Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2022, 05:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Vroom slide replacement

Has anyone on here spent the money to upgrade to the Vroom slide system out of Tucson, AZ?

I want to remove the bunks and install a washer/dryer but do not want the extra weight on the full body slide on the existing Swinetech slide system.

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Has anyone on here spent the money to upgrade to the Vroom slide system out of Tucson, AZ?

I want to remove the bunks and install a washer/dryer but do not want the extra weight on the full body slide on the existing Swinetech slide system.
Search Vroom and check the posts by Judge.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
As Dave said, you can read my reviews and the reviews of a few others that had the Schwintek Slide Mechanism replaced with the Vroom Slide System.

I had my full-wall slide replaced last October and haven't looked back. The difference in the design, components and robustness is night and day. The slide opens and closes quieter and more smoothly.

I paid $2500 but inflation has driven the cost up to $3000 or a little more depending on what needs to be done with your slide. Vroom doesn't just rip and replace. They inspect the main rollers and the slide itself and will correct issues they feel will impact the performance of the slide.

I know someone on the forum who recently had their slide done and Vroom found that Thor made the aluminum plates on the undercarriage of the slide too short so the rollers would slightly hang up when retracting the slide. It cost an extra $400 but he said it was well worth having everything fixed properly.

Regardless of what you are doing to your interior, my feeling is the Schwintek Slide Mechanism is a ticking time bomb for anyone with a heavy, full-wall slide.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #4

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a Chateau 31E with the big full-wall slide, and it has been problematic.

I've had to replace the slide motors and the controller. The motors have gotten out of sync multiple times even though I always fully extend or retract it.

Last summer we did a big 6500 mile trip around the country, and it started requiring multiple attempts to get the slide to retract. Then when trying to leave Las Vegas I could not get it to retract at all. We extended our stay there and delayed getting to the Grand Canyon because of the problem. A mobile tech said that we needed new slideout motors again, and they were not available anywhere. We finally found a local dealer who could get some, and got them in a day or two, but then I got the slide operating again without replacing the motors. So now I have some spare motors for the next time they fail.

Now it's in the shop getting some more work done on the slide. A roller isn't level and it's tearing up the metal plate under the slide and gouging the underside of the slide. I'm waiting for an estimate for the repair, and I expect it will be thousands of dollars.

I'd love to have the Vroom system installed, but it costs over $3000, and it looks as if you have to have it installed in AZ. I live in MD, so that makes it tough to get done. If we ever do another RV trip to the southwest I might try to get it done.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:48 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I have a Chateau 31E with the big full-wall slide, and it has been problematic.

I've had to replace the slide motors and the controller. The motors have gotten out of sync multiple times even though I always fully extend or retract it.

Last summer we did a big 6500 mile trip around the country, and it started requiring multiple attempts to get the slide to retract. Then when trying to leave Las Vegas I could not get it to retract at all. We extended our stay there and delayed getting to the Grand Canyon because of the problem. A mobile tech said that we needed new slideout motors again, and they were not available anywhere. We finally found a local dealer who could get some, and got them in a day or two, but then I got the slide operating again without replacing the motors. So now I have some spare motors for the next time they fail.

Now it's in the shop getting some more work done on the slide. A roller isn't level and it's tearing up the metal plate under the slide and gouging the underside of the slide. I'm waiting for an estimate for the repair, and I expect it will be thousands of dollars.

I'd love to have the Vroom system installed, but it costs over $3000, and it looks as if you have to have it installed in AZ. I live in MD, so that makes it tough to get done. If we ever do another RV trip to the southwest I might try to get it done.

Vroom has a dealer now In Connecticut.

If you end up spending thousands to keep fixing it plus the lost time and frustration of deslingtwiyh it during trios , the Vroom ROI is undeniable.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #6

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Vroom has a dealer now In Connecticut.

If you end up spending thousands to keep fixing it plus the lost time and frustration of deslingtwiyh it during trios , the Vroom ROI is undeniable.

Good to know they have a dealer in CT.

