Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 04:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Nevada
THOR #13593
Want to disable side mirror cameras

Howdy,

Edit: our rig, 2018 Hurricane 35M

Just returned from a 2400 mile trip to Mt Rushmore, then Moab and back.
I like to travel with my Rear Camera on showing on the radio (I tow a Jeep).
I find the Rear Camera view much more useful to change lanes. So I became one of those that didn't use my blinkers :-p
Has anyone disabled their side cameras, especially disabled so that the radio doesn't change to the side camera view.. Want the rear camera view to stay when using turn signals.
I hope I explained that well enough.

Thanks in advance,
IrnBear

Old 10-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Doesn't seem logical to me, but whatever works for you

If I have the rear camera on and look at the display, turn on the turn signal, I want that view to the side immediately before changing lanes

Once you turn the wheel the rear view is a mute view until you finish the turn
Old 10-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Locate your switcher box under the dash removeable panel:

Download the manual here.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/amfil...0/product/618/

Cut the 2 turn signal trigger wires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
personal choice is yours

but i use my side view cameras with my turn signals and mirrors to see whats NOT or is Beside me before lane change. unless its an emergent action to avoid an issue

my system clicks back to rear camera within a few seconds after signal is turned off
Old 10-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #5

THOR #13593
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Thank you very much for the info. I will take a look at this.

I appreciate the Do what you do comments as well.
I don't use those side cameras view at all. I use my mirrors, I then confirm with my rear view camera that I am well clear of the vehicle in that lane I plan to pull in front of.

I'm willing to bet there are many folks that don't use the side view cameras.
The changeover from side to rear is not quick at all, thus not useful in the way I use my rear view

Thank you again,
IrnBear
Old 10-06-2020, 12:55 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Obviously you should do what works for you. I didn’t like or use my side cameras for a while as I’d never had them and it was just one more thing to check during a simple maneuver. But I’ve since gotten used to them and now consider them to be essential safety kit. One thing it’s done for me is to encourage me to signal my intentions sooner and obviously double check - triple really as I check the rear camera, turn on the signal, check the mirrors while the camera is switching and finally confirm that all’s clear with the side camera. Never too old to learn new tricks.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #7

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Our side cameras took some getting used to as well; however, once we realized that we could "clear the rear" of any vehicles with the TOAD using the camera before turning on the signals and changing lanes it's not so bad.

I'd advise caution before disabling the turn signal cams from an insurance and liability standpoint. Just my 2 cents.
Gary
GVP
Old 10-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
My system allows me to put it into a scanning mode so the display changes between all three cameras based on a periodic interval that I can can figure.

I find that can be helpful when there is a lot of heavy traffic all around you.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Our side cameras took some getting used to as well; however, once we realized that we could "clear the rear" of any vehicles with the TOAD using the camera before turning on the signals and changing lanes it's not so bad.

I'd advise caution before disabling the turn signal cams from an insurance and liability standpoint. Just my 2 cents.
Gary
GVP
We have a local lawyer here that has never lost a case to date and does almost exclusively large vehicle lawsuits

Last year a motorhome got rear ended North of Branson on 65, turns out they had the stop lights disabled from the compression brake activation switch. they most likely drove with it engaged all the time and when they activated it and slowed rapidly without brake lamps they got rear ended on a busy 4 lane Hiway tying up traffic the rest of the day

This is the type stuff his investigators find to easily keep on winning, any safety equipment disabled or proven to not be utilized keeps him bringing in millions each year

Travel though Springfield and you wiil see his picture on the billboards
Old 10-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #10

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
I would suggest adding a dedicated screen for your rear view.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Thanks.
Or just Disconnect? Does this stop the radio cutout too or just the camera? Thanks.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:34 AM   #12

THOR #13593
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Thanks.
Or just Disconnect? Does this stop the radio cutout too or just the camera? Thanks.
My rig is getting Ceramic Coated, won't see it till next week. Once I get it back I will look into this and get back to you.
Unless someone already knows.

