Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2021, 05:33 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
I own a 2019 Thor 22E, with solar ready : So I understand the wires from solar on roof down to controler are 10 gauge. Last August, I installed a 160 W panel to the 10 amp controller: all working well! My question is : can I add a 30 amp controller and a second panel (about 160 W) with the same internal wires ? It would total 320 Watts to a 30 amp controller : seems ok from my calculations. But would the wires be ok ? (the ones from the roof to the controller) Is this "up to code ?" or safe even a safe setup ?
You saw what Judge did above
He laid out two 160 watt flex panels + 30 amp controller.
He says it worked fine

My hunch is that you are not actually getting 320 watts of solar charge 100% of the time. Probably much less than that most of the time.
Thus, 10 gauge wire works without an issue

Personally...I have two 100 watt solid panels + 30 amp controller with 10 gauge wire.
I’ve got fuses installed but have never had any problems in sunny Southern California.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
He says it worked fine

My hunch is that you are not actually getting 320 watts of solar charge 100% of the time. Probably much less than that most of the time.

Personally...I have two 100 watt solid panels + 30 amp controller with 10 gauge wire.
I’ve got fuses installed but have never had any problems in sunny Southern California.
This explanation/picture I found gave me some info to work with ...

Old 01-23-2021, 10:35 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Where do the solar wires terminate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
He says it worked fine

You are correct!

Having two 160W panels with a 30A Controller and the 10 gauge wire is not an issue for the following reasons:

- Solar Panels are not 100% efficient
- Solar Panels loose power generating capability over time
- Having the panels flat on the roof and not tilting them towards the sun means you will only get max power generation for a short time in the best conditions
- Unless you are cleaning the panels regularly, you will be losing some performance

If you still had concerns and were using an MPPT Controller, you could wire the panels in series for a higher voltage and lower current draw. The disadvantage is if one panels performance drops, it will take down the overall performace of rhe system.
Old 02-19-2023, 10:26 PM   #24

THOR #15335
Does anybody know were the orange wire is on a Four winds Sprinter 24 hl 2018?
Old 02-19-2023, 10:29 PM   #25

THOR #15335
What is the best way to attach solar panels on a TPO roof? I'm not comfortable with putting screws in 1/8 plywood roof and was thinking of taping flexible panels but I'm concerned with the heat of the panel damaging the TPO.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:53 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladouce View Post
What is the best way to attach solar panels on a TPO roof? I'm not comfortable with putting screws in 1/8 plywood roof and was thinking of taping flexible panels but I'm concerned with the heat of the panel damaging the TPO.
Did you see this thread?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ion-33454.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:13 PM   #27

THOR #15335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No I did not. Thanks it answers a lot of questions on installation on a TPO roof. Now I just have to find the orange wires.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:12 PM   #28

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #14588
Help with the Go-Power Solar controller. 2019 Miramar 35.2. Solar has been working great for several years, but recently and after having to replace my house batteries (went dead/bad), my controller just blinks. Talking with the Go-Power company they said it is most likely the 10 amp fuse. I can't find this fuse. Anny assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:14 PM   #29

Model: Four Winds 23U
THOR #29103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladouce View Post
No I did not. Thanks it answers a lot of questions on installation on a TPO roof. Now I just have to find the orange wires.
Did you ever find the wires that you were looking for? After much searching, I finally found mine in my Four Winds 22. I found them in the electronics compartment, bundled in a wire harness, and traced them to where they terminated through the floor. I pulled them back inside to where I'll make the connection to a controller when I make the installation.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:51 AM   #30

State: British Columbia
THOR #29599
22E solar ready panel install

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
Existing 10 awg wire will not be sufficient for 26 amp load. You can check the calculations here

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html
Hi, I have a 2020 22E that is supposed to be solar ready whatever that entails. Does that mean that wires from the roof are attached to the charging controller already? Or does it mean that the wires from the roof are waiting near the electrical panel waiting to be attached to the electrical controller when the solar panel is installed? I’ve been putting off installing solar because of the uncertainty involved in the 8nstall
Old 06-09-2023, 12:05 PM   #31

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D View Post
Hi, I have a 2020 22E that is supposed to be solar ready whatever that entails. Does that mean that wires from the roof are attached to the charging controller already? Or does it mean that the wires from the roof are waiting near the electrical panel waiting to be attached to the electrical controller when the solar panel is installed? I’ve been putting off installing solar because of the uncertainty involved in the 8nstall
Plug in the solar panels on the roof and see what happens.
If the solar controller does nothing then search for the wires to connect them.
Or look at the solar controller to see what wires are attached.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:57 PM   #32

THOR #29103
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Yikes! No! First, ensure that the wires are connected to a solar controller. Being "Solar ready" doesn't mean it has a controller (mine doesn't); only that the wiring and gland is run in place. If it's anything like mine, the wires just terminate somewhere around the electrical cabinet.
The last thing you want is charged wires shorting out against who-knows-what.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:35 PM   #33

