Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
It was 2018 when the Axis/Vegas models added a 12 v socket in the bedroom for a C-Pap machine. I will install one in my 2017 when it cools down outside. Its like 6 buck on Amazon (plus wires and fuse).

I installed the 1200 Watt Aims in my Axis and love it. I followed the YouTube videos mention above. We use it for our TV and lap top + a small Led lamp we put on the dinning room table.

Lots of postings on the 1200 Watt Aims inverter on this site. Do some searches.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #22

State: Utah
THOR #16494
I want to thank Long and Winding Road for his solution for the C-Pap machine.

I would wish he might go a little farther on the 1200 Watt Aims, rather than stating that there are lots of posts on it if you search.

cpl jim
Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #23

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl jim View Post

I would wish he might go a little farther on the 1200 Watt Aims, rather than stating that there are lots of posts on it if you search.

cpl jim

I typed in nothing but:
'Axis inverter YouTube'
And this excellent, forum member produced two part YouTube, along with a dozen other sources popped up in
.069 seconds.

I'm going to suggest you subscribe to this channel and the channel shown in the 'console modification' entry earlier today.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here’s video #3

https://youtu.be/sSb6vC6orzM

This is the wiring diagram
Thanks to Finding Our Happy!

So now you have them all within this thread of posts.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #25

THOR #12231
Quote:
I want to thank Long and Winding Road for his solution for the C-Pap machine.

cpl jim
Sorry.....I still have not master posting links to forum threads. But the search function is easy to use and you might fine 20 different and useful postings on this subject.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Sorry.....I still have not master posting links to forum threads. But the search function is easy to use and you might fine 20 different and useful postings on this subject.
That's the thing I like about doing a search. The tertiary things you find that directly indirectly relate to what you looked for.

Links are easy. Slight tap on the address bar of what you want to link.
A copy bar pops up.
Copy
Paste.
That's all I did to insert that YouTube vid.

And
That vid caused an aims inverter on my amazon list for months.
I went with a monster one that will cascade and does 150amp charging, but these three aims vids are how it all got started.
Thanks.

Here's the inverter I have along with an auto generator starter.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...1-a-18559.html
Cw did a fine fine job on the install with everything but the 350amp fuse. I had to break out the crayons to explain that the available 300amp fuse was actually BETTER NOT LESSER protection on something that will probably never pull 250amps than the backorder 350amp fuse. THAT was a three week wait until I found out what the wait actually was, then it was a 7 minute delivery....
Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #27

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I have a 2017 AXIS 25.4, I live in Southern California an I spend a lot of time during the fall, winter and spring in the Yuma area of the Colorado River, lots of sun so I wanted to get away from the generator and go with solar, I did my research and it sent me to Renogy, you get a better deal with them on Amazon, give them a call but have all the specs of all your appliances, TV, microwave and so on, they will want to know the volts, amps and Watts if you can provide all that, they will help pair you up with a system that will work, its not a good idea to just go out and buy panels and inverters unless you have crunched all the numbers, I installed a 400 watt solar kit with the controller, about $800.00, 4 100 watt panels and I bought the ABS plastic mounting kits for each panel, they glue down to the vinyl roof and no screws going into your roof and mine have been on now for two years and no problem, I replaced the two house batteries with two gel cell batteries from Renogy and added two more in the very rear compartment at the back end of the coach, I finished off with a 2000 watt Renogy Inverter/Charger, gel cell batteries do not charge the same as wet batteries so the Inverter/Charger combo was necessary, the Inverter/Charger can also be hard wired, your shore power and generator go through a transfer switch to keep them isolated, the power then goes to your breaker panel, when the Inverter/Charger is installed the out put wires from the transfer switch go directly to the Inverter/Charger and then out of the Inverter/Charger to the breaker panel, the existing battery charger gets disconnected, the 2000 watt Inverter/Charger will put out just over 16 amps at 120 volts AC, this will power just about everything in a coach with the exception of the roof air-conditioning, the Inverter/Charger also has a 30 amp bypass so the entire load of your coach can by pass through the Inverter/Charger when you are using shore power or your generator, this was not just a weekend job and if you are not skilled with house electrical you should get with a licensed electrican, I got rid of the 120 volt TV that was above the entry door and bought a Pioneer 12 volt DC RV TV to replace it, I bought the Amazon Fire stick, a MIFI box from Verizon and I can leave the TV on full time and never worry about dead batteries, I have a cover for my coach and during the summer the solar panels will keep the batteries charged wile the cover is on the coach, I would post some pictures but I have not had any luck on this site, if you are interested just message me and I will provide you with some pictures and information
Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
Hi Jim;I had laketown speed and sound install an AIMS 1200 watt inverter with transfer switch in my 2018 Vegas,work's fine for the grand kids to watch tv and satellite while on the road. When I had access rv install the satellite I asked about the inverter and was advised it was a good one for what I wanted. I'm sure they will treat you right as I was very pleased with their work. Certainly better than camping world. Semper Fi to a fellow officer.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:11 AM   #29

THOR #12231
BASSMAN - That sounds like a great system.

