Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29J
State: Ohio
THOR #14661
Question Outlaw C class toy hauler: Ground clearance ?

Hello & Howdy !
We have a 2018 THOR Outlaw 29J C class toy hauler. Problem is lack of ground clearance with the levelers .
For instance; having two full sized dirt bikes and a mini dirt bike , along with tool boxes, gas cans, folding tables, ice cooler, gear bags, etc. in the garage area. Plus pulling an open trailer with a Polaris RZR.
I have approx. 6" of clearance unloaded and approx. 4" when loaded between the levelers in the back and the ground. According to our dealer there are no kind of airbag systems for our RV because THOR uses some type of bracket to attach the coach to the rear and these are in the way.
Being this is a THOR forum I figured I'm not the only one who has ran into this situation. I did a search and did not find anything but I swear I read about this problem a couple of years ago.
Anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks !

BP

Old 06-03-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
I'm about to put helper springs by www.SuperSprings.com. They're going to help with the sway from passing vehicles in addition giving me 1 1/2 - 2 inches in lift.

I assume your rig is based on the F-350 or F-450 chassis?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:27 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You're probably WAY over your GVWR...
Old 06-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You're probably WAY over your GVWR...
Or at least the RAWR.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:44 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Having owned a 2018 29H: I'm betting both!
Old 06-04-2021, 12:50 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I had a 2018 29H and it did ride low. With my Can-Am Spyder in the garage I was over the GVWR (Bob can tell you a similar story).

I ended up removing the pipe that ran from the black tank on the passenger side under the driveshaft over to the grey tank side because I was worried it would get torn off at some point.

I installed Sumo Springs all the way around and that helped a little. Unfortunately any Class C on an E-Series chassis that is 25' or longer is pushing the limits of the stock suspension and the stock tires.

I would be upgrading the tires to a commercial rated tire and get ride of the LT tires and then add some spring to it. I would alsi consider Hellwig Sway Bars as well (they made a big difference with the handling).

Old 06-04-2021, 12:52 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
that is the coolest, funky song EVER!
Old 06-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

THOR #14661
Wayne, Yes it is a Ford E450 chassis and I am looking into the helper springs.

Judge, I was hoping for the Sumo springs but our RV dealer said THOR uses some type of brackets to attach the rear of the coach and these brackets are in the way and there is no where to attach the Sumo springs ? Did you install the Sumo springs yourself or have someone do it ? We have no problems with handling at this time, it's the best handling/driving rig we have owned. I was already going to upgrade to real truck tires as soon as these stock ones get any where close to replacement time. I've read going up a size safely can get a little more lift as well.

Thanks everyone for your experience and suggestions and if you or anyone else can think of anything else I would greatly appreciate it !

Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, and GOD Bless !!!

BP
Old 06-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #9

THOR #14661
Question

Judge, Can you elaborate on you adding the Sumo springs ? Thanks !

BP
Old 06-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP219 View Post
Judge, Can you elaborate on you adding the Sumo springs ? Thanks !

BP

Hey BP....

So Sumo Springs replace the factory bump stops and have several advantages. The bump stops typically have a large gap between the rubber stop and the axle housing. When hitting a bump it prevents metal on metal contact and tries to soften the blow.

Sumo Springs are like bump stops on steroids and almost like and airless air bag. When used with the included spacer, they will actually help support some of the load on the suspension so it does not sink quite as much. They also provide some cushioning to soften the ride and help stabilize the sideo-to-side motion you can get in a tall and long motorhome (Hellwig Sway bars are also a nice addition with the Sumo Springs to help with handling improvements).

You can get them for the fronts or the back and they come in different weight classes. They are something you can install yourself without too much difficulty. Here is an example of the rear Sumo's for the E-450...

https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/ssr-130-54/

When I had my Outlaw 29H, I was not happy with the handling or ride quality. When they put a motorhome 25" or longer on an E-Series chassis, it is just pushing the limits of the stock suspension. I added front and rear Sumo Springs, front and rear Hellwig sway bars and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Those changes made my Outlaw go from handling and riding like a dump truck to more like a pickup truck.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Sprinter came equipped with them, and I am really happy with the handling!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #12

Model: Thor class c outlaw
THOR #18162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP219 View Post
Hello & Howdy !
We have a 2018 THOR Outlaw 29J C class toy hauler. Problem is lack of ground clearance with the levelers .
For instance; having two full sized dirt bikes and a mini dirt bike , along with tool boxes, gas cans, folding tables, ice cooler, gear bags, etc. in the garage area. Plus pulling an open trailer with a Polaris RZR.
I have approx. 6" of clearance unloaded and approx. 4" when loaded between the levelers in the back and the ground. According to our dealer there are no kind of airbag systems for our RV because THOR uses some type of bracket to attach the coach to the rear and these are in the way.
Being this is a THOR forum I figured I'm not the only one who has ran into this situation. I did a search and did not find anything but I swear I read about this problem a couple of years ago.

