Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2022, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #26560
What is the maximum weight allowance on a Slide OUT while moving the slide?

-> Summary: I just want to know what then maximum weight allowance is for the Thor Four Winds 28Z slide-out in motion (dynamic) while sliding-out or -in.

-> In Detail: Please let me know if anyone has solid knowlage about the maximum / safe wheigt to be put into a slide out (in this case a bigger sofa)!
I would like to find out if we can safely take the dinette out of the slide-out and put an electric recliner sofa with app. 220lbs into the slide-out.

And I am not so concerned with the slide being NOT in motion - we only use the rv with 2 people (320lbs total body weight for us two).

BUT: Is the slide-out mechanic strong enough to slide in and out with the weight change from the dinette to the sofa - i guess an extra weight of app. 170 pounds?

I did not find any weight allowances in the thor 4 winds 28z (year 2017) manual. And I did NOT get any substancial feedback from Thor.

Best regards,
Peter Last

Old 04-18-2022, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
No issue with that weight increase. The same system is used on slideouts in all sizes with the only difference is; on full wall slides they use 3 tracks instead of two; and the number of rollers below the slide.

Even if someone had a real number, like 2000 lbs; you don't know what your slideout currently weighs so that max number doesn't do you any good.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by okin4 View Post
-> Summary: I just want to know what then maximum weight allowance is for the Thor Four Winds 28Z slide-out in motion (dynamic) while sliding-out or -in.

-> In Detail: Please let me know if anyone has solid knowlage about the maximum / safe wheigt to be put into a slide out (in this case a bigger sofa)!
I would like to find out if we can safely take the dinette out of the slide-out and put an electric recliner sofa with app. 220lbs into the slide-out.

And I am not so concerned with the slide being NOT in motion - we only use the rv with 2 people (320lbs total body weight for us two).

BUT: Is the slide-out mechanic strong enough to slide in and out with the weight change from the dinette to the sofa - i guess an extra weight of app. 170 pounds?

I did not find any weight allowances in the thor 4 winds 28z (year 2017) manual. And I did NOT get any substancial feedback from Thor.

Best regards,
Peter Last
Call and ask Thor
Old 04-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I would call the slide system manufacturer, Lippert.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
You will likely not get a good answer from LCI. There are too many variables such as.....

- length of slide
- extended length
- number of rollers
- current weight of items installed in the slide
- slide construction components

Thor may or may not give you an answer because they will say it was designed to hold the items they installed.

That being said.... I think you are safe. I had an Outlaw 29H with a similar size slide and similar configuration except instead of the dinette we had a jack-knife sofa. I replaced the sofa with RecPro theater seating, which was probably 150 - 200lbs heavier.

Most importantly... make sure your slide mechanism is in good working order. The Schwintek slide mechanism is fine for small ad lighter slides but it is a poorly designed system for larger and heavier slides like a full wall slide.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #6

THOR #26560
Doesn't the slide manufacturer has to give a max weight allowance the RV manufacturer

-> Doesn't the slide manufacturer has to give a max weight allowance the RV manufacturer?

-> How would Thor know what is safe to put into the slide? How can Thor give any warranty if it does not know what is safe?

That were my thoughts as I contacted Thor and asked for it. They did not give any substantial reply (tried twice!).

So, what do you think? Who is that manufacturer of the slide - shouldn't they know if I tell them the Manufacturer and model of RV?

Thank you,
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You will likely not get a good answer from LCI. There are too many variables such as.....

- length of slide
- extended length
- number of rollers

Thor may or may not give you an answer because they will say it was designed to hold the items they installed.

That being said.... I think you are safe. I had an Outlaw 29H with a similar size slide and similar configuration except instead of the dinette we had a jack-knife sofa. I replaced the sofa with RecPro theater seating, which was probably 150 - 200lbs heavier.

Most importantly... make sure your slide mechanism is in good working order. The Schwintek slide mechanism is fine for small ad lighter slides but it is a poorly designed system for larger and heavier slides like a full wall slide.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #7
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
The slide on that unit (same as mine) is not deep at all, maybe 18 inches. That said, I don't believe you will have any weight issues. Just keep the tracks clean and gears lubed.

Like your idea though. I would love to get rid of the dinette and install a wrap around couch . Anything but a dinette. Wife against it though.
We just replaced the Euro-chairs (which replaced the original jack knife sofa) with the RecPro Charles 58" Double RV Wall Hugger Recliner Sofa RV Loveseat. Very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220305_143534394_HDR.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	37020  
Old 04-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by okin4 View Post
-> Doesn't the slide manufacturer has to give a max weight allowance the RV manufacturer?

-> How would Thor know what is safe to put into the slide? How can Thor give any warranty if it does not know what is safe?

That were my thoughts as I contacted Thor and asked for it. They did not give any substantial reply (tried twice!).

So, what do you think? Who is that manufacturer of the slide - shouldn't they know if I tell them the Manufacturer and model of RV?

Thank you,
Peter
The slide mechanism is Schwintek made by LCI (Lippert Components) but the physical slide box is custom made by each manufacturer based on each model they make.

My response was what it was because while LCI may be able to say how much weight an H-Column (part of the slide mechanism) may be able to support and how much weight a 300:1 or 500:1 motor may be able to move, they don't know how many rollers are in place or the construction materials used by the manufacturer of the slide box. For liability purposes they will likely be reluctant to give you an answer.

All I can tell you is this..... the Schwintek Slide mechanism is ok for small and lighter slides but it is a horrible design for large and heavy slides. I have a full wall slide in my Magnitude and had the Schwintek Mechanism replaced with the Vroom Slide Mechanism.

Your slide is considered relatively small and light and I had a similar sized slide in a prior coach so I believe an extra 170lbs would be ok.

All of that is just my opinion..... your mileage may vary.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #9

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Your coach slides are engineered to move the slide weight in and out, based on the specs of your coach. Any additional weight added above spec weight is user be ware.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
The slide mechanism is Schwintek made by LCI (Lippert Components) but the physical slide box is custom made by each manufacturer based on each model they make.
Exactly! And Thor gives no thought to the "GVWR" on the completed slide assembly.

We have a full wall slide using the two rail Schwintek system with the 300:1 motors. This slide contains and moves the entire kitchen and master bed. It also has cupboards above and below the counter in the kitchen, a slide out pantry, storage below the bed that moves and cabinets above the bed and a nightstand that you can pack to your hearts delight. I would say 85% of storage space in this RV is in the slide so you could probably pack all of the GCWR in it.

The OP's slide uses the same mechanism so I don't think he'll have an issue with an additional 170 Lbs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:53 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #11419
I told every one off the slides and check anything block the slide. while the slides move in and out keep an eyes on the slide like a hawk. is it in sync moving... if not stop and investigate. a little rag, a roll paper towel will screw up... been there done that
Old 04-23-2022, 08:36 PM   #12

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
I agree with 16ace27, we did the same modification that you are asking about without any problems.
We have a four wind 24 ft that we put a loveseat in. I would suggest getting a wall hugger.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:35 AM   #13

THOR #26560
No relevant reply from Thor

I asked Thor two times separately: No substantial reply from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Call and ask Thor
Old 04-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #14

THOR #26560
So you have put more weight in with NO problems

Hence, I understand that you have put more weight in with NO problems so far.
I guess this is the best TEST for such a situation.
So, most likely we will just put the extra 160lbs (heavy FLEXSTEEL 68" recliner, a home-furniture, not made for RV!) onto the slide and listen very carefully as the slide moves ...
Wish us good luck!
Thank you so much for your input!
Peter & Christina

Quote:

- length of slide
- extended length
- number of rollers