Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
THOR #14202
Wheel ramps vs levelling jacks

I’m using wheel ramps rather than levelling jacks for my Thor Vegas 24.1.
On my current site I’m only using one ramp under the front driver’s side wheel. That’s all that’s required to get the motorhome level.
Will this cause excessive tortional force on the rig or cause problems with the front spring and shock on that side?
Anyone have expertise in this area?

Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I dont think you would have any problems.

I have had one rear wheel on the ground, 3 lego blocks under the other side and 6 block high on the two front tires before without a problem.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It might matter if the practice is taken to extremes...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1547497042
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 02.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	15097  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:31 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJeff View Post
I’m using wheel ramps rather than levelling jacks for my Thor Vegas 24.1.

On my current site I’m only using one ramp under the front driver’s side wheel. That’s all that’s required to get the motorhome level.

Will this cause excessive tortional force on the rig or cause problems with the front spring and shock on that side?

Anyone have expertise in this area?

If it’s level with the one block there shouldn’t be any twist on the frame. And without it there would be some twist but obviously the world is full of unevenness of that amount or more that our machines encounter as we drive. Doesn’t seem to hurt them!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
I’m using wheel ramps rather than levelling jacks for my Thor Vegas 24.1. On my current site I’m only using one ramp under the front driver’s side wheel. That’s all that’s required to get the motorhome level. Will this cause excessive tortional force on the rig or cause problems with the front spring and shock on that side? Anyone have expertise in this area?

No and maybe. You won't damage the springs or shocks, but you might have a problem with the windshield.

You don't say what year your Vegas is. My Vegas was an early 2016 with the taller windshield, and it cracked when I parked on uneven surface with one (front) wheel higher than the other three. Thor replaced it under warranty. I don't believe anyone on the forum had to replace the windshield more than once, aside from rock damage.

Later 2016s and newer have the shorter windshield and haven't had that problem. I have the HWH kick down levelers, and am pretty careful about parking on uneven places when they aren't deployed.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

THOR #14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I dont think you would have any problems.

I have had one rear wheel on the ground, 3 lego blocks under the other side and 6 block high on the two front tires before without a problem.
Thanks Long & Winding
Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

THOR #14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It might matter if the practice is taken to extremes...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1547497042
Thanks Bob. Love the cartoon. Lol
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #8

THOR #14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If it’s level with the one block there shouldn’t be any twist on the frame. And without it there would be some twist but obviously the world is full of unevenness of that amount or more that our machines encounter as we drive. Doesn’t seem to hurt them!
Thanks Pete
Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 22E
State: Kansas
THOR #5348
Quote:
I’m using wheel ramps rather than levelling jacks
Can I ask what type of ramps you are using? Have you used any other types? Pros and cons? I've just been using wood but the cons outweigh the pros.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:31 AM   #10

THOR #14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
No and maybe. You won't damage the springs or shocks, but you might have a problem with the windshield.

You don't say what year your Vegas is. My Vegas was an early 2016 with the taller windshield, and it cracked when I parked on uneven surface with one (front) wheel higher than the other three. Thor replaced it under warranty. I don't believe anyone on the forum had to replace the windshield more than once, aside from rock damage.

Later 2016s and newer have the shorter windshield and haven't had that problem. I have the HWH kick down levelers, and am pretty careful about parking on uneven places when they aren't deployed.
Thanks Mr. Sunshine. My Vegas is a 2017 so I guess I’m ok as far as the windshield goes. I’ll look into the levellers you mentioned.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 AM   #11

THOR #14202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimeflyfishing View Post
Can I ask what type of ramps you are using? Have you used any other types? Pros and cons? I've just been using wood but the cons outweigh the pros.
They’re the heavy duty black plastic type you can get at places like Harbor Freight or even Walmart. They give you about 6 inches of lift and they make setting up very easy. You just drive up the ramps. You might have to stagger one side in relation to the other so it can take some trial and error.
I’m at an RV park on the gravel and the grade isn’t real extreme. I just use them on the front wheels. I don’t trust a ramp that doesn’t fully support the dualies.