Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 12:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
How do I cut a sink cover board?

Hey all, I have a plastic cover for the big round sink in our Citation. When it’s on the sink, I get about a third more counter space - yay! - but I really want to be able to have partial access to the sink (drop in dirty items, be able to rinse produce etc).

So... I’ve seen some new RVs have sink covers that are in two pieces so you can cover half of the sink and have half of it still usable. I may have had a stroke of genius when I decided to just slice our existing cover in two. Or it’s a profoundly bad idea. Time will tell.

What should I use to slice this sink cover up? Would a circular saw be right? I don’t want to freehand it as it will end up looking like a jigsaw puzzle!

Old 02-09-2020, 01:22 AM   #2

Model: Gemini tw
State: Alberta
THOR #17351
Cutting sink cover

I would use a table saw with a fine tooth blade and cut it ceramic side down to eliminate chipping.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:14 AM   #3

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Take it to a vocational school in your are and they will do it free. I use one near me for all sorts of stuff. AC. Welding. Machine work. Auto body. Electricity.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygirlscats View Post
Hey all, I have a plastic cover for the big round sink in our Citation. When it’s on the sink, I get about a third more counter space - yay! - but I really want to be able to have partial access to the sink (drop in dirty items, be able to rinse produce etc).

So... I’ve seen some new RVs have sink covers that are in two pieces so you can cover half of the sink and have half of it still usable. I may have had a stroke of genius when I decided to just slice our existing cover in two. Or it’s a profoundly bad idea. Time will tell.

What should I use to slice this sink cover up? Would a circular saw be right? I don’t want to freehand it as it will end up looking like a jigsaw puzzle!

Depends on what it is made from. Sounds like a table saw would do the job. Mine is Corian so I would have to step up the process.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
Vocational school - what a great idea! I will tap our local one and see whether they would be willing. A quick search on the internet brought up cautions that a power saw could create too much friction and melt the plastic as it goes through, which would be weird...

Ours is plastic throughout, no Corian or other hard surface on the top so at least I won't have to worry about chipped edges.

Thanks, all. As always, great suggestions from the users on this forum.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
if it is a corian branded cover, its PLASTIC thermoset resin based,

a fine tooth table saw blade will cut it, but you need to go slow and not allow heat to build up.

if you cut it taking small bites at a time, like 1/8" cuts. this will allow a smooth cut and not generate the heat that will ruin the material

if its some other material, like a formica over wood then you still need a fine tooth saw blade and and tape over where you want to cut and cut it face down to help prevent chips ore splintered ends
Old 02-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Maybe a band saw, with a fine blade cut slowly, Then a file to smooth, then sand paper then finer sand paper to finish you like.
A hole saw to make a finger hole
Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
depending on the size of your sink....
our Axis has the round 16" sink...
we were lucky to find at Home Depot a round of pine..probably meant to be a table top...
it is the perfect size...I have food grade mineral oil for my cutting boards...I used it on this round...and it has served us well...as a cover for the sink and a cutting board.
Ron put 3 rubber bumpers on the underside, appropriately spaced so the cover does not slide off the sink !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
A band saw would be best. But don't cut it in half, it will just fall in, cut it more than half, say 65 percent.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:10 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Try just cutting a oval hole it it maybe to drop stuff in? Still have counter that way. You can make them out of wood pretty easy and I bet the school can do that too.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I would keep the original cover intact and use it as a pattern to make a 1/2 cover from butcher block or some other material.