Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Wind turbulence at speed

So most of the the time I can cruise in our 29m at 65 - 70 mph with zero problems. I have a roadmaster stabilizer installed. However, sometimes when the wind is high, I can barely keep 60mph without it feeling like I will get blown off the road. Is this a problem for all coaches or is it just the f53 18000lb chassis? Reason I ask is I have had a few other coaches pass me in this crazy wind. Any tips and tricks that you can share?

Old 01-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Only one: slow down.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
So most of the the time I can cruise in our 29m at 65 - 70 mph with zero problems. I have a roadmaster stabilizer installed. However, sometimes when the wind is high, I can barely keep 60mph without it feeling like I will get blown off the road. Is this a problem for all coaches or is it just the f53 18000lb chassis? Reason I ask is I have had a few other coaches pass me in this crazy wind. Any tips and tricks that you can share?
Same chassis on same factory, but longer coach (more rear overhang). The only chassis mods are Sumo Maxum springs (front and rear) and SuperSteer rear track bar. I did have the front axle shimmed to 6 degrees of caster, as I have found that to be ideal in my Corvairs which are also rear weight biased with long rear overhang. I do show down in heavy, gusty, thunder storms but only because of limited visibility and fear of hydroplaning. 45 mph gusty winds of West Texas do not cause any problems at my 60 mph cruise speed. I do travel at close to my max weight at 6,100 lbs front, 11,700 lbs on the rear.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #4

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
If you haven't done the "Cheap Handling Fix" it would be the second thing to do.
First would be an alignment along with air pressure check.
FYI the pressure listed on the door is the max pressure for a fully loaded F53 chassis!
Yours is probably not at its Maximum load, if your running what's on the tire , that's your problem.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #5

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Thats what I figured.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Why do you think this is abnormal? Any type of gusting crosswind will throw any MH around. Look at the surface area it has to work against.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Thats what I figured.
I don't mean to denigrate your driving skills.
But sometimes the game just needs to be called on account of the weather...
If you're not comfortable with what you're feeling: you first have to make sure that you live to fight another day.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #8

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why do you think this is abnormal? Any type of gusting crosswind will throw any MH around. Look at the surface area it has to work against.
My main reason for asking the question was that I had a few other coaches pass me. Made me wonder if they felt it less, or they cared less. Figured it had to be one or the other.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Gas coaches of your size (and mine), depending on the chassis rating, can be near, at or even over their weight rating. Not necessarily unsafe but maybe getting toward the squirrelly end of the spectrum. Other coaches can be on a different chassis - especially the diesel pushers - and they may be more capable. I’m with Bob and just slow down a mite if it starts to get stressful. It took me a couple of years after retirement to learn not to hurry much anymore.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:09 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
My main reason for asking the question was that I had a few other coaches pass me. Made me wonder if they felt it less, or they cared less. Figured it had to be one or the other.
There's an old saying: "Ignorance is bliss."
Some folks like being blissful.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:32 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
My 2 cents are it's just the day. In my 29M with the same general traffic, weather and road conditions, some days are just easier than others. Could be the way I'm tilting my head or the shoes I'm wearing, I don't know. Some mornings are easier than others but the other way around in the afternoon. I can't explain it, but it has been that way with every RV I've had since 1980. If it gets to hard, I just stop at the next Wal Mart and check out the fishing department to see what kind of lures the locals use. After a break, things seem to be better.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:29 AM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I have tried that, slowed down to 75 and it is still hard

