Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
oh, we just switched from ATT to T Mobile
looking forward to using that Binge on to see how well that works....
Let us know how it goes. I am thinking about switching too.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Let us know how it goes. I am thinking about switching too.
My initial report is that it's ok. I suspect opinion varies greatly depending on where you live and work.
We've experienced no significant problems around our home, but my wife has reported a couple of dropped calls in very specific places that others have told us they drop too. I wish that I'd taken better notes about ATT's signal, but guessing, I feel like i may have approx a bar less of signal at home but approx the same at work.... certainly not a problem

When we first switched a couple weeks ago, DW had a trial phone on T-Mobile while I was still on att. and we took the RV a few hours away into Georgia. Both phones worked more or less equally I'd say on the trip, but at one point when we checked while in the campground, mine was indicating approx 1 bar better.... but that could have been differences in equipment just as well as T-mobile's network.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #23

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
It is a bit more involved to set up.

I just spent seven hours getting the NanoStation loco M2 and the airGateway running. I made the mistake of trying to use Ubiquiti's instructions when setting up. I finally used JollyRodgers video and success!

I am happy to report that I am using my Axis WiFi network to send this message.

Finally my DVR is now connected via wireless to the internet. When at home the DVR has an Ethernet connection. No such luxury on the road.

The printer is also connected to the Axis network. It responds immediately. With the campground network, it could take fifteen minutes or more to download a page to the printer.

My thanks to the JollyRodgers for their comprehensive video.

The video is super helpful. We got lost in the instructions too!

The cool thing about the setup is that it provides a level of security for your personal devices (phone, laptop, etc.). Hackers would need to break through your Ubiquity WIFI before they can access your systems.

All that said, I do find where some campgrounds have poor internet service. Can't fix that! When that happens we'll use the cellular service. However, there are campgrounds that we frequent that has good service and this system works like a dream. We can use it for work or play! Nothing like working from the mountains... #dream

Glad it's working out for you!
Old 04-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #24

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
My initial report is that it's ok. I suspect opinion varies greatly depending on where you live and work.
We've experienced no significant problems around our home, but my wife has reported a couple of dropped calls in very specific places that others have told us they drop too. I wish that I'd taken better notes about ATT's signal, but guessing, I feel like i may have approx a bar less of signal at home but approx the same at work.... certainly not a problem

When we first switched a couple weeks ago, DW had a trial phone on T-Mobile while I was still on att. and we took the RV a few hours away into Georgia. Both phones worked more or less equally I'd say on the trip, but at one point when we checked while in the campground, mine was indicating approx 1 bar better.... but that could have been differences in equipment just as well as T-mobile's network.
Thanks. I am most interested in the service in the Western half of the US and Canada. ATT has upgraded its service there over the past 10 years that we have been spending time in our RV. Even the service in some of the NPs is decent and it was good over a good part of Alaska.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:28 AM   #25

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Thanks. I am most interested in the service in the Western half of the US and Canada. ATT has upgraded its service there over the past 10 years that we have been spending time in our RV. Even the service in some of the NPs is decent and it was good over a good part of Alaska.
T-mobile has large areas of "no data areas" even on Interstates in Arizona. They don't go to the Quartzsite RV show anymore because of poor service in that area. I have T-mobile and for voice its fine. Data ...hmmm not so good. I am thinking of changing my Nexus 7 to AT&T (Verizon does not support that tablet). But my comments are only about data if that was not clear sorry.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #26

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yes, I'd agree that most problems are regarding data, not voice. When things are bad enough for you loose voice, it's often where I wouldn't expect to necessarily get cell coverage anyway.... that's why the few dropped voice calls we've had on T-mobile are a bit concerning.

unfortunately ATT also has lots of dead zones for data (and some for voice too). Even more that are not dead but sorely in need of CPR. I've had ATT for years, so I've found plenty! My travel has been much more limited in recent years, but there are lots of holes up through the eastern Carolinas and up in Wisconsin. ATT has been decent for where I go in Florida.

Actually I had ATT years ago when I was traveling for work for a period of time. Went through several different carriers back then. This was in the early days of handset cell phones, analog stuff. ATT was by far the best. Very little if any problems roaming, good coverage, etc... With the other providers, I had 611 on speed dial.
Now days from what I can tell, Verizon is where ATT used to be... the overall best.

I think it totally depends on where you are re. cell providers, so for travelers its a bit tougher.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #27

THOR #1765
Thanks for the info... That was as I remembered 7-8 years ago when I had T-Mobile and went out west. Guess I'll keep ATT. Data is what I am most interested in. I could care less if anyone can call me. With all its warts, ATT still seems to be best bet in Europe (short term) and for RVing out west and in Canada/Alaska.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Thanks for the info... That was as I remembered 7-8 years ago when I had T-Mobile and went out west. Guess I'll keep ATT. Data is what I am most interested in. I could care less if anyone can call me. With all its warts, ATT still seems to be best bet in Europe (short term) and for RVing out west and in Canada/Alaska.
T-Mobile has spent a lot on network lte upgrades in the last couple years. If you will be in major cities or travel corridors T-Mobile looks like it will have reasonable coverage. I paid $80 for the Z-917 hot spot and the $35 6gig data plan. Mostly because they have a deal with Netflix and a few others where they do not charge your data if you don't need HD quailty and any unused data rolls over to the next month. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just cancel the service and only be out the cost of the device and maybe a month or two in service. I also have Verizon service for my phones that I can tether when in T-Mobil dead zone for checking email but would not want to watch video at Verizon rates. I went to Colorado a couple years ago and it was about $150 just to rent an Aircard so I could stay in contact with the office. This year I'll have the hotspot with good lte coverage all but a couple days we will spend camping along the river in Silt. I'll post results when I get back.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #29

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
T-Mobile has spent a lot on network lte upgrades in the last couple years. If you will be in major cities or travel corridors T-Mobile looks like it will have reasonable coverage. I paid $80 for the Z-917 hot spot and the $35 6gig data plan. Mostly because they have a deal with Netflix and a few others where they do not charge your data if you don't need HD quailty and any unused data rolls over to the next month. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just cancel the service and only be out the cost of the device and maybe a month or two in service. I also have Verizon service for my phones that I can tether when in T-Mobil dead zone for checking email but would not want to watch video at Verizon rates. I went to Colorado a couple years ago and it was about $150 just to rent an Aircard so I could stay in contact with the office. This year I'll have the hotspot with good lte coverage all but a couple days we will spend camping along the river in Silt. I'll post results when I get back.
Great! Thanks. We will not head out until July. Most of our time will probably be spent in the National Parks, as far from cities as we can get. The Netflix perk looks like it might be worth it to download or stream movies.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Went to storage and connected the T-Mobile Z-917 hotspot to my blueray with wifi in the RV. No problems at all. The picture using "Bingeon" was good but not great. Data for checking email and the web is more than good. Haven't had any issues in the metro Orange County, CA area. We will see how it works next month when we take the RV out.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote