Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #28179
Sumo springs ...install under compression??

We just got a 2021 promaster 20' tellaro. I installed the yellow sumo springs. I took off one spacer on the sumo's and when the suspension is at rest, the sumo spring is just touching the leaf spring. But I've seen install videos where some people install them on this same vehicle with both spacers and the springs are squeezed by maybe 1/2" or more and under compression against the leaf spring when at rest. Which is correct?

Old 10-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
It depends on how much impact you want from the Sumo's..... so it is a judgement call.

In my case I wanted them touching the axle so they are providing support immediately.... unlike factory bump stops, which require the suspension to compress quite a bit to close the gap.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #28179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It depends on how much impact you want from the Sumo's..... so it is a judgement call.

In my case I wanted them touching the axle so they are providing support immediately.... unlike factory bump stops, which require the suspension to compress quite a bit to close the gap.
Thanks. I also want them touching the leaf spring, which they are now (no gap), but there's no visible compression/squeezing when at rest. It's easy to see the compression (or lack of same) when you are installing them and drop the suspension with the floor jack.
My gut is telling me mine need to be under more compression than they are now because as I jacked up the right side after finishing installing the left side, I could see a gap being created under the sumo spring and the leaf spring.
How much are yours compressed when at rest? Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
We have them on our Axis and pickup. The pickup Sumo is just starting compression when it has no added load. The Axis is about 1/4 compressed without any extra loading.

The pickup rides just a little bit firmer without a load. Only really notice it on rippled washboard dirt roads. The unloaded Axis rides much nicer over any irregular surface or bump. Both vehicles handle better when loaded. The Axis is less harsh on rough roads. Best wishes with your new Tellaro.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBanville View Post
Thanks. I also want them touching the leaf spring, which they are now (no gap), but there's no visible compression/squeezing when at rest. It's easy to see the compression (or lack of same) when you are installing them and drop the suspension with the floor jack.
My gut is telling me mine need to be under more compression than they are now because as I jacked up the right side after finishing installing the left side, I could see a gap being created under the sumo spring and the leaf spring.
How much are yours compressed when at rest? Thanks again.
I have a very heavy coach.... mine compress about 1/2" at rest. As a matter of fact.... my coach is heavier on one side than the other. The heavy side is about 1/2" and the other side its about 1/4".
Old 10-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
My coach has a relatively high CCC (3.2K lbs) and I don't load heavily, but it's heavier on one side than the other. Sumo springs is the only modification I've done. On the rears, one side is compressed maybe 1/8 inch. The other side isn't quite touching. The two fronts are both compressed a little at rest.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:23 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
In the rear mine are compressed about 3/4" on both sides, but I am close to the max axle weight of 12,000 lbs (11,840 lbs). That is one of the down sides when caring a 140 pound spare and spare mount on the rear hitch on a coach with a rear outside kitchen. The fronts are compressed just a bit as our front is no where near the 6,500 lb (5,020 lbs) max axle weight.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #8

Model: 2019 Axis 25.6 "Otto"
State: Michigan
THOR #24224
FWIW when I installed mine, I had no idea if i should use the spacer or not on the rear so I called Sumo and they told me they should compress about 1/4" when installed, which meant no spacer on the rear of my Axis 25.6.