RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #15798
Viva - Mods to our 2016 24.1 Vegas

My wife and I bought a used 2016 Vegas 24.1 about a year ago and have been using some long trips (3-4 weeks) to shake it down and see what was working and what wasn't working for us. I have begun modification and farkling and thought I would share what we are doing. Many of the mods we will do are inspired by the many contributors on this forum and other sites and I hope some of our projects will inspire others. Let the farkling begin!

Old 11-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #2

THOR #15798
Moving the Mirror controls

In preparation for rebuilding the drivers side console with better and more cup holders and some storage, I moved the mirror controls to the dashboard. It was an easy hack to do as all the wires were long enough and it took about an hour. The benefits of this were that I no longer have electric controls where I was spilling coffee and as they are controls that I rarely use (heated mirror and mirror directional control) having them close but not 'at my finger tips' was fine. I moved both controls to the instrument cluster housing. (Mirror control is lower right and heated mirror switch upper right). This didn't require removal of the cluster housing as you can reach underneath and there is plenty of clearance behind. I applied painters tap to the instrument cluster housing, marked out where I wanted the switches and with a small step drill, a utility knife and and a rat tail file cut the holes for the switches. The job was pretty quick and easy. I also added a dual USB power outlet to the drivers side. Ill be posting the driver side console rebuild later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Electrics.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	27049  

Old 11-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
Thumbs up

Nice placement. I wouldn't have thought of using that space. Now I may even consider placing additional switches there in the future. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #4

THOR #15798
Sound Deadening.

Two projects completed this weekend. Both were sound deadening projects as the noise in the cab was way too much for comfort In the DB meter it was registering 82 on some parts of I5 and they say prolonged exposure over 85 can cause hearing loss. Not to mention divorce! First up was to put KilMat in the dog house. This was messy as clearly somebody before me had tried a home brew method of cheap insulation and what appeared to be liquid nails. After scraping off all the old stuff, two bottles of 'googon" and a lot of w40 (yes its a great glue remover), I had a clean dog house and then applied two layers of KilMat. All the joints were layered and the edges sealed with aluminum tape. Next up was a much bigger project inspired by Stan Fowler. Stan I salute you. You may have saved my marriage or at least my RV future. Following posts from Stan I began looking at the dash and the top of the engine. Early inspection showed the same problem Stan highlighted that the plywood deck over the engine bad had separated from the cap front and wind and engine noise was basically just blowing straight through. Out cam the dash, our came the ventilation system and I went to work getting the front end sealed up. With the exception of about 12 inches the entire deck had separated from the front cap so some carful pushing and shoving and wedging from underneath let me get the gap closed and re-attatched with added screws and liquid nails. Its important to note that for what ever reason the corner A pillar is not closed at the bottom. Im not sure why that is but road noise and wind can blow straight up that 'A' pillar cowl. I closed mine so we will see what the effect is. I got a roll of mass loaded Vinyl from Amazon and laid that in taping up all the cracks i could find. As Stan says, removing the dash is not as hard as you might think if you take your time and I would like to think that it is put back with more care and alignment than Thor used. So after two solid days of work, a couple of skinned knuckles and some sore knees I am pleased to report the whole project was a huge success. The bus is quiet! test driving at 65 on the same stretch of I5 yielded a 72 max decibel reading which is a huge I improvement. If anybody is getting cab noise they don't want I highly recommend this project. difficulty is about a 5 out of 10 if you can use a screwdriver, a utility knife and can spend some time on your knees. If you want to try it and have questions I am happy to help. I have three more noise projects to complete and will report more. Thanks Stan!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thanks for the info. Any pictures of this project? Or any other projects?

I would have like to added "Mass Load Vinyl" to my Axis. But I have already added 2 to 3 (Even 4 in spots) layers of Dynamat / Fat Mat to bottom of the dash and Fire wall (from under my hood),and inside / under dog house.

If I had to do it again I would start with Mass Load then two layers of the other stuff. They say ML is the most effective barrier for sound.

But im very satisfied with my results. 10 x better than OEM.

Keep your MODS Update coming.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote