Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Texas
THOR #12722
Is it worth it to upgrade shocks

I have a 2018 Ace 27.2. I had the front end alignment, front tires balanced, added rear track bar, steering stabilizer and CHF. Weighed and adjusted tire pressure per chart. I can feel every bump, so I was wondering if new Koni shocks would help?

Old 04-06-2020, 01:00 AM   #2

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I believe if you search the site enough you’ll see ppl have ditched their Bilstiens for Konis and vice versa each claiming a wondrous improvement. Of course if you spend the $ to swap them out you’ll have to justify, if even in your own mind, the drastic improvement so as not to have to admit your $ blunder. [emoji16] Unless you invest some hard cash in an air ride suspension system... you don’t way to know the price of that... I doubt you’ll notice any drastic improvement, it is, after all, a house in wheels.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:42 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieb View Post
I have a 2018 Ace 27.2. I had the front end alignment, front tires balanced, added rear track bar, steering stabilizer and CHF. Weighed and adjusted tire pressure per chart. I can feel every bump, so I was wondering if new Koni shocks would help?
You will absolutely realize an improvement in your ride if you replace your stock shocks with either Konis or Bilsteins…. I would suggest the Koni FSPs myself. If you want to spend some bucks "bigly"... spend another $8k over all of the additional mods and have LiquidSprings installed. They will end all of your issues.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:52 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I took a similar route to improve the handling of my Hurricane. The thing that improved the ride the most for me was front sumosprings. My Hurricane now rides and drives smoother than my little pickup.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:30 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I am pretty sure the 2018 27.2 has Bilisteins as OEM shocks.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:03 AM   #6

State: California
THOR #12858
I have a Vegas E-450 Chassis 24.1. The suspension mods are: Bilstein all around including steering, Sumos front and rear, Hellwig Stabilizer bars front and rear, and a SuperSteer Trac bar. It's night and day different from stock. The next mod will be better tires. Incorporating all the mods makes for a small house on wheels that handles really well. . ... Not as sweet as a dynamic "ambulance" suspension, but damn good over the stock wallowing pig.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

THOR #12722
What about the sumo springs? I have read a lot of threads on this site about upgrades on the suspensions. My didn't even come with a front trac bar so I installed a factory trac bar which made a big difference on being pushed around by wind and trucks. Not that I want to spend more money on upgrades but if new shocks or sumo springs would make any difference I would do it.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
What about the sumo springs? I have read a lot of threads on this site about upgrades on the suspensions. My didn't even come with a front trac bar so I installed a factory trac bar which made a big difference on being pushed around by wind and trucks. Not that I want to spend more money on upgrades but if new shocks or sumo springs would make any difference I would do it.
You've restated the OP's question.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

I put Sumo springs on the front of my 2016 F53 without telling DW. She didn’t notice ANY difference. I did but not nearly enough to justify the $500 cost. On the plus side, they were very easy to self install.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Op is complaining of a rough ride not handling.
Op didn't tell us how much air in the tires.
'read the chart' is all we've got.
Some of You guys are recommending handling fixes not ride fixes.

I run 38psi in my 3/4 ton truck.
My neighbor runs 85psi in his 3/4 ton truck.
Guess who complains about the ride.
I don't really care if I get a 5% reduction in tire mileage.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
While we stuck. I am thinking about the Helwig sway bars and possibly new shocks. We are at 5 years on chassis build date. Handling has been fine. The only things I have done is put roadmaster damper and adjust tire pressure. I saw a big improvement when initial crown on front tires wore away. I have also learned to appreciate the indepentdent front suspensiom.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #12

THOR #12722
Is it worth it to upgrade shocks

I'm running 82 psi. I also attached the scale weight and tire chart. When I had it in for an alignment he suggested that I put more air in the tires because he thought the tires were to warm, meaning they were under inflated. I didn't add anymore air. Per the chart it looks like the lowest would be 80 psi. Let me know if I'm reading it wrong per scale weight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scale weight.pdf (232.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf tire-care-guide.pdf (1.70 MB, 94 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"Ride versus handling"...
The Age-Old tug of War!
If you want it to ride smoother: handling will suffer
If you want less body roll on those on-ramps: you'll feel more bumps.

Make small incremental changes, and see if you can find the best compromise.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sometimes experimentation needs experimented with.
Some people on this forum are those who absolutely 100% believe the specs given are absolutely to the ounce the specs to be used.

