Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Need CHF Help!!

I was doing the CHF on the rear axle. Passenger side bolts came out just fine and z-bracket rotated right into place. But on the driver side the z-bracket would not budge in the least.

I unhooked everything from passenger side first and left it unbolted while working on driver side. Finally just had to push the z-bracket bolt back to the other hole, but I'm left with the bracket not fully attached on that side. Passenger side went together without any trouble.

Suggestions?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190708_151602.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	18807

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #2

THOR #11266
Kicking back to the top. Leaving on a trip in a few days. Need to heard from someone with technical expertise.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:19 AM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
The bolt on the z-bracket is a press fit. You may have to use some persuasion. Put the nut on a few turns so you can hit the nut without damaging the threads on the bolt.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:22 AM   #4

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
The bolt on the z-bracket is a press fit. You may have to use some persuasion. Put the nut on a few turns so you can hit the nut without damaging the threads on the bolt.
I know it's a press fit. I took it out of the hole on the torsion bar, but I could not rotate the bracket. I was able to move it to the other hole, but now the linkage is only connected by that press fit bolt on the bracket. The question is... is this ok?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 AM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
I know it's a press fit. I took it out of the hole on the torsion bar, but I could not rotate the bracket. I was able to move it to the other hole, but now the linkage is only connected by that press fit bolt on the bracket. The question is... is this ok?
Sorry, I guess I didn't understand. Are you saying you can't get the sway bar bolt in or you can't get the bracket bolt in? It looks like the sway bar is relocated but the bracket is 180 degrees off. It should line up with the open hole correct? I'm sorry but it's been a while since I did mine.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:53 AM   #6

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
My opinion is you can drive it that way for now since it is essentialy the same as the front attachment which does not have the Z-bar.

The Z-bar brackets just help provide added strength to the bolt (~double shear load verses single shear without, like the front).
Not every F-53 chassis came with the Z-bar brackets on the rear.

When I did the CHF I purchased additional Z-bar brackets so I could improve the front to be as strong as the back (personal preference) and notched them to ensure they did not limit suspension travel.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #7

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Sorry, I guess I didn't understand. Are you saying you can't get the sway bar bolt in or you can't get the bracket bolt in? It looks like the sway bar is relocated but the bracket is 180 degrees off. It should line up with the open hole correct? I'm sorry but it's been a while since I did mine.
The picture was taken after I moved the bracket back to the other hole. And correct... the bracket is 180° off since I was not able to rotate it. Nothing I did would rotate the bracket. Passenger side did just fine, and everything is just as it should be.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
My opinion is you can drive it that way for now since it is essentialy the same as the front attachment which does not have the Z-bar.

The Z-bar brackets just help provide added strength to the bolt (~double shear load verses single shear without, like the front).
Not every F-53 chassis came with the Z-bar brackets on the rear.

When I did the CHF I purchased additional Z-bar brackets so I could improve the front to be as strong as the back (personal preference) and notched them to ensure they did not limit suspension travel.
I have the same instinct as you. My concern is...how important is the z-bracket on the rear? How long can I get by like this?

I've read some F53s used to have them on the front as well, but the no longer do. I'm leaving on a trip in a couple days that will be nearly 3000 miles. I may need to get a mobile mechanic out to get that bracket loose and rotated into place. Or will it be ok?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
I'm on a mobile app so can't see what model RV you have, but I suspect the criticality of the rear brackets will be related to the size and load of your RV.
If you have access to a bottle or floor jack, I would put it under the free end of the bracket to try and break it loose (loosen the end link to sway bar bolt slightly first, to allow the bracket to rotate). Alternatively you could use your stabilizer Jacks to raise the RV, brace under the bracket with some 4x4 or cement blocks and manually slightly lower the RV (if you try this method, have someone watch the bracket while you do it).
It really makes no sense that neither the bolt or the bushing will rotate in the end link.
I just had a thought that you may be able to contact the Ford RV tech center and ask them about the bracket and risks associated with not using it temporarily.
Final thought, many folks only do the front CHF with good results, so you could just return the rear to stock until a later time...
Old 07-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #10

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
I'm on a mobile app so can't see what model RV you have, but I suspect the criticality of the rear brackets will be related to the size and load of your RV.
If you have access to a bottle or floor jack, I would put it under the free end of the bracket to try and break it loose (loosen the end link to sway bar bolt slightly first, to allow the bracket to rotate). Alternatively you could use your stabilizer Jacks to raise the RV, brace under the bracket with some 4x4 or cement blocks and manually slightly lower the RV (if you try this method, have someone watch the bracket while you do it).
It really makes no sense that neither the bolt or the bushing will rotate in the end link.
I have a Hurricane 29M on the 18k chassis. I think I'll try that suggestion with the bottle jack. Loosen the nut and try to jack it to free it to rotate. I cannot understand why it will not rotate in that bushing. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #11781
I wouldn't drive the coach without the rear sway bar completely attached. When I did the CHF on my 29M, the rear was harder to move than the front, just don't remember if it was the bar or the end link. I vaguely remember using a bottle jack, but like I said, don't remember all the details.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #12

