Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Vmax 125AH & Generator?

2 New Vmaxtank batteries & 1st time running generator 2 hours and coach at 12.3 and chassis 12.4.
I have seen coach at 13.1 & 13.5 at times on SP.

Here is my converter that came with coach.

Also have 180w solar hooked up with generator off now.

Should generator make coach batteries higher than 12 3 or a upgraded converter will supply more power or better power or all is well?

Multi Meter coach 12.48 both batteries
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211229-150328_Drive.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	35380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211229-144005_RVMaster.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	35381  

Old 12-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Or your USE/STORE switch was in STORE while running the generator.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

THOR #20220
I can't find model above but saw these?

https://www.progressivedyn.com/power-converters-2/
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #4

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Or your USE/STORE switch was in STORE while running the generator.
In use 12v on & bmpro etc
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well 12.3 and 12.4 VDC on the batteries means NO CHARGING is happening. The converter should be putting out at least 13.1 VDC to the batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:59 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
2 New Vmaxtank batteries & 1st time running generator 2 hours and coach at 12.3 and chassis 12.4.
I have seen coach at 13.1 & 13.5 at times on SP.

Here is my converter that came with coach.

Also have 180w solar hooked up with generator off now.

Should generator make coach batteries higher than 12 3 or a upgraded converter will supply more power or better power or all is well?

Multi Meter coach 12.48 both batteries
Seeing your Energy Center picture reminds me why I was so fixated to get a Thor. A lot of folks railed on it, but I thought the Firefly was kind of cool. Looks like Thor has something better?

Your screenshot of the all in one covers everything but your converter

I have the Progressive Dynamics 9200 converter, but I am not sure why you wish to go that route. Too early, I am pretty sure you have a modern converter that has all of the intelligent programming needed.

From what little I have read thus far, if it were me, 1st thing I do is plug into shorepower to see if converter kicks in at 14 volts plus. It shouldn't be any difference between Shorepower and generator, but you can confirm that RV is in Use Mode.

My opinion on given your brand new AGMs and your solar controller; since you know you are down to 12.4vdc on chassis, I would allow my converter to recharge my batteries. NOT The solar controller; Solar is great, but I believe you want it to maintain charges to optimize it's use.

Trust me, don't flirt with letting your new batteries drop below 50%; otherwise they will be as bad as your FLA were.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:11 PM   #7

THOR #20220
Ok won't be on SP for 4 days

I ran generator for 1 hour and these shoe

When on SP 1 day ago coach was 13.1 and chassis 12.8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20211229-180818_RVMaster.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	35387  
Old 12-29-2021, 11:22 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Ok won't be on SP for 4 days

I ran generator for 1 hour and these shoe

When on SP 1 day ago coach was 13.1 and chassis 12.8
No worries, SP & Generator is same thing. I am just gonna assume you have in Use Mode.

But Picture you just sent shows Generator stopped. So nothing abnormal by that picture along, other than you are 70 - 75% SOC which is good.

Start genny take a new picture with it saying genny running and lets see what it says. If it were daylight, you could run one more hour out and get it to 12.7 or so and let the solar top it off.

I don't know what your AGS is programmed to cutoff, but you should be at 100% SOC before quiet time everynight. My AGS calculates Full charge automatically and shuts off.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #9

THOR #20220
Running generator popped to 12.9 then 13.0
Will leave on for 2 or 3 hours
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211229_191757.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	35388  
Old 12-30-2021, 01:42 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Running generator popped to 12.9 then 13.0
Will leave on for 2 or 3 hours
That looks normal.

I promise you, you need to configure you AGS and this will all be done for you.

All you have to do is turn AGS and get back to enjoying your vacation with the DW. You will tell that AGS system when quiet time is so it will never come on at time your DW does not want. I don't know your AGS, but it should make sure that batteries are fully charged before that quiet time begins. Since you have solar you should always be topped off anyway.

I rarely if ever turn my genny on with the stop / start button. When we do that it is mostly my DW needing to use the Microwave.

Not certain where your are but try not to run the genny past 9:00 PM local time. Write down your coach reading and see where you are tomorrow. If you configure every thing right, you should not have to run genny past 7:00 PM local time.

