Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Watching Netflix / Amazon without Wifi

We usually have at least 1 family movie night when it dares to rain on our vacations…the nerve!. My kids are in the habit of downloading Movies and TV’s shows from Netflix and Amazon Prime onto their devises to watch offline while we are traveling. (Also at home, since I got rid of cable several years ago) I wanted to take it a step further so we could watch them on the coach TV. Movie night consists of piling in the back with all the pillows and popcorn . Now if someone could just suggest a mod for agreeing upon a movie

I thought I would share the process in case anyone is interested.

What you need:
1. Smart phone or tablet. I use my I phone 6.

2. Subscription to Netflix or Amazon Prime with the installed apps

3. An Apple lightning digital AV adapter, I used Apple since I have an Iphone , I assume there are similar connectors for other brand smart phones /tablets, perhaps others can comment on this.

4. HDMI cable

5. HDMI connection on TV (I can only speak for Axis 2017 24.1 model, but I would guess earlier models as well as other models have it too.

How to do it:
1. Follow instructions for downloading and retrieving Movies/TV shows on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

2. Connect the HDMI to the back of the TV, a bit of a challenge, as it is a tight space . Once in place I just leave the cable rolled up behind the TV when not in use.

3. Connect the HDMI into the AV adapter

4. Connect your phone to the AV adapter

5. Turn on the TV

6. Access the Netflix or Amazon app retrieve and play your show from your library (amazon) or my downloads (Netflix).

7. If nothing is showing on the TV screen, use your remote to change the input to HDMI. In our case there is more than then 1 HDMI input so if you have started playing the movie it will show on the screen when you select the right HDMI input. Sit back and enjoy the show!

8. Bonus: The Apple AV adapter also has another input to charge your phone

9. Note: because of the compression the quality will not be DVD or HD quality.

The movie was playing on the screen prior to disconnecting my phone to take the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdmi av adapter .jpg
Views:	219
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4326  

Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I have an Android and the Netflix app lets you download most videos for watching when WIFI isn't available also.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #3

THOR #6375
Are you feeding it directly from phone into TV with HDMI port?
On 17 Gemini no access to port on tv that I can find.
Thanks for info
Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

THOR #4184
Yes there is an HDMI input on the back of our TV. I plugged it in there and on the other end I plugged in the Lightning digital AV connector then connected it to the phone. However it was not easy to get to because the way the TV was attached to the wall. I would check your TV manual and see if it has an HDMI port and where it's located. It seems to me that most new TVs would come with an HDMI port. What brand of TV do you have? Ours is a Seiki and came with the coach.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 36.3
State: Texas
THOR #6728
Good idea!

Good topic!

I use a miracast device plugged in to the TV allowing my Android phone or tablet to wirelessly transmit to the TV.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...er-2/p3q-00001

This is the Microsoft one but there are others out there.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This topic can be covered from the very simple (connect phone/tablet to TV) to the very extensive (install PC for just the RV) and anything in-between.

You can also use an XBox One or a PlayStation 4. The possibilities are endless.

So far we've done a couple of things: Use my son's PlayStation 4, and connect up an Android TV box with a USB thumbdrive attached containing a bunch of movies. I think I've also piped my Laptop's video to the RV's TV.

What I'd really like to do is replace the in-dash radio with a simple monitor controlled by a small PC (like one of Intel's NUC units) with some extra video outs for the RV's TV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #7

THOR #4184
Wow Jamie the in dash controller unit sounds great! Now if we could just get our coaches to be self driving... RV travel would be sweet!!!

Over the winter, My husband brought his new audio equipment and is planning to start the install this weekend. He already removed the drivers side cup holder box, much to my supreme annoyance when I was driving during last weeks spring break trip. I think we might need the equivalent of Click & Clack for RV relationship counseling . Anyone remember "Cartalk" Lol. I'll let you know how the install goes.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
For anyone that has an Amazon Firestick it is an easy answer. It is called "Mirroring Display". Simply plug in the Amazon Firestick on the HDMI port, scroll down to settings, select "Mirror Display". On your Android device, go to Settings, Sharing, MiraCast. Anything that is on the on the Android is on the screen now. If you have a Mac IOS device, there are apps that do the same basic operation.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 AM   #9

THOR #4184
Thanks I'll check that out!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #10

THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
For anyone that has an Amazon Firestick it is an easy answer. It is called "Mirroring Display". Simply plug in the Amazon Firestick on the HDMI port, scroll down to settings, select "Mirror Display". On your Android device, go to Settings, Sharing, MiraCast. Anything that is on the on the Android is on the screen now. If you have a Mac IOS device, there are apps that do the same basic operation.

So I assume in this case the mirror would communicate through Bluetooth since if there is no wifi?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
When doing all this are you using up data on the phone?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:43 AM   #12

THOR #4184
I am by no means an expert, but after doing some checking, I concluded that for iOS / Apple devices ,that for me ,the cheapest and easiest way to go is using the AV adapter and HDMI cable.

You can mirror using Apple TV and airplay. I don't have AppleTV so that would be more expensive than the adapter .

There seems to be more options for mirroring in the android world .

That's my 2 cents
Old 03-28-2017, 03:52 AM   #13

THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
When doing all this are you using up data on the phone?