BP
I have a 29 J outlaw also. I found the the rear jacks were too low. I raised mine two holes up in the rear that provides way more ground clearance.
The fronts are ok and can’t be moved up.

Also on Handling I put sway bars on my 2020 but one of the biggest differences came when getting the front end aligned. Apparently they do not come from the factory aligned. Other great ideas from the other posters as well.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #13

State: Illinois
THOR #22705
I have a Thor 29J and I am considering a 4" lift kit for mine. It's very pricy, but a quality kit that makes a large improvement.
https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/c...on-lift-kit-2/
Old 06-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inthefamily View Post
I have a Thor 29J and I am considering a 4" lift kit for mine. It's very pricy, but a quality kit that makes a large improvement.
https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/c...on-lift-kit-2/
I'm NOT sayin' to not do it: but there are lots of things to keep in mind...
a suspension lift really only raises everything above the axles. You'll need to get bigger tires. A set that is 4" taller will give you almost 2" more ground clearance.
But it also changes your overall gearing by quite a bit. You might have to change the gearset in the differential. With the computers allow you to do that without some sort of programming change?
You'll also be approaching almost 11' 10" in overall height... don't forget about that!
I learned a long time ago that when you change something: you really get the snowball rolling downhill... fast!
But good luck, and let us know how it all comes out!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #15

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Before you do anything, get your rig weighed. I have a 29 h and the 1500lbs tag in the garage is bs. It’s 1500 without everything , no cabinets,beds, sofas etc.
I carry a small tool box, spare and a full dresser at 920 lbs. I am over weight according to fords RAWR, but not max tire weight.

Added sumo springs and feel I’m fine.

With all you listed I think the LT tires are going to be your weak link.

As for ground clearance, there was a member on here that installed a lift kit a while back. He seems happy with it . And some members raised the rear jacks, but that limits leveling.

If you are boondocking a lot then a lift kit and good larger commercial tires (5 star tuning to correct tire size) is your answer..
Old 06-17-2021, 03:23 AM   #16

THOR #12972
I have the same coach and had the same issues. I raised the rear jacks up as someone else stated and had a add a leaf spring installed. without them the ride was horrible. I carry to Harley's in mine and it would jar you going over the smallest bump. Add a leaf's solved the problem.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #17

State: Illinois
THOR #22705
Here is what I have found out along the way as I have been redoing the suspension on my Thor 29 J E450 Class C toyhauler. Do your own research, but here are the part numbers I have found, and the work I have had done. Half loaded and full of fuel (all other tanks empty) my Class C weights 4600lbs (front axle) and 9320lbs rear axle. 13,940lbs total with a 14,500 GVWR.
Ford states that the Econolines are designed to have 26" between the ground and the top of the frame in both the front and rear. My RV started 22.5"F and 23"R. So significantly lower than where Ford expects the ride height to be.

Rear Suspension
1. RV comes with leaf pack part #43-1791 with 5100lb load rating per spring.
2. First, I installed Sumo Springs part #SSR-130-47 in the rear that provide 1500LBs of support at 50% compression. I also installed Koni FSD shocks all around at this point. With just the rear Sumo Springs/Konis the ride has been improved, but parked the Sumosprings are about 1/8th compressed. (According to SumoSprings their should be a small gap between the axle and the sumo spring while parked) So, I was looking for more lift.
3. After some research and stopping by a local local spring and commercial truck service center to talk with their techs I learned the following. Rear leaf pack part #43-1791 HD is a heavy duty spring pack rated at 7200lbs per spring. Apparently, this spring size is a very common upgrade for Ambulances and Class C RVs. (I have these on order now)

