (COM)...If I do, I let my customers know I will not warranty the material or the labor. If they use my materials, material and labor are covered for a year minimum. In 22 years, I have only had two issues I needed to address. Anyway, the following addresses a response from the ULTRA-LEATHER company.

What Others Are Saying - thorowners

Ultraleather
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/dete...s-96447-5.html
My name is Danielle Boecker and I am one of the Principals of Ultrafabrics, LLC. We have been selling the Ultraleather™ brand products to the RV trade for almost 20 years. Ultraleather™ has become a recognized brand name for superior quality and performance among the RV industry as well as aviation, marine, healthcare and contract seating to name a few. Due to the outstanding performance characteristics of our products we have achieved a high level of success. This has attracted many knock off products which are inferior to the technologies we use to produce the Ultraleather™ brand fabrics. The models mentioned in the blogs are not known to contain the genuine Ultraleather™ product when originally produced by the RV manufacturer. If you can demonstrate that your interiors utilize the genuine Ultraleather™ brand materials we would be happy to accommodate you with replacement product. If you would like to discuss further please call our Quality Assurance Department toll free at 888-361-9216.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #10

Model: Seranno 33A
State: Texas
THOR #2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackramseyer View Post
2011 Serrano Both front seats and couch upholstery are peeling, Anyone else experiencing same?
I am experiencing the exact same thing! My 2011 Thor Seranno 33a only has 15,000 miles on it and has been stored in a covered storage completely out of the sun when not in use. This is happening because the product used is literally PAPER THIN and as CHEAP as they could possibly use. In my 65 years of living, I have never seen ANY furniture covered with a product as flimsy as this. This is a HUGE disappointment to me in the company, and I can't help but wonder if they would use a product like this for the furniture, have they used CHEAP materials all over the coach??????
Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

Model: Seranno 33A
State: Texas
THOR #2389
Quote:
BTW, It is costing me $2000. to have mine recovered with a decent product!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
our 2014 Palazzo has the same peeling issues... I just added seat covers.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Very little UV gets through even clear glass, my guess would be the heat in a closed RV during the summer may be the cause.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #14

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Very little UV gets through even clear glass, my guess would be the heat in a closed RV during the summer may be the cause.
Our friends 2013 42' Toy Hauler had same flaking issues with fake leather. Where their seating was positioned UV never could have been an issue. They stored in the summer while home in SW Florida so extremely high heat inside the coach may have sped up the process.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #15

THOR #782
Vinyl seats peeling

We have a 2012 Thor Hurricane 33' with the bunk beds. Our seats and other places in the unit are peeling. There is only 30k miles on the unit. It is kept under a shed with the curtains drawn when in storage. The seats are manufactured by Lexington Corp of Elkhart IN.

I have attached a picture of the driver's seat on the side where the seat belt attaches. I wanted to show an area that doesn't get wear and tear so that it would be clear that it is not because of anything we have done. 2nd picture is the manufacture tag. 3rd picture is the driver seat area.

I talked with a Thor rep at the Tampa supershow 2017 about it. He said he would call us back after the show and he didn't have a card so I would have his name and number. Needless to say, he has not called in almost 7 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170101_163525.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	5996   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170101_163425.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	5997  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170721_222424.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	5998  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #16

State: Wisconsin
THOR #14220
Peeling upholstery

We own a Thor Hurricane, 2014. Used 3 months in the winter & stored for the summer. Our sofa is beginning to crack & peel. This should not be happening in such a short time. Does anyone know if Thor will take care of this issue as materials used were obviously not the best.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #17

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
There have been several threads about this problem. I doubt Thor will back it up after 4-5 years but there are inexpensive ways to repair. One would be a reupholster shop. I already have the material picked out for when mine goes to heck. Good luck, I hope you get some compensation for it.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #18

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
sad thing is...we found a barely used coach on a lot with fabric and a jacknife sofa.

DW wanted the plastic seats thinking it would be more forgiving with spills, the kids, muddy camping, etc...

In my searching to make sure I was negotiating a good price I found a new unit, same model year on a lot about 3-1/2 hour drive from here. negotiated to just about the same price. It had teh plastic. the plastic seating defaulted to a fold out air mattress instead of the jackknife apparently.

i don't remember exactly the delta, but fair bet I paid slightly more for the new rig with the plastic DW wanted AND drove 7 hours + round trip for the pleasure.

Now...
I'd rather have the fabric
I'd rather have the jackknife
Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
One other option, sometimes on this forum members are switching out couches for recliners. If you could find one close to you maybe you could make a deal with them for their couch. Just a thought
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 AM   #20

Model: Windsport
THOR #13291
Quote:
Best thing to do it’s get them redone nothing else will help it’s not amaintance problem
Just cheap ass material mine when south two years after been brand new
Bite the bull it and do it