Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw
State: Idaho
THOR #8541
Whirpool refrigerator

I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw 37 BG class A Motor Home. This is a "park" model which was not disclosed during the purchase and in which is installed a residential AC only Whirlpool WRT111SFDM fridge. We initially upgraded by adding 2 solar panels and controller and subsequently adding 2 more panels and new controller and 4 new AGM batteries to try and keep enough DC charge in the batteries for the inverter to keep the fridge running all night with me using my VPAP.
That mostly works OK but here in Southern Idaho not a whole lot of campgrounds are full service so it is pretty much "off the grid." And of course we park in the shade when possible to keep the sun off the coach and it is worse if it is cloudy, of course.
So far the only replacement fridge I have found is a Norcold NA10LX which is listed as a 10 cu ft. 2-way fridge that will work in the cutout that is available. What I don't know yet is if there is anything in the slide out wall that would prevent me from installing the 2 vent panels. (Waiting on response from Thor.) AC and DC are available and gas is next to it in the slide out for the stove.
I am and wondering if anyone has done this or has any viable solutions?
Thanks for any pertinent response.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordstok View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw 37 BG class A Motor Home. This is a "park" model which was not disclosed during the purchase and in which is installed a residential AC only Whirlpool WRT111SFDM fridge. We initially upgraded by adding 2 solar panels and controller and subsequently adding 2 more panels and new controller and 4 new AGM batteries to try and keep enough DC charge in the batteries for the inverter to keep the fridge running all night with me using my VPAP.
That mostly works OK but here in Southern Idaho not a whole lot of campgrounds are full service so it is pretty much "off the grid." And of course we park in the shade when possible to keep the sun off the coach and it is worse if it is cloudy, of course.
So far the only replacement fridge I have found is a Norcold NA10LX which is listed as a 10 cu ft. 2-way fridge that will work in the cutout that is available. What I don't know yet is if there is anything in the slide out wall that would prevent me from installing the 2 vent panels. (Waiting on response from Thor.) AC and DC are available and gas is next to it in the slide out for the stove.
I am and wondering if anyone has done this or has any viable solutions?
Thanks for any pertinent response.
Wasn't aware that Thor made a "park model" motorhome. Thor has been installing residential refrigerators in their larger class A model for quite sometime and in some models a 2 or 3 way refrigerator was never an option.

Since the fridge only runs when necessary running it on the inverter shouldn't be a problem. Mine does just fine overnight on 2 batteries.

Good luck on the upgrade if you go that way.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My v10 uses just barely over half a gallon an hour when idling.
Park in the shade if you must.
Run the 3ngine to charge your batteries if there isn't 3nough sun.
Run the dash ac while you're at it.

$1.50 an hour to park in the shade is the cost.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
right, there's no such thing as a 'park model' Class A motorhome - it's engine tells you that. A true 'park model' is an RV, a trailer on a frame, that is typically designed to arrive at it's destination, as more of a permanent structure, for those wanting more of a 'home', and less of the 'rv' style, but still mobile if the need arises - many times including sliding glass doors, but otherwise, it's still an RV.

Residential refrigerators are simply a 120v appliance, versus an RV model, which may be designed to run on propane only, propane or 120v, etc., and some with automatic switching depending on whether you are plugged in, or not. Some even have the 12v option.

Regardless, your residential fridge and inverter is perfectly capable of handling the power needed for the appliance. When you are plugged in, the power simply flows thru the inverter and to the fridge, or for some rigs, it continues to use the House batteries, but the shore power is now also charging the batteries at the same time.
When you are not plugged in, or running the generator, the Inverter then inverts 12v battery power into 120v power, for the fridge, and any other outlets or circuits wired from the Inverter.

Many, many RVrs successfully power their fridges from their inverters 24/7. You just have to have: enough battery storage(number of batteries, total amp hours), and a way to charge the batteries(solar directly to the battery bank, or the generator power).
No propane is ever needed.

So, instead of buying propane, you can either buy more batteries, to expand the storage for your power, especially for the overnight hours if you don't have any solar, or run the generator to make sure the battery bank is kept charged, several hours per day, or more if the need arises.
When you need air conditioning, you'll be running your generator anyway, so that will charge the house batteries at the same time. If you don't run the generator during the overnight hours, that's really the only time that the fridge may have enough hours to help pull down the batteries, along with your cpap, but the fridge, even if it loses power during the early morning hours, won't get 'warm' in a relatively few short hours - it is a larger cooler, of course.

Most of us with residential fridges, inverters, and onboard generator, have a procedure for how we handle the charging of the batteries, to maintain the Inverter power to our coach. We run the generator in the morning when making coffee and charging the batteries after an overnight.
We run the generator in the late morning, early or later afternoons, if it's really hot and need air conditioning, which also charges the batteries, etc.
and then we probably run the generator for a little while at or before dark.

If we have solar, it generally is there to help augment the generator, when it's not running, and when the sun is out. Solar, though, by itself, is probably not going to provide anywhere enough power to simply 'do away' with a generator - unless you have 10kw, which would take up a whole yard, much less only the small amount of roof space you have on the RV, and would be EXTREMELY expensive.

Sure, you can replace your residential fridge with an RV model, which is actually the opposite of what most folks do who want to 'change' fridges, but it's not really as quick and easy as you might think, since now you'll need to run the propane lines, connections, cutoffs, and 12v wiring to the rear of the fridge area, AND, most of all, you'll have to purchase an EXTREMELY expensive RV fridge - just take a look at the prices versus the 'household' type fridge you already have! Crazy!!!

enjoy : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
"park model motorhome": I believe that's called an oxymoron.

Unless the engine/transmission don't work no more.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
"park model motorhome": I believe that's called an oxymoron.

Unless the engine/transmission don't work no more.

Great photo, love it