Please try and post pictures again. It not that hard one you do it once or twice.

You said you "leave your cover on" and the Solar still charges the batteries? Which cover do you have? It must be very thin? Is it just a few watts so its able to keep up with the normal discharge?
Old 09-08-2019, 03:17 AM   #30

THOR #12231
The Aims 1200 inverter is an excellent value. But when I searched today on Amazon I only saw the "ETL certified" version for like $130 more ($289.00). What a shame. Perhaps some other websites carrier this value packed inverter. But that being said I would not hessitate purchasing any other Aims inverter that fit my needs. Im very happy with mine so far.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:51 AM   #31

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
Long & Winding Road, the cover I bought for my motorhome is a marine grade fabric, its a Nylon mix, yes it is some what thin but not a light weight, it takes two people to put it up and its all I can do to pick it up when I take it off, it has a 7 year warranty and was about $650.00 so its not a cheap cover, during the summer when I have the cover on it I walked inside and noticed the top light on the controller flashing, this means the panels are charging the batteries, I had to look at the display and it showed the batteries at 13.9 volts, I had left some of the interior lights on and checked it a few days later and battery voltage was 13.7 volts, I was impressed. help me out on posting photos on this site, I have tried a few times and it does not work, I have read other post of people having the same problem
Old 09-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #32

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
The Aims 1200 inverter is an excellent value. But when I searched today on Amazon I only saw the "ETL certified" version for like $130 more ($289.00). What a shame. Perhaps some other websites carrier this value packed inverter. But that being said I would not hessitate purchasing any other Aims inverter that fit my needs. Im very happy with mine so far.
It looks like AIMs discontinued the 1200/2000 watt in favor of a new & improved 1200/2400 watt unit. I can’t find the old version anywhere...sold out at all web stores.
The tariffs may have had something to do with the increased cost. But I’ll gladly pay more to support the Trump economy.

AIMs 1200/2400 Inverter with auto transfer switch
Old 09-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #33

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Quote:
We are new at this, having purchased a new Vegas 24.1 The problems we have had do not go to Thor, but to the selling agents and their mechanics. For example, we purchased it knowing that the front windshield needed replacement and were "promised" to get it done in three days. After 20 days we found out (a Thor call) that it had not even been ordered.

So, you are dealing with a "newby" and would like to use this forum for some of the things (like propane and whether to shut it off for gas refills; we do!) but others that probably have been answered before.

The question on point today deals with solar.

We added 100 watts of solar to the unit but wonder if we did the right thing. Does the Vegas 24.1 come with an inverter, and not the charger?

Should an inverter be added, or installed where the charger is? And if so, what should be the inverter equipment be that would take care of those things that the solar might be installed for?

Not just being newbies, we are really rather old to get into this and find that there are many things that we could learn.

Unless you boon dock alot I cant see needing any solar in a 24.1. All of our lights are led and can run all night and not run the house battery down. A small 300 watt inverter will run a tv all night. Mine came with two 12v house batteries. I needed a battery for my boat so I 'borrowed" one out of the rv. I've never but it back because one does all that is needed.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:35 AM   #34

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Long & Winding Road, the cover I bought for my motorhome is a marine grade fabric, its a Nylon mix, yes it is some what thin but not a light weight, it takes two people to put it up and its all I can do to pick it up when I take it off, it has a 7 year warranty and was about $650.00 so its not a cheap cover, during the summer when I have the cover on it I walked inside and noticed the top light on the controller flashing, this means the panels are charging the batteries, I had to look at the display and it showed the batteries at 13.9 volts, I had left some of the interior lights on and checked it a few days later and battery voltage was 13.7 volts, I was impressed. help me out on posting photos on this site, I have tried a few times and it does not work, I have read other post of people having the same problem
Good to know. Im sure others that are thinking of a cover and solar will be happy to hear about this.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:36 AM   #35

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
It looks like AIMs discontinued the 1200/2000 watt in favor of a new & improved 1200/2400 watt unit. I can’t find the old version anywhere...sold out at all web stores.
The tariffs may have had something to do with the increased cost. But I’ll gladly pay more to support the Trump economy.

AIMs 1200/2400 Inverter with auto transfer switch
Yeah but its a big jump in price over the old verson. Hopefully its improved in a few ways.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:41 AM   #36

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrockytop View Post
Unless you boon dock alot I cant see needing any solar in a 24.1. All of our lights are led and can run all night and not run the house battery down. A small 300 watt inverter will run a tv all night. Mine came with two 12v house batteries. I needed a battery for my boat so I 'borrowed" one out of the rv. I've never but it back because one does all that is needed.
I had mine down to 50% before and was surpized by this. I try to keep an eye on it so I dont shorten the life. I will stick with two batteries.... I like the reserve compacity.

But every RV'er is different. Some will use more power than others and not even realize it. Some can do without for much longer.