Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Smile Windsport 27K - Furniture Replacement Project Complete

There have been a few other posts on replacing the Windsport furniture, specifically changing from the L-shaped dinette to a more comfortable seating arrangement. I used a lot of the examples I saw here to take on this project.

For my 2015 Windsport 27K, the original furniture upholstery was cracking and peeling - both captain chairs and the dinette. Almost unbelievably, my extended warranty coverage with Good Sam offered some money to cover a good portion of the replacement furniture. I chose "shop4Seats.com" for a 53" loveseat recliner and two captain chairs, all in matching Fawn color in the "De Leon" style.

I took a few photos during the project and am attaching them here. Note that this project stretched my carpentry skills to the limit, so don't be afraid to try this at home!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - Old Original Dinette Arrangement.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	17569   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - Old Dinette Disassembled.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	17570  

Name:	03 - Old Dinette Removed.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	17571   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 - Power Center Unbolted.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	17572  

Name:	05 - Power Center Relocated.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	17573   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - New End Table Construction.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	17574  

Name:	07 - Old Captain Seats Removed.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	17575   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 - New Captain Chairs.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	17576  

Name:	09 - New Heater Vent Box Behind Loveseat.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	17577   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 - New Loveseat.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	17578  

Old 05-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

THOR #2154
And, here's the finished product:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11 - New Living Space Panaramic View.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	17579  
Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 AM   #3

Model: Windsport
State: California
THOR #13291
I did the same to mine
Old 08-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
And, here's the finished product:
Very nice!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #5

State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Can you list the make, modle, and vendor where you got the recliners? Excellent work.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #6

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Can you list the make, modle, and vendor where you got the recliners? Excellent work.
Thanks, I'm really happy with the new interior remake. These seats were all from Shop4Seats.com and the "De Leon" style in Fawn Ultimate Leather. Very comfy seats!

A snippet from the invoice is attached.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	25504  
Old 08-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #7

THOR #2817
Thanks for the information about the recliners. I wonder how well they will fit me, since I am 6'-4" tall and most regular recliners don't fit me.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Thanks for the information about the recliners. I wonder how well they will fit me, since I am 6'-4" tall and most regular recliners don't fit me.
I’m 6’2” and I’m going to give them a go.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I’m 6’2” and I’m going to give them a go.
Thanks and please post how the recliner works for you.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
I'm 6'4" also and I dont think any rv size recliner will "fit" us but the recpro recliner works for me. Very comfortable

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I'm 6'4" also and I dont think any rv size recliner will "fit" us but the recpro recliner works for me. Very comfortable

Jerry
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #12

State: New Jersey
THOR #1115
Tom

Did you have to buy new stands for the captain chairs or did the original ones fit your replacement chairs
Thanks
Old 08-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #13

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheaten View Post
Tom

Did you have to buy new stands for the captain chairs or did the original ones fit your replacement chairs
Thanks
I used the original stands for the seats. They are bolt-on compatible.

Tom
Old 09-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #6600
Tom; I’m looking seriously at the DeLeon set also for my sofa replacement, and would need to do some minor mods to ensure there is clearance below. Is there any way you could post a few pics of the lower mechanism with the sofa open? I’m trying to get an idea of how the sofa frame sits on the ground. Does it just use 4 feet that touch ground at the end corners? Also how much clearance is from ground to the bottom of the recliner mechanism? Shop4Seats couldn’t provide those details.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #15

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
There have been a few other posts on replacing the Windsport furniture, specifically changing from the L-shaped dinette to a more comfortable seating arrangement. I used a lot of the examples I saw here to take on this project.

For my 2015 Windsport 27K, the original furniture upholstery was cracking and peeling - both captain chairs and the dinette. Almost unbelievably, my extended warranty coverage with Good Sam offered some money to cover a good portion of the replacement furniture. I chose "shop4Seats.com" for a 53" loveseat recliner and two captain chairs, all in matching Fawn color in the "De Leon" style.