My experience is kind of odd, when it is windy I know it, and I have both hands on and a little more alert, my problem is when I slow down. IMO It is more dangerous for me when I drive 60 - 65 or so. It seems that at that speed every 18 wheeler on the highway will pass me. Without fail, every time one of them come up behind me to overtake me; the coach will swerve over to right, and I have to be careful to not overcompensate, or I could lose control. Then as they get side by side me they seem to always slow down, it drives me nuts. When I drive 72; or so on average, I will occasionally pass the OP and the 18 wheelers But when I am passing I don't feel effect of the winds short a gust. If winds were gusting over 25 mph, I would probably NOT drive and just hangout in my RV some place. 15 - 25; I am on high alert. Later this year, if I don't have any major repairs, Summo Springs or a Rear Stabilizer will be next on my list. I just need more research from the pros to learn which to go for 1st? I rather fix swerve due to trucks passing me over the wind.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:35 AM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
If you haven't done the "Cheap Handling Fix" it would be the second thing to do.
First would be an alignment along with air pressure check.
FYI the pressure listed on the door is the max pressure for a fully loaded F53 chassis!
Yours is probably not at its Maximum load, if your running what's on the tire , that's your problem.
I run at 82 with precision (no TPMS ) , but never heard of this. I doubt I am any where near full load. Do you think, it is smoother ride with less air and if so; how low would go? (Assume I am 50% of full load)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 AM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We don’t have the same coach but we can definitely have days where we feel the wind. Like Bob said all you can do is slow or stop. If you see the truckers pulled over because of the wind that’s probably a good sign you should as well.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Quote:
We have a 2020 29m and my experience so far is very similar to yours. Oem suspension set up handled poorly but I am finding out there are many factors involved. GVW, load distribution, tire pressure, ambient wind speed, ambient wind direction, road surface is a big one too. I have added a rear trac bar and a steering stabilizer which both helped but were not a magic bullet. My first trip from MI to TX last year I loaded conservatively, total weight was 17,160#, 5920# on steer axle and 11240# on drive axle. This was before suspension mods and I thought it handled terribly in almost all road conditions. This year, after the mods, more short trips, and experimentation i am loaded to the maximum GVWR (18,000#) 6200# on steer axle and 11,800# on drive axle and I am now pleased with the handling. I can still feel cross winds, big ones can move me significantly, but nothing like before. All above stated factors combine in different ways with differing conditions. As previous posts have stated, the easiest thing to control and adjust is your speed, so I use that to get the most acceptable handling on almost a moment by moment basis. I think the additional weight helps significantly too. I can notice an improvement in handling just by filling my 40 gallon fresh water tank. I have not had individual wheel loads checked but I would like to if I get an opportunity.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
You are all doing exactly what i have done.. in general we must dynamically adjust our driving based on many factors. When the einds were high for me 35 to 50 m.p.h gusts ..i drive at 45 m.p.h. and my wife and I made it fine and when wind lowered we were back to 65-75 thanks
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #17

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Try walking outside in the wind with a 4x8 pc of plywood then multiply it by 10 that’s what you rv has to deal with.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
Wind, crosswind

ACE 30.3 I drove at 65 trying to be conservative and easier on the toad and the MH for the first two years. On hi ways with significant cross wind at 65 every 18 wheeler just blows by so then you get the full front pressure wave and the cross wind. It was a little dicy at times and tiring. I added roadmaster steering stabilizer and it helps a lot! I drive at 70 or just a little faster now depending on conditions. Not as many trucks pass and the speed difference is less so it's less violent. That being said US 287 between Ft Worth and Amarillo is awful. A lot of it is rough and the wind is always blowing, always cross wind. When we stopped at the rest area at Quannah the wind was so high it almost tore the door off when we opened it. ( I have made this trip 50 times or more and it's always like that or worse) still driving next to a k rail and a big rig in wind is a large pucker factor.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #19

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Wind

I have a ACE 27.1 which stands for Aufully Crappy Equipment, I’ve done the CHF, sumos, bigger roll bars , alignment, tire pressure, drives real good on a calm day, but in KS when the wind blows I’ve just learned to drive at the I’m corfortable with whether it be 75-45.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
Joe,

You ask if all coaches are that way. Not really. A 45 foot diesel with independent front suspension and a tag axle will be very different from a 29 foot gas coach.
I had an Alpine Coach that would actually move the semi tractors a little when I passed them. It was extremely stable in all but stupid windy conditions. When you came out of an overpass you only hardly felt a decent cross wind.
Great coach for two people. Terrible layout when the kids and their families want to travel with you.
I now have a 37 foot gas camper that has air bags front and rear. It drives and rides good. Not as good as the Alpine, but nice for a gas. You can improve your coach immensely, but it will always be a short chassis and therefore subject to more movement.