Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
This is the year for more upgrades

Well, I've had my 2