I'm still not sure how long I'll keep this RV, but if I keep it long term then the Vroom system would be a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I know someone on the forum who recently had their slide done and Vroom found that Thor made the aluminum plates on the undercarriage of the slide too short so the rollers would slightly hang up when retracting the slide. It cost an extra $400 but he said it was well worth having everything fixed properly.
I'll bet a nickel that's why my DS slide hangs and jerks about a third of the way in while retracting. Really looking forward to getting mine done.
2022 Jeep Sahara EcoDiesel (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #8

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Vroom installation in Connecticut, who,where and has anyone have installation there. More information please.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Vroom installation in Connecticut, who,where and has anyone have installation there. More information please.
Cuz it ain't on the Vrooom website.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #10

THOR #1295
A million thanks. I emailed them this morning to book an appointment!

Thanks for the information- very much.

Darren
Old 07-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post

I spoke with Brian Vroom last year when I was there last October and he told me he was partnering with a shop in Connecticut and helping them get on line to service customer on the eastern side of the US.

If you call Vroom Engineering (520-293-3819) and tell them you would like connected with the Vroom Slide unit, they should be able to give you information.

While I live on the eastern side of the US and he offered up Connecticut as an option, I wanted to go right to the shop that designed the system and fabricates the parts and has the most experience. Remember we have RV's to travel the country. I was in the upper plains when I decided to divert directly to Tuscon to have mine done there.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #12

THOR #1295
Got an email reply from Vroom.

$4,500.00 per slide and booked till May 2023. Spoke about building new facility which should alleviate the wait times. No models older than 2015.

Darren
Old 07-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Vroom slide replacement

Thnaks for the update !

I knew they were booked through this year. I’m amazed he is booked through May of next year!

I’m glad I got mine done last October with the wait times and the price increase.

I paid $2500 but I think I would still pay the $4500 if I had to do it now. It is still worth it compared to Schwintekk.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:47 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Got an email reply from Vroom.

$4,500.00 per slide and booked till May 2023. Spoke about building new facility which should alleviate the wait times. No models older than 2015.

Darren
Isn’t 2015 the first year for TripleTrak on Thor
Old 07-09-2022, 05:14 PM   #15

THOR #1295
It was! Have not had any problems yet but nervous every time I run slide in or out!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:10 PM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #19094
vroom Slide

I live in Phoenix and booked a few weeks ago with Vroom.
First open appointment was Dec 19 this year.

Price quoted was $3,000 but it will be interesting to see if they honor that quote at year's end.
Was also told they would send me the address to the new Tucson facility.

First, need get get my stuck out big slide retracted in order to drive it to Tucson. "Fortunately" my bedroom slide is stuck in. I've wasted more time on both slides than I'd like to admit. POS.

2021 Thor Omni XG 32
Old 07-14-2022, 12:38 AM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Brauer View Post

Price quoted was $3,000 but it will be interesting to see if they honor that quote at year's end.

First, need get get my stuck out big slide retracted in order to drive it to Tucson. "Fortunately" my bedroom slide is stuck in. I've wasted more time on both slides than I'd like to admit. POS.

2021 Thor Omni XG 32
It's a damn shame and I feel your pain but it is what it is........

I will tell you that you can check the slides off the list of problems once Vroom is done with them. I have been extremely pleased with my full-wall slide.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:30 AM   #18

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Brauer View Post

2021 Thor Omni XG 32
Dam- wondering why you got it so soon? Mine is next June. He stated hopefully when new facility gets up and running will be able to fit me in sooner. BTW, any suggestions on nice RV parks in Tucson?

Just curious if your newer RVs have the two or three rail system?

Darren
Old 07-14-2022, 03:43 AM   #19

State: Arizona
THOR #19094
Vroom Slides

Can't recommend a Tucson RV park but if you're there about 125 miles SW is Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. They're set up for RVs.
Really remote feel, and great night skies. Only 6 miles to the border.

If you're into cactus this is the place. If you not into cactus it's still worth a visit for the experience.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #20

Model: Four Winds, 31W
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17122
Vroom Slide Upgrade

Search for "Vroom slide solution" on YouTube and watch the "All About RVs" channel episode. I have a full wall slide on my Four Winds and treat it gingerly--keeping things clean, lubed, and keep the button pressed til it stops running--when all the way out and all the way back in. Living on borrowed time. But yes, the Schwintek system is a lousy design.