As long as you download your movies when you have access to wifi and are not streaming video you shouldn't be using data
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Hdmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevansx View Post
Are you feeding it directly from phone into TV with HDMI port?
On 17 Gemini no access to port on tv that I can find.
Thanks for info
Hi, on my Gemini in the cupboard above the fridge there is a HDMI splitter for the inputs to all 3 TVs. You could access the HDMI "in" there easier than using ports on either of the 2 inside TVs. The exterior TV mount swivels so for outdoor viewing you could access that single TV HDMI port directly. Nancy
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We use an old Apple TV (2nd Gen I think) connected to a TV HDMI port. Tricky part is setting up local network to get your iPhone, iPad, Mac to communicate with the Apple TV. I had a small network controller (can't remember the brand) that I use for business travel in hotels to set up my own wireless network (gets around hotels that charge for internet by the device or limit the number of devices and also keeps your devices from seeing bad stuff from the hotel network). It acts as a router so the Apple TV and other devices see each other.

If you can afford the data charges you can use in iPhone for Netflix, etc. However this also alllows you to download videos to a Mac and play them back over AirPlay from the Mac or IOS devices with enough storage.I load up an external drive with ripped DVD's (fair use - I bought them I get to use them) and use my MacBook Pro as the entertainment center. I use RipIt as it gets around most DVD security issues. Ripping Blu-Rays is a whole different subject.

Those who are in the Windows/Android world can't use this but can use some of the other devices listed in other's posts.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 AM   #16

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
My entertainment objective...

...while recently traveling during hockey season, was to stream my local games live from my home TV (using Slingbox) to my RV (Gemini 23TR).
My RV set up currently includes: a Unite Explore hotspot; a cellular data plan; a windows laptop with an HDMI port, and a HDMI cable long enough to reach my HDMI splitter above my fridge.
Over a 3 week period (7 games), while camped in mostly good reception campgrounds, I watched these online, on my RV TV, just like I would at home (all but one game where I was reduced to listening to it via the campground Wi-Fi and an internet sports channel;-). I used up 7 GB (about $12/GB through Roam Mobility) of data while trying to stream on low def --so to maximize my viewing time vs picture quality.
Based on comments here I need to check out the miracast device. I was also thinking to add a MiFi antenna.
The local team is not play off bound so these additions can wait till the 2017-2018 season;-) Nancy
Old 03-29-2017, 12:41 AM   #17

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Without WiFi

Without WiFi are the key words here. I have seen signs at several RV parks that have WiFi plead with people not to stream movies because it slows down everyone's signal for those needing basic email, etc.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well for movies you could always rip them (like DenverTransplant mentioned) or you could use a tool to remove DRM from iTunes downloads (Like NoteBurner).
Once you have a video file its easy to copy to a mobile device (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.) or a thumbdrive to play on a Roku, Android TV, etc.

As I said earlier: The options for playing back content are almost endless (weather or not you want to use WiFi or Cellular Data).

Speaking of cellular: I've used my phone as a hotspot and watched MLB games before as well.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #19

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We use an old Apple TV (2nd Gen I think) connected to a TV HDMI port. Tricky part is setting up local network to get your iPhone, iPad, Mac to communicate with the Apple TV. I had a small network controller (can't remember the brand) that I use for business travel in hotels to set up my own wireless network (gets around hotels that charge for internet by the device or limit the number of devices and also keeps your devices from seeing bad stuff from the hotel network). It acts as a router so the Apple TV and other devices see each other.
I've been an Apple TV user since the 1st generation, and I have all of my content in iTunes (movies, music, TV shows, etc). I plan on getting an Apple TV setup going in my Vegas before my next trip. I picked up an older Mac Mini to act as the media server, and I basically duplicate my iTunes library from my home machine onto a 3TB external hard drive hooked up to the Mini. A cheap wifi hub and some 3rd-generation Apple TVs for the other two TVs will give me access to my whole media library on all three TVs. Including the Mac Mini, external drive, wifi router, and two Apple TVs, the whole setup goes for about $550 total. You might have better or worse luck depending on eBay

Even if you don't go whole-hog on the setup, a 3rd generation Apple TV (the small black one) might be a good idea for you if you're an iPad or iPhone user. With wifi set up, you can AirPlay from your device to the Apple TV without hassling with cables. You can get Apple TVs on eBay these days for under $50.

On Android, ChromeCast is a great option, but again you'll need wifi.

If folks are interested I'll put together a step-by-step when I install everything.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdrabik
I've been an Apple TV user since the 1st generation, and I have all of my content in iTunes (movies, music, TV shows, etc). I plan on getting an Apple TV setup going in my Vegas before my next trip. I picked up an older Mac Mini to act as the media server, and I basically duplicate my iTunes library from my home machine onto a 3TB external hard drive hooked up to the Mini. A cheap wifi hub and some 3rd-generation Apple TVs for the other two TVs will give me access to my whole media library on all three TVs. Including the Mac Mini, external drive, wifi router, and two Apple TVs, the whole setup goes for about $550 total. You might have better or worse luck depending on eBay

Even if you don't go whole-hog on the setup, a 3rd generation Apple TV (the small black one) might be a good idea for you if you're an iPad or iPhone user. With wifi set up, you can AirPlay from your device to the Apple TV without hassling with cables. You can get Apple TVs on eBay these days for under $50.

On Android, ChromeCast is a great option, but again you'll need wifi.

If folks are interested I'll put together a step-by-step when I install everything.
Note you can do all the same thing using a NUC or other small Windows PC as well (since Apple makes a Windows version of iTunes).
Here is an Intel NUC
There are a bunch of small barebones Windows PCs available for such a purpose.
(I'd probably go with one of these as I prefer the Windows environment over Apple's--I do have an older Mac Mini at home and it is a fine PC so I'm not completely biased LOL)