THOR #12119
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmal View Post
Yikes! No! First, ensure that the wires are connected to a solar controller. Being "Solar ready" doesn't mean it has a controller (mine doesn't); only that the wiring and gland is run in place. If it's anything like mine, the wires just terminate somewhere around the electrical cabinet.
The last thing you want is charged wires shorting out against who-knows-what.
The OP wants to know if his Solar controller is wired,
There are TWO ways to find out if the solar controller is wired:
1 plug in solar panels and see what happens
2 look at solar controller and determine what wires are connected to it.
There is no guarantee that Thor wired all the Solar controllers with the solar prep package, I would assume they did.
My RV had the wires but no controller.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #34

THOR #29103
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The OP wants to know if his Solar controller is wired,
There are TWO ways to find out if the solar controller is wired:
1 plug in solar panels and see what happens
2 look at solar controller and determine what wires are connected to it.
There is no guarantee that Thor wired all the Solar controllers with the solar prep package, I would assume they did.
My RV had the wires but no controller.
Understood. But reading the OP's first post, it sounds like his RV doesn't have any solar panels yet. If his unit is anything like my "solar ready" unit, it not only doesn't have the panels installed on the roof, but doesn't have a solar controller either.
Regardless, as a retired fire fighter and fire investigator, I stand by my advice to not charge any electrical wiring without knowing where the other ends of those wires terminate. If he confirms that he has a controller and that there are wires running to it, then I would say to go ahead and plug in the panels. But to do so without confirming that the wires are attached to the controller is, IMPO, bad advice. The end result of doing so may result in a direct short and the "see what happens" outcome may be his RV catching fire.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:40 PM   #35

THOR #12119
Quote:
Understood. But reading the OP's first post, it sounds like his RV doesn't have any solar panels yet. If his unit is anything like my "solar ready" unit, it not only doesn't have the panels installed on the roof, but doesn't have a solar controller either.
Regardless, as a retired fire fighter and fire investigator, I stand by my advice to not charge any electrical wiring without knowing where the other ends of those wires terminate. If he confirms that he has a controller and that there are wires running to it, then I would say to go ahead and plug in the panels. But to do so without confirming that the wires are attached to the controller is, IMPO, bad advice. The end result of doing so may result in a direct short and the "see what happens" outcome may be his RV catching fire.

There is nothing wrong with Good Advice.
But there is also a lot of speculation.
Starting around 2019 (The OP has a 2020 model) solar prep included the controller.
My unit was a 2018 (no controller), and the wires were loose with electrical tape on the ends.
Any pre wiring done by Thor had the wires capped for safety, this includes solar prep, Grey and black water tank heaters.

The OP should maybe consider paying someone to add the panels.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:35 PM   #36

THOR #18418
Works on my Thor Chateau 2019 model 22E

Quote:
Hi Bob, my 2019 Thor Chateau 22E had the "Solar ready"mention when I purchased it (used in June 2020). All I did was exactly what bry899 just mentionned. Just plug in to the roof connectors to see if it works.

Mine came-up instantly and showed charging ever since !

(Since I have a 10 amp controller, a panel is what I could sustain with 10 gage wires.)

Let me know how this goes for you !
Old 06-11-2023, 01:42 AM   #37

State: British Columbia
THOR #29599
22E Solar ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
Hi Bob, my 2019 Thor Chateau 22E had the "Solar ready"mention when I purchased it (used in June 2020). All I did was exactly what bry899 just mentionned. Just plug in to the roof connectors to see if it works.

Mine came-up instantly and showed charging ever since !

(Since I have a 10 amp controller, a panel is what I could sustain with 10 gage wires.)

Let me know how this goes for you !
Thanks for your input on this. You having the same unit as mine is encouraging. My reason for putting in a solar panel is to keep my two 6volt gc batteries charged rather than running the generator. Is your one panel a 100 watt or 200 watt rating? If you have a picture of the install it would be appreciated as well.
Bob
Old 06-11-2023, 02:03 AM   #38

THOR #12119
Quote:
Thanks for your input on this. You having the same unit as mine is encouraging. My reason for putting in a solar panel is to keep my two 6volt gc batteries charged rather than running the generator. Is your one panel a 100 watt or 200 watt rating? If you have a picture of the install it would be appreciated as well.
Bob
I have a 100 watt panel on the roof, It keeps both 12V Coach batteries, and the Chassis battery charged, even through the winter.

To keep the chassis battery charged off the solar I installed a "Trik-l-Start" device.
The Triklstart/AmplStart devices are no longer available.
An alternative is the Xantrex Digital ECHO-Charge or Victron Smart Orion-Tr 12/12 18a.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:03 AM   #39

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Typically, (nothing guaranteed) Thor installs a 10 amp Go Power solar charge controller near the batteries... which means the side of the kitchen cabinet in the entryway on a class C, the battery being under the steps.

The battery is wired to the charge controller, as is the wiring from the roof gland. All that's needed is to install panels on the roof and plug them in.

Even though no panels are installed and no charging is taking place, the controller will display the battery voltage.

If there's a charge controller mounted, I SERIOUSLY doubt it's NOT wired and Thor just left uninsulated wiring behind a cabinet... which would NOT be "solar ready", and likely would violate any RVIA certification - AND would definitely pose a fire hazard.

I'd like to see pics of an original install in such condition...
Old 06-11-2023, 04:16 PM   #40

THOR #18418
My panel is a 160 watt, could not/should not go higher with a 10 amps controller.