Drop the tire pressure to 70psi, take a moderate speed test drive and see if you like it.
If you like it, research the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of miles ran on those tires at lower pressures.
If you don't like the outcome or percentages of failure, don't do it.

People are paid to write instructions manuals who are distantly related to the product(Bob Newhart Show)

Engineers covering the company ass per the company lawyers build the parameters. Real world use seldom gets considered past liability.
Everyone knows this, everyone complains about the small print and warranty exemptions...and yet it gets treated as gospel by some. No person in the whole wild world believes it's purpose isn't primary butt covering, yet most succomb, and pass it on as gospel.

I'll damn well ignore the
'causes cancer' sticker on my claw hammer and go ahead and use it with bare hands... As a pry bar.

I hope my use of the california 'causes cancer' stickers on almost everything is sort of a
Think for yourself a bit
Wake up call.
Take considerations into consideration.

If I need to lower the tire pressure to 15psi to get me out of the sand, don't think I won't. Of course I'll go back to a proper, not a mandated psi for whatever situation is immediately after the sand situation.
(just another example of what they won't tell you due to liability, but everyone knows how and why)

Hint:
If you need snow tires for snow, and summer tires for summer, and believe that, then why wouldn't you believe you need different pressures for different temperatures and situations?

We all know the
'check tire pressure when cold'
Arguments.
Thusly
We all know the tires have a RANGE of viable pressures, not a specific pressure.

Punchline
See how it rides at a lower pressure and weigh benefit to you against information, misinformation, misinterpretation, corporate liability, laboratory situation, those who believe the writer of the manual is an all knowing eye of some sort and is not to be parlayed with, and the real life of how many millions of miles of supposedly slightly(not dramatically) under inflated tires roll the roads on any day, at any temperature at any hour.

The word 'guide' not 'mandate above all' is right there in the title of the link you provided.
Guide translated into any language means 'consider this first', and that's all it means.

I come off as rather terse. I've never developed an email or text or forum voice where I don't. I've tried. I try to be irrefutable(but I sway easily when presented with facts) and it comes off harsh. Sorry. All I mean is prove the manual is the word of the tire God them self, or try another tire pressure.
I'm not much of a
'because they say so' guy.
I'm a
'why can't I put a trailer ball on my backhoe bucket?' guy.
(they'll never tell you why 79psi defies nature but 80psi doesn't)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I'm running 82 psi. I also attached the scale weight and tire chart. When I had it in for an alignment he suggested that I put more air in the tires because he thought the tires were to warm, meaning they were under inflated. I didn't add anymore air. Per the chart it looks like the lowest would be 80 psi. Let me know if I'm reading it wrong per scale weight.
Assuming you have 245/70R19.5 tires I would say 80 is good all around with 3640 for the steers (weighed at 2840) and 3415 for the duals (weighed at 2560).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Assuming you have 245/70R19.5 tires I would say 80 is good all around with 3640 for the steers (weighed at 2840) and 3415 for the duals (weighed at 2560).

Aren’t those numbers based on 70 PSI on chart?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA101DE8-D72A-4361-A406-32D84A9ED59C.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	23193  
Old 04-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #17

THOR #2121
My 2 cents ....

Quote:

As a first step I would personally reverse the CHF, at least in front since you ride over front axle, to see if you notice an improvement in ride. If not, you can always put it back.

Fans of CHF rarely discuss any of the potential negatives/cons. A lighter 16,000-pound motorhome shouldn’t need as much sway bar stiffness anyway. Overdoing stiffness can lead to a harsh ride just like springs that are too stiff or too much tire pressure.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #18

THOR #12722
Not sure why Goodyear says to use the 80 PSI after Feb 2006 for the low end on their scale for 245/70R19.5. My RV is pretty lite compared to others and it does have a short wheel base. I think I will reverse the CHF first and see if the harshness goes away. If not I will play with the air pressure next. It will be awhile before we take it out again due to the current events. Shocks will be my next step if we don't see a difference.

I appreciate everybody's input. As always I learn a lot on this forum.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I took a similar route to improve the handling of my Hurricane. The thing that improved the ride the most for me was front sumosprings. My Hurricane now rides and drives smoother than my little pickup.
I would agree 100% with you on the Sumo Springs. I put a set on the front of my Windsport 29m and a RoadMaster sway bar in the rear. Very stable and improved handling a lot. Not sure about changing the shocks til I see one leaking, then will upgrade!!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Sumos on the front is the way to go!!!