I took a few photos during the project and am attaching them here. Note that this project stretched my carpentry skills to the limit, so don't be afraid to try this at home!
Very nice job. Impressive

Few questions..

1. I did not follow the vent tubing that went to the newly constructed box that seem to be under the new recliner?
2. What happened to the table floor pedestals, are the marks under new sofa or did you do some floor work too?
3. I follow the need to replace worn furniture, and maybe the disdain for a L shape configuration, but why did feel that you no longer need a table? Mayb I am breaking some rule, but I have been working out of RV since March and I can't imagine not having the table. (Note: I don't have L shape configuration though)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #16

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by southladon View Post
Tom; I’m looking seriously at the DeLeon set also for my sofa replacement, and would need to do some minor mods to ensure there is clearance below. Is there any way you could post a few pics of the lower mechanism with the sofa open? I’m trying to get an idea of how the sofa frame sits on the ground. Does it just use 4 feet that touch ground at the end corners? Also how much clearance is from ground to the bottom of the recliner mechanism? Shop4Seats couldn’t provide those details.
Hi, I am attaching a few photos that show how the recliners bolt to the floor. I used four bolts on each recliner; just inboard of the feet and using the existing holes in the steel rails of the chairs.

Pardon the sawdust in the photos!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full Recline Position.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	25996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounting Rails of Recliner.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	25997  

Name:	Front Rail Mounting of Recliner.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	25998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Rail Mounting of Recliner.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	25999  

Old 09-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #17

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Very nice job. Impressive

Few questions..

1. I did not follow the vent tubing that went to the newly constructed box that seem to be under the new recliner?
2. What happened to the table floor pedestals, are the marks under new sofa or did you do some floor work too?
3. I follow the need to replace worn furniture, and maybe the disdain for a L shape configuration, but why did feel that you no longer need a table? Mayb I am breaking some rule, but I have been working out of RV since March and I can't imagine not having the table. (Note: I don't have L shape configuration though)
1. I extended the heater vent hose running it behind the recliners, with a wood box I built around the hose so that things could be placed behind the recliners without damaging the hose.

2. The floor pedestals for the table were removed and the holes in the floor from those are underneath the new chairs so you don't see the marks.

3. We have the table between the captains chairs up front to use, and also the new recliners have removable "TV tables" that fit into the arm rests. That's plenty of room for just the two of us - we're usually eating outside when weather permits and when forced inside we like to be parked in front of the TV anyway! So much more comfy for us than the old bench seating.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
1. I extended the heater vent hose running it behind the recliners, with a wood box I built around the hose so that things could be placed behind the recliners without damaging the hose.

A+

2. The floor pedestals for the table were removed and the holes in the floor from those are underneath the new chairs so you don't see the marks.

A+

3. We have the table between the captains chairs up front to use, and also the new recliners have removable "TV tables" that fit into the arm rests. That's plenty of room for just the two of us - we're usually eating outside when weather permits and when forced inside we like to be parked in front of the TV anyway! So much more comfy for us than the old bench seating.

A+
So your job was even better than well done and impressive
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:51 AM   #19

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #6600
Quote:
Hi, I am attaching a few photos that show how the recliners bolt to the floor. I used four bolts on each recliner; just inboard of the feet and using the existing holes in the steel rails of the chairs.

Pardon the sawdust in the photos!

Tom

Tom; Thanks so much for pics. That really does help to show clearance or lack of. We are actually looking at the 70” Deleon recliner sofa. We are going to order the electric drive to get a little more clearance. Had another question regarding your awesome work!: noticing the veneer paneling that you used to cover the power cabinet. Where did you get that from? Looks like it matches your interior. We also have the same interior color. Prior to that, the dinette veneer was padded correct?
Old 09-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #20

THOR #2154
I was happy to find that the wood veneer that was under the original dinette seat matched the rest of the interior. So I was able to use it for the side panels of the power center, as you noticed. That, and using the original table top material for the top lid of the power center cabinet makes everything look like it "came that way". :-)

Tags
furniture dinette