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I wouldn't drive the coach without the rear sway bar completely attached. When I did the CHF on my 29M, the rear was harder to move than the front, just don't remember if it was the bar or the end link. I vaguely remember using a bottle jack, but like I said, don't remember all the details.
I just can't understand why that bracket will not rotate. It won't budge a bit.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #13

THOR #11266
So here is where I am...

I sprayed PB Blaster on the stuck z-bracket and went ahead and completed the front CHF while letting it soak in. Gave it another spray and answered a few emails. Crawled my fat ass back under there and still nothing. That z-bracket just will NOT rotate at all. It looks like the bushing is somehow stuck or fused to something. It looks like things want to move, but the bushing is stuck. Hard to explain. Loosened the nut, put on a breaker bar...nothing. Tried hammering the bracket...nothing. Bottle jack...nothing. Now I cannot even get the dang press fit bolt out of that rear hole. Screw it...I put the nut back on and torqued it to 66.

Called the Ford Motorhome Assistance Center line and waiting for a call back from a technician. I wonder if this qualifies as a roadside assistance thing. Ha.

I may be calling a mobile tech to come help. I thought about removing the linkage and taking it to a shop to work on the bracket, but I do not have deep enough sockets to get it loose.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
So here is where I am...

I sprayed PB Blaster on the stuck z-bracket and went ahead and completed the front CHF while letting it soak in. Gave it another spray and answered a few emails. Crawled my fat ass back under there and still nothing. That z-bracket just will NOT rotate at all. It looks like the bushing is somehow stuck or fused to something. It looks like things want to move, but the bushing is stuck. Hard to explain. Loosened the nut, put on a breaker bar...nothing. Tried hammering the bracket...nothing. Bottle jack...nothing. Now I cannot even get the dang press fit bolt out of that rear hole. Screw it...I put the nut back on and torqued it to 66.

Called the Ford Motorhome Assistance Center line and waiting for a call back from a technician. I wonder if this qualifies as a roadside assistance thing. Ha.

I may be calling a mobile tech to come help. I thought about removing the linkage and taking it to a shop to work on the bracket, but I do not have deep enough sockets to get it loose.
Others have reported that There are ridges on the bolt. If torqued to hard the ridges get stuck on the metal insert of the bushing. If true that's why it won't come out. It needs to be hit hard to push it out. Most likely you can't get the leverage while under the mh

Wish I was close to you. I'd bring my tools and we would get it done

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #15

THOR #11266
Finally spoke to a tech from Ford Motorhome Assistance Center. He told me that z-bracket is intended as a redundancy in case one of the bolts breaks. He said it is safe to drive like I have it, but when I have time I should try again to get the bracket fully connected.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Finally spoke to a tech from Ford Motorhome Assistance Center. He told me that z-bracket is intended as a redundancy in case one of the bolts breaks. He said it is safe to drive like I have it, but when I have time I should try again to get the bracket fully connected.
Good to hear

After your trip remove the link and get that bolt pressed out
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #17

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Chf

Quote:

I put my Z brackets in a vise to rotate them. It takes some doing, but you'll get there. My first attempt on my 2019 I gave up & put it back like it came. Then re-read the forums, got a hammer to it & now I'm a happy camper.

Thinking about doing the front after this next trip. That bar is so much heavier I'm not sure I can do it or the rods would reach.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:40 AM   #18

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
THOR #14761
Quote:
I was doing the CHF on the rear axle. Passenger side bolts came out just fine and z-bracket rotated right into place. But on the driver side the z-bracket would not budge in the least.

I unhooked everything from passenger side first and left it unbolted while working on driver side. Finally just had to push the z-bracket bolt back to the other hole, but I'm left with the bracket not fully attached on that side. Passenger side went together without any trouble.

Suggestions?Attachment 18807
I had the same issue on my Miramar put the nut on couple of screws and bang it with a hammer or maybe add a little WD-40 it’ll come out its just stuck
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:02 AM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
As I recall I did like Sanddog, I put the nut on the rear Z bracket bolt back on a cpl turns then knocked the bolt out with a hammer. It wasn't too terribly hard to get out on my ACE
Old 07-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Took a lot of WD-40 and a BFH to get mine out. I put the nut on till the threads were level and pounded on that. Another easier option would be to use a gear puller to push it out, I didn’t have one at the time but I think it would have worked great.