You keep playing with it; you will learn how to optimize it so you can maximize your solar. I don't have solar and my genny running two/three hrs a day is the most I need.

i.e. you may let your genny stop at 12.8vdc with the AGS, and let the Solar finish and maintain the full charge. Assuming sunny days, you should start every night at 100% SOC with no genny required
Old 12-30-2021, 01:43 AM   #11

THOR #20220
Generator running new stats but when shut off it goes down? Maybe normal? Coach 13.1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211229_191757.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	35389  
Old 12-30-2021, 01:44 AM   #12

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That looks normal.

I promise you, you need to configure you AGS and this will all be done for you.

All you have to do is turn AGS and get back to enjoying your vacation with the DW. You will tell that AGS system when quiet time is so it will never come on at time your DW does not want. I don't know your AGS, but it should make sure that batteries are fully charged before that quiet time begins. Since you have solar you should always be topped off anyway.

I rarely if ever turn my genny on with the stop / start button. When we do that it is mostly my DW needing to use the Microwave.

Not certain where your are but try not to run the genny past 9:00 PM local time. Write down your coach reading and see where you are tomorrow. If you configure every thing right, you should not have to run genny past 7:00 PM local time.

You keep playing with it; you will learn how to optimize it so you can maximize your solar. I don't have solar and my genny running two/three hrs a day is the most I need.

i.e. you may let your genny stop at 12.8vdc with the AGS, and let the Solar finish and maintain the full charge. Assuming sunny days, you should start every night at 100% SOC with no genny required
Ok will try
Old 12-30-2021, 01:51 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Generator running new stats but when shut off it goes down? Maybe normal? Coach 13.1
Something is not right with your last two pictures or I need a new Pitcher of beer

The pictures appear to be an hour apart but both show the same data, including total runtime of 360.5 hrs.

I don't see coach at 13.1?

Again it may be too late for a full charge to night off the genny but is you are down to 12.4vdc it should take about 4 hours to fully charged to 13vdc.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:32 AM   #14

THOR #20220
Maybe all is well generator on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211229_213122.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	35391  
Old 12-30-2021, 02:42 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Maybe all is well generator on
That looks good, real good

You have nice system. Your converter is just fine. You have a 3 in 1 type system anyway; so I don't think you could easily just swap the converter.

Be sure to record the voltage after you stop the genset. Then get a recording again after 30 minutes after the coffee has been made pot turned off.

Hopefully you have a sunny day, so you can see what Solar can do before night fall. My guess is that you will need to run genny 1 or 2 hours early tomorrow before letting the Solar take over, just depends on reading tomorrow morning
Old 12-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #16

THOR #20220
DKOLDMAN I read your earlier post where the generator should run 3 hours. Ran 3 hours. And this morning batteries at 12.7. We used water pump, 2 showers, 2 cups of coffee and hair dryer on inverter and stayed 12.6

Amazing! Our LFA never got above 11.7 and we did NOT do all the above ever.

Thanks to YOU & others

Hopefully it continues!
Wife is happy!
Old 12-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
DKOLDMAN I read your earlier post where the generator should run 3 hours. Ran 3 hours. And this morning batteries at 12.7. We used water pump, 2 showers, 2 cups of coffee and hair dryer on inverter and stayed 12.6

Amazing! Our LFA never got above 11.7 and we did NOT do all the above ever.

Thanks to YOU & others

Hopefully it continues!
Wife is happy!
DW is happy; Mission #1 is Accomplished.

Now if you are up to it, you will tweak and refine the process; and over time the goal is to have it automated; so you don't have to do anything but enjoy.

Have you ever gone into the AGS settings?

Take a look and see if you find something like the below and tell me what is the default setting is?

1. Auto Gen Start Voltage?

I am gonna assume it is set to AUTO; but maybe not? Change the value to be 12.4vdc

2. Auto Gen Stop Voltage

I am gonna assume it is set to AUTO; but maybe not? Change the value to be 12.8vdc ( this may change) Just want to see it run some and stop, the test is going to be to see what your 170watt Solar can do after it has been helped with the charging by Genny.

Just so you know, my Stop Voltage is set to Auto. But that is because I don't have Solar and we have no concern with the genny running or the noise. Mine tops off in about 2 hours before Quiet time every day which is what I consider perfect.

Don't worry about it for now, but see if your settings also allow you to enter a QUIET TIME you can set that later.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #18

THOR #20220
Yes very familiar with AGS use for AC with dogs.
Will set for AGM THX