Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #3635
Wifi

Some of the parks we have stayed at have weak wifi signals, what to do to improve it?

Old 03-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The RV Mobile Internet Resource Center has a really good review of your options.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
We use this. It's a little more involved to set up the first time, but after that it's ver straight forward. Notes on the iPad help us make sure we do t forget how to configure it on the road. We opted for the upgrade options indicated in the write up.

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble
Old 03-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've given up on campground wifi and simply use our cell. Share a hotspot on the phone with our devices (we have a lot of data on our plan).

I haven't been to a campground yet that has an acceptable WiFi signal and with LTE I'm usually going to get a faster connection than whatever the campground can provide.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3162
Check out a Bear Extender outdoor/indoor antenna. It works really well and it cost around $69 with lots of mounting options. I'm using it right now in Lakewood RV Park in Myrtle Beach SC. You connect it via usb to a laptop then turn the laptop into a hot spot and connect the rest of your devices. Only one signal bar without it and no connection possible. With it i have four bars and able to watch Netflix, YouTube and access my slingbox.

http://store.bearextender.com/produc...wi-fi-extender
Old 03-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Good information, three good suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

Like JamieGeek, we just use our phone for access when the signal doesn't reach. We aren't power users, but a booster would come in handy sometimes.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:02 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
We use this. It's a little more involved to set up the first time, but after that it's ver straight forward. Notes on the iPad help us make sure we do t forget how to configure it on the road. We opted for the upgrade options indicated in the write up.

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble
I use an older version from Ubiquiti - what I had access to - and works GREAT as far as being able to get connected... can help if you aren't close enough to the wifi source - but of course can't help if the connection just isn't up to the task (number of users, etc...)
It did let me bypass a bad connection in favor of a better - but further away - signal at a campsite.

I don't have a cell data plan capable of supporting what I need... I do use a cell phone as backup if all else fails...
For our 3+ month stay - ended up getting a modem from Comcast and using their high speed in the park (still fed into my RV wireless router so didn't have to connect each device to a new network.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Great instructional video and the price is right!

On the WiFi network set up for the coach, can you enter a MAC address that will enable a device to automatically login to the network? Specifically, a Hopper DVR.

Thanks,

Bruce

Quote:
We use this.....
Old 03-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
The RV Mobile Internet Resource Center has a really good review of your options.
Good info until you get to the member only block after reading the intro.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
On the WiFi network set up for the coach, can you enter a MAC address that will enable a device to automatically login to the network? Specifically, a Hopper DVR.
That depends on the capability of the router you use.... I've never had to enter the MAC address - always entered the SSID and security key on the device wanting to attach... (Some routers have a 'push button' to connect - "Wifi Protected Setup" - mine doesn't happen to have that.)

I haven't tried a Hopper - but have connected various computers, cell phones, tablets, blu ray players, PS4, etc...
Once entered - they can connect anytime.
(One reason for the 'RV Network' wifi is so I don't have to reconnect devices to each new network....)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
IMHO - Even if you do have a good WiFi connection, most parks have ancient WiFi systems that can not handle the bandwidth of multiple connections streaming movies, etc. In my recent trip, both parks had WiFi, but no bandwidth. Think of it as a water pipe shared with every one. You are at the end of the block and get really bad water pressure.

I think it is better to have a large data plan on your cellphone.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
We have Metro PCS and a phone that supports a hotspot. If you have a good 4G signal, which we normally do, the system works great. We have 11GB available on the hotspot. If you are streaming Netflix this will give you 2-3 hours of streaming, if you throttle Netflix back, you can get 10-12 hours. We usually use the hotspot with our tablets for games, browsing, etc. and there is no data limit.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #13

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
We bought a hot spot from our phone supplier (ATT) and it runs about $20 a month
for service. Works very well.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Just ordered a hotshot from T-Mobile for $80, 1st month free and $35 per month for 6 gigs thereafter, no contract and unused data rolls over to the next month. I have heard good and no so good about coverage. Worst case, I can drop the service and only be out $80 which is less than I would have paid to rent an aircard for a week or so.

Falcon Z-917 Hotspot | 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot & Sim Card | T-Mobile
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've given up on campground wifi and simply use our cell. Share a hotspot on the phone with our devices (we have a lot of data on our plan).

I haven't been to a campground yet that has an acceptable WiFi signal and with LTE I'm usually going to get a faster connection than whatever the campground can provide.
Same here. We try WiFi but the Cellular Network is our most used connection. I installed a WeBoost with exterior antenna / ground plane to improve the Cell signal.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #16

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
It is a bit more involved to set up.

I just spent seven hours getting the NanoStation loco M2 and the airGateway running. I made the mistake of trying to use Ubiquiti's instructions when setting up. I finally used JollyRodgers video and success!

I am happy to report that I am using my Axis WiFi network to send this message.

Finally my DVR is now connected via wireless to the internet. When at home the DVR has an Ethernet connection. No such luxury on the road.

The printer is also connected to the Axis network. It responds immediately. With the campground network, it could take fifteen minutes or more to download a page to the printer.

My thanks to the JollyRodgers for their comprehensive video.

Quote:
We use this. It's a little more involved to set up.....
Old 04-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Is anyone using the T-Mobile Binge On Data only SIM card for I think $30 or $35/ month? No contracts.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
I have T-mobile and the data coverage outside of urdan areas is bad out west. I have a data only for my Nexus 7.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #19

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

we do pretty much the same as Jamiegeek
but our cell coverage has been hit and miss since we do more state parks out in the woods... Usually have had decent coverage....

Another consideration for me is security. I'll rarely connect through wifi in hotels or places like that, just out of concern for keeping folks out of my business.... & I would NEVER do any banking and such over the wifi...

I have considered installing one of those cell phone boosters from Wilson Electronics (or similar) to get an antenna up high for a better signal... but they're expensive and I'm afraid that DW will yell....
Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #20

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
oh, we just switched from ATT to T Mobile
looking forward to using that Binge on to see how well that works....