Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1314
SumoSprings

Has anyone installed Sumo Springs? My 2013 Huricane rides a bit rough and I am considering going with them but wanted to first get some feedback from someone with unbiased firsthand experience.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
well, that leaves me out,... I've installed quite a few, but also have worked with Jerry the owner doing r&d for different coaches... the way to get the most out of them is first,..why??? if you are try'n to smooth out a straight axel f53 chassis.... good luck
Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMowrey View Post
Has anyone installed Sumo Springs? My 2013 Huricane rides a bit rough and I am considering going with them but wanted to first get some feedback from someone with unbiased firsthand experience.

Me too. I’m pretty happy with how my 29 ft class A handles -haven’t even done the CHF. But bad roads can be VERY bruising! I’ve read a lot about Sumo springs improving sway and wallow but not much on ride quality.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #4
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:

I put them on my 2018 Windsport and am glad I did. Found it to be a big improvement in handling.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #5

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
look for my post were they failed under load,
Old 07-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
If you are looking for a smoother ride on moderately rough roads Sumo Springs may not help. Although my wife believes they do help. But if you have genuine back problems as my wife does and experience major pain from the side-whip produced when entering driveways or on uneven streets and from the jarring impact of heavily loaded front springs bottoming out from pot holes, then the right sized Sumo Springs will help immensely.

By installing Sumo Springs and performing the CHF on our Hurricane 29M, we drastically reduced side-whip and improved driving control during heavy cross wind. And the Sumo Springs have drastically reduced the jarring impact of the frame’s hard rubber bumper stops on rough roads and pot holes.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Installed Sumo Springs on the front and do not notice a difference. If I had, I was going to install them on the rear also but don't see the need to spend another $400. So far I've added Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, rear BlueOx Tiger Trak and Sumo Springs to the front and the only noticeable good change is when trucks pass the sway is reduced, otherwise, no other improvement. Granted the Safe-t-plus is supposed to help in the event of a front tire blow out and I hope I never find out if it does. I did install a TPMS so I can hopefully proactively prevent a blow out. Overall, I still feel that driving the coach can be a white knuckle experience but I have come to terms with that and get more confident as I drive. One thing I cannot change is the poor condition of the roads which seem to have a much bigger impact on a motorhome and can also make for a frustrating driving experience.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #8

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Installed Sumo Springs on the front and do not notice a difference. If I had, I was going to install them on the rear also but don't see the need to spend another $400. So far I've added Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, rear BlueOx Tiger Trak and Sumo Springs to the front and the only noticeable good change is when trucks pass the sway is reduced, otherwise, no other improvement. Granted the Safe-t-plus is supposed to help in the event of a front tire blow out and I hope I never find out if it does. I did install a TPMS so I can hopefully proactively prevent a blow out. Overall, I still feel that driving the coach can be a white knuckle experience but I have come to terms with that and get more confident as I drive. One thing I cannot change is the poor condition of the roads which seem to have a much bigger impact on a motorhome and can also make for a frustrating driving experience.

Thanks. That is helpful. I have put steering stabilizers on every coach I’ve owned to help with emergencies. A blowout is far less likely than dropping a front wheel off the road. Happened to me with an oncoming car with an inattentive driver on a narrow road before I installed. It was briefly terrifying. Don’t know if the steering stabilizer will help much but it certainly is worth a try!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Sumo springs add to the coach's spring rate making the ride rougher over small bumps and road imperfections. If your coach is lightly loaded, they will not help with the ride. That said, the make a very great difference in body roll and how the coach reacts to major breaks in the pavement. This is especially evident when the coach is heavily loaded to its max weight. When the coach's springs hit the factory bump stops, it jarring to say the least. Sumo Maxiums replace the bump stops and make the ride much more enjoyable.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #10

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Sumo springs add to the coach's spring rate making the ride rougher over small bumps and road imperfections. If your coach is lightly loaded, they will not help with the ride. That said, the make a very great difference in body roll and how the coach reacts to major breaks in the pavement. This is especially evident when the coach is heavily loaded to its max weight. When the coach's springs hit the factory bump stops, it jarring to say the least. Sumo Maxiums replace the bump stops and make the ride much more enjoyable.

That makes sense...my ride is fine on good to fair pavement but it does bottom out on the bad stuff and “jarring” is kindly put! I’m probably about maxed out on GVWR. Last time I weighed I was very close. One more question: front, rear or both?

Thank you.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I have them on both ends. I put the ones on the front myself, but as the rear tires have to be removed for a correct installation (in my opinion), I let Iron Horse RV do the rear installation. I do not regret installing them or paying someone else to do the rears. Since I have a 18,000 lb chassis, it is quite easy to get to the 12,000 lb max load on the rear axle. Conversely, I think it almost impossible to over load the 7,000 lb front axle and stay within the 18,000 lb limit. I therefore deem the rear Sumo Maxims as the most desirable.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #12

THOR #12329
Quote:
to get the maxim out of sumo's , they need to be tuned to your coach and weight... sumos are progressive,... and if you put them on,.. then load the coach to how you are gonna run the coach,.. the progression will most likely be off, that and there are numerous durometers and bag heigts,..if you still have them on, and could measure the height of the bags 4 wheel down, or did you just change the bumpstops,... if so, they also can be tuned...I've never installed a set that wasn't a betterment across the board...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #13

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
you would have got more out of just doing the rears... and the most out of doing both
Old 07-31-2020, 09:40 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #791
Sumos Springs on Thor F53

Quote:
I have them on both ends. I put the ones on the front myself, but as the rear tires have to be removed for a correct installation (in my opinion), I let Iron Horse RV do the rear installation. I do not regret installing them or paying someone else to do the rears. Since I have a 18,000 lb chassis, it is quite easy to get to the 12,000 lb max load on the rear axle. Conversely, I think it almost impossible to over load the 7,000 lb front axle and stay within the 18,000 lb limit. I therefore deem the rear Sumo Maxims as the most desirable.
I was looking into installing these and almost placed an order. I had questions and sent some pics to their support team. I was told the body supports that Thor welds to their F53 chassis is an installation killer. I have a 2014 Hurricane 32A. Glad I held off ordering them. Mods are possible to get them to fit but I'm not sure it's worth it......
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Roadmaster F & R Sways, Safe-T-Plus, Koni's
hexrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:41 PM   #15

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrays View Post
I was looking into installing these and almost placed an order. I had questions and sent some pics to their support team. I was told the body supports that Thor welds to their F53 chassis is an installation killer. I have a 2014 Hurricane 32A. Glad I held off ordering them. Mods are possible to get them to fit but I'm not sure it's worth it......

I put them on the front of my 18,000 lb F53 32 ft Fleetwood and I won’t do it on my new coach. DW could not tell the difference and I thought the difference was negligible. For me, at least, it was not worth the $500 self installed price. CHF front and rear fixed the sway on the current machine and Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer just because I kept it from the Fleetwood. Very happy.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #16

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
While installing Sumo Springs on the front and rear is not a bad thing but putting them on the front only is a mistake in MHO.

The bulk of the weight on most rigs is in the back half of the coach. That's why when you look at the Sumo weight ratings you never see the front Sumo's with a higher weight for the fronts vs the rears.

If you are going to install Sumo's at least install them in the rear first and then put some miles on before deciding to add them to the front.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We've got them on all four corners of our Sprinter. Body roll is very well-controlled, and gusty winds don't upset the rig.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Like Bob I installed them myself on all 4 corners of my MB Sprinter Chassis. It made a world of difference with the side motion. They were an easy install on the chassis.

Paul
Old 08-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #19

THOR #6826
I gather from reading here that they maybe are more effective on the F350/450 and Sprinters than they are on the F53s.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think that the F53 chassis has other issues, and needs a bit more "tinkering"