Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2019, 04:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
RV Voice commands : say 'turn on outside lights, open garage'

Thor Forums - View Single Post - I want to start a new thread about nothing, and let it run...

Old 11-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Ducksface,

I have been wondering about the Auto Echo or the Puck.
Thought you might enjoy the MOD below as I am leaning towards the puck and running it thru the Infotainment Center my son and I installed in the top shelf over the sink a few years ago. It consists of a fanless solid state mini computer, HDMI splitter (for use of the inside and outside TV at the same time), a wireless keyboard and a Blue-ray that doubles as a drive for the computer. Picture and listing of equipment purchased should be posted below (if not, it is elsewhere on this forum about 3 - 4 years ago under Infotainment Center I believe)
To improve our WiFi I went with a USB Marine WiFi exterior Antenna with the software loaded on to the Computer. It allow us to set up our own internal WiFi system.
I will be getting with my son for Thanksgiving and we are going to look at adding an Echo to the system for voice commands within the RV.
DW wants to know, how did you hook up the electric blanket to voice command.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1574679369

BTW: We use Echo at home, changed it's name to "Computer". That way I get to say "Computer On" when I enter the house.
I enjoy reading your MOD's although most are beyond my skill set...but keep posting anyway.

DocMike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onboard Comp.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	21622  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Items Ordered and Price.doc (23.0 KB, 77 views)

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

THOR #13932
You must use an old fashioned dial type blanket, not a digital. The kind with an on/off switch and a rheostat.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

THOR #13932

You and your son are much more patient and talented than I. I'm now just a pnp guy.
Plug and pray.

Ours at home is 'echo'. The spousal unit couldn't remember the name Alexa if life depended on it.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Simpler is better...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:57 AM   #6

THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Simpler is better...
My cycle garage door opener works almost the same way. Best looking garage door opener on the block. Simply hears the cycle and the door opens.

Sometimes the garage door opener is so distracting that I almost hit the work bench.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
bRAVO: you lucky Devil!
Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Ducksface,

I have been wondering about the Auto Echo or the Puck.
Thought you might enjoy the MOD below as I am leaning towards the puck and running it thru the Infotainment Center my son and I installed in the top shelf over the sink a few years ago. It consists of a fanless solid state mini computer, HDMI splitter (for use of the inside and outside TV at the same time), a wireless keyboard and a Blue-ray that doubles as a drive for the computer. Picture and listing of equipment purchased should be posted below (if not, it is elsewhere on this forum about 3 - 4 years ago under Infotainment Center I believe)
To improve our WiFi I went with a USB Marine WiFi exterior Antenna with the software loaded on to the Computer. It allow us to set up our own internal WiFi system.
I will be getting with my son for Thanksgiving and we are going to look at adding an Echo to the system for voice commands within the RV.
DW wants to know, how did you hook up the electric blanket to voice command.

BTW: We use Echo at home, changed it's name to "Computer". That way I get to say "Computer On" when I enter the house.
I enjoy reading your MOD's although most are beyond my skill set...but keep posting anyway.

DocMike
We have had an ECHO (gen 2) in our VEGAS for about a year, integrated it with the FIRE STICKS for TV control, and also use it for streaming AMAZON MUSIC over the dash radio. We have our own ATT hotspot, so the RV has its own INTERNET connection. We are running the GEN 2 ECHO, so it runs on the USB connection and runs off the coach batteries. We changed the WAKE word t ECHO (hate the ECHO AUTO since you cant change the WAKE word)
Old 11-26-2019, 10:36 PM   #9

THOR #2142
MoMIke,

THanks for the insight. Looks like I'll be having fun over the Christmas Holiday. We keep our Vegas at home on shore power 24/7 so it's my man cave during the winter.

DocMike

Old 11-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
MoMIke,

THanks for the insight. Looks like I'll be having fun over the Christmas Holiday. We keep our Vegas at home on shore power 24/7 so it's my man cave during the winter.

DocMike
Same here.. all the comforts of home (right at the curb)

Did you decide about the 27.7?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Did you guys have a 30 amp (or larger) plug installed for this purpose?
Or are you simply using a standard outlet?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #12

THOR #2142
Bob,

Ran 30AMP Service out to the driveway for the RV.

Still working the 27.7 search. Found a 2018 for $63.5K in Woodstock Ga, got a real lowball number for my trade-in (at $38K it was lowest out of 4 so far).

Found a new 2020 for $86K out the door at Gander in Statesville NC, but they have yet to give me a trade-in value.

I have time, 6 months on the Extended Warranty and by then all the 2020's will be "LAST YEAR MODELS" come the arrival of the 2021's in April/May.
I can wait...I am sure a new RV will depreciate faster the next 6 months than will my 4 1/2 year old RV will.

Heading out to Peace Valley KOA in Murphy NC for Thanksgiving. Our sons are coming up for Georgia (one son actually lives in Woodstock Ga). Had the RV Dealership not sent me such a lowball number we might have made a 70 mile run to look at it.

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

DocMike

Old 11-30-2019, 11:22 PM   #13

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
The Echo Auto

I got my class c last year. I have an Amazon echo, three dots, four fire sticks, an Amazon fire 8tablet and a Google home in my house. (Not a fan of the Google..) I have two of the dots on a battery speaker, so I can unplug them and take them outside. Last year, the fire tab and a dot speaker went with me to spring baseball training in Florida. I streamed the output of the for through the Bluetooth function of my indash radio. I used my cellphone as a wireless access point. Liked it alot. Then I got the echo auto. WOW!!! I LOVE THAT THING!!! Connects to RV audio via Bluetooth, connects to the phone the same way, used a lot less data than using the phone WiFi. It is small on the dash, and gets it power via usb. Because it interfaces with the phone, and it uses the phone GPS, and mapping software it's location-aware. It's good to be able to see the phone screen for maps. You can say "find the nearest restaurant" and my map app comes up. It gives me the choice and I can select what I want. It then displays the directions to my phone. I can ask "find cheap diesel near me" and has buddy pops up with the info and directions including distance! (Came in handy when the RV said I had 17 miles left in the tank, and the nearest diesel was 11 miles away) because it's an echo, it can play my favorite music through the radio speakers, so who needs Sirrus XM? The only issue is I have my home devices to wake to "echo" but the RV only answers to "Alexa". But it's one of the best investments I made for my RV. It might not unlock the doors but I think if you ask it, it CAN whistle 'Dixie'!