Front Suspension:
1. The front coils on my E-450 are part # 9C245310XA. I have been told that these are the same HD springs that come on E-150, E-250, E-350, and E-450s.
2. A common upgrade for E-250/E-350 Econoline van owners are Moog front springs Part # CC880S. These are progressive springs compared to the linear springs that came on my E-450. Research found that these raise the front of 5.4L E-350s about 2.5", and the front of 7.3 diesel E-350s about 1.5". So I felt comfortable trying these on my E-450 with the 6.8L and bunkover cab. They raised my ride height 7/8", and have been a massive improvement to the ride our RV. There is a nice 3/8" gap now between the sumo spring and the front I beam.
3. Other front suspension changes I have made. SumoSprings SSF-106-40 which are lighter weight that what Sumo recommends for the E-450. They are rated at 500lbs at 50% compression. Koni front shocks.

Overall my Class C is better in every way compared to stock. 5 minutes into our first ride my wife and kids all commented about how quiet the RV got and how less impactful the bumps felt.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:43 PM   #18

State: Arkansas
THOR #20711
I have a 2019/20 Class C 29J also. I installed Firestone ride rite air bags on mine. Very hard to do but it can be done. When I inflate them to 80lbs they do raise the rear a couple of inches. I also raised the rear levelers, can't raise fronts. Installed Helwig sway bars front and rear.

I would like to upgrade the shocks but can't figure out how to get to the top mount on the rear passenger side, theres a heat shield that blocks access.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #19

State: Arkansas
THOR #20711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inthefamily View Post
Here is what I have found out along the way as I have been redoing the suspension on my Thor 29 J E450 Class C toyhauler. Do your own research, but here are the part numbers I have found, and the work I have had done. Half loaded and full of fuel (all other tanks empty) my Class C weights 4600lbs (front axle) and 9320lbs rear axle. 13,940lbs total with a 14,500 GVWR.
Ford states that the Econolines are designed to have 26" between the ground and the top of the frame in both the front and rear. My RV started 22.5"F and 23"R. So significantly lower than where Ford expects the ride height to be.

Rear Suspension
1. RV comes with leaf pack part #43-1791 with 5100lb load rating per spring.
2. First, I installed Sumo Springs part #SSR-130-47 in the rear that provide 1500LBs of support at 50% compression. I also installed Koni FSD shocks all around at this point. With just the rear Sumo Springs/Konis the ride has been improved, but parked the Sumosprings are about 1/8th compressed. (According to SumoSprings their should be a small gap between the axle and the sumo spring while parked) So, I was looking for more lift.
3. After some research and stopping by a local local spring and commercial truck service center to talk with their techs I learned the following. Rear leaf pack part #43-1791 HD is a heavy duty spring pack rated at 7200lbs per spring. Apparently, this spring size is a very common upgrade for Ambulances and Class C RVs. (I have these on order now)

Front Suspension:
1. The front coils on my E-450 are part # 9C245310XA. I have been told that these are the same HD springs that come on E-150, E-250, E-350, and E-450s.
2. A common upgrade for E-250/E-350 Econoline van owners are Moog front springs Part # CC880S. These are progressive springs compared to the linear springs that came on my E-450. Research found that these raise the front of 5.4L E-350s about 2.5", and the front of 7.3 diesel E-350s about 1.5". So I felt comfortable trying these on my E-450 with the 6.8L and bunkover cab. They raised my ride height 7/8", and have been a massive improvement to the ride our RV. There is a nice 3/8" gap now between the sumo spring and the front I beam.
3. Other front suspension changes I have made. SumoSprings SSF-106-40 which are lighter weight that what Sumo recommends for the E-450. They are rated at 500lbs at 50% compression. Koni front shocks.

Overall my Class C is better in every way compared to stock. 5 minutes into our first ride my wife and kids all commented about how quiet the RV got and how less impactful the bumps felt.
I wish I had seen your post before I installed the firestones. I think beefing up the leafs and front springs would be a better option.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:42 AM   #20

THOR #25927
[QUOTE=BP219;296577]Hello & Howdy !

I purchased a 2022 Thor Outlaw 29j & could not drive it up a regular driveway because the hitch scraped the cement & the rear hydraulic leveler stopped it completely. The RV is not loaded with any toys and was not even filled with fresh water just drove straight home, from the dealerships lot. I parked on the street for 2 1/2 months waiting for my appointment at Weldtec Designs for my suspension upgrade. Now it more than clears the driveway with no problem! It has beefier suspension & so it's a much smoother ride, than that "more ride" set up it came with, no bueno.