Bradley
Old 10-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #13

THOR #13593
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanlora View Post
I would suggest adding a dedicated screen for your rear view.
Now that's a thought

I just don't use the side cameras.. I use the heck out of my mirrors, same view
Old 10-08-2020, 03:12 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I tried to follow but couldn't quite get the concern what you miss during a lane change? I know of few that have been annoyed with side cameras turning off radio momentarily, but never heard of a concern with rear camera view being momentarily being disabled?

Like you I keep my rear camera on all time (and I don't have a toad ) but I use as a rear view mirror. I had considered to adjust to get a even broader view of the rear, but when I back up I like the current view. But when I am driving and wish to switch lanes, I think we do the same? I check my rear and my side mirrors. If all is clear I put on my signal as I prepare to change lanes. Why are you wanting to not have the added side camera view for that time period in favor of having the rear camera stay on? Not sure what you wish to see at the rear during that momentary change of lanes? But I think you are right about one thing, I do use my side mirrors. My biggest pet peeve with my coach is when I wash it, sometimes I inadvertently lose the perfect adjustments of the side mirrors I can adjust the main side mirror while driving but need to stop to to adjust the lower 1/4 of the side mirror.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:17 AM   #15

THOR #13593
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I tried to follow but couldn't quite get the concern what you miss during a lane change? I know of few that have been annoyed with side cameras turning off radio momentarily, but never heard of a concern with rear camera view being momentarily being disabled?

Like you I keep my rear camera on all time (and I don't have a toad ) but I use as a rear view mirror. I had considered to adjust to get a even broader view of the rear, but when I back up I like the current view. But when I am driving and wish to switch lanes, I think we do the same? I check my rear and my side mirrors. If all is clear I put on my signal as I prepare to change lanes. Why are you wanting to not have the added side camera view for that time period in favor of having the rear camera stay on? Not sure what you wish to see at the rear during that momentary change of lanes? But I think you are right about one thing, I do use my side mirrors. My biggest pet peeve with my coach is when I wash it, sometimes I inadvertently lose the perfect adjustments of the side mirrors I can adjust the main side mirror while driving but need to stop to to adjust the lower 1/4 of the side mirror.
You have explained it the best. It's like having a rear view mirror.
When I have my toad, I can see in the rear camera that I am clear of the car I am passing, car I am pulling in front of in a lane change
I can see that the toad is clear.
Like my passengers say, I drive my rig like a car. I think that was complement.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #11915
We have a 2019 Thor Vegas. We rarely have our radio on and we have our rear camera on to keep an eye on our toad. We like the side mirrors, but once we have gotten to the lane we want or made our turn the system does not return to the rear camera view. We have to start from the beginning signing in. Any ideas on correcting this would be appreciated. We have called the manufacturer of the radio/camera and no solution?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #17

Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
I disconnected all three cameras from the box and took the box out, then added a 9 inch screen with multiple camera inputs to the dash that allowed me to display all 3 camera views all the time. Now the rear view displays across the top half of the screen, and the left and right cameras split the bottom half. I love it, and the in-dash radio screen no longer is involved.

Screen, $70 from Amazon, is podofo 9" TFT LCD Split Screen Quad Monitor.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #18

THOR #15881
To answer your question, as noted above clip the two trigger wires leaving enough on both ends to be able to reconnect if you decide to in the future. Trigger wires are in the red circles in my picture. I also utilized the video output RCA plug (green circle) which runs to a 10" monitor on my dash which gives me a constant view of my toad in the rear view camera.

Another option is to use a separate monitor hooked up to the video out like my 10" shown below, disconnect the yellow plug which goes to the dash radio and leave the side cameras in play. I did not test it but my understanding is that using a separate monitor eliminates the lag from side camera back to rear camera. I believe the time lag is caused by the radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7310.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	26606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7311.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	26607  

Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #19

THOR #13593
Awesome, Thank you :-)
Old 10-11-2020, 12:19 AM   #20

Model: Venetian
State: Michigan
THOR #19687
I disabled my side cameras

I also found the side camera switching a dangerous distraction. It was useless, as it took about three seconds of video mess during the switch, and by that time I was almost done changing lanes. So not only was it distracting, it was also useless. My camera switch box looks different from those shown in others' replies, but I also just cut the two turn signal wires so that it would stay on rear view. I'm now looking into additional monitors for viewing multiple cameras without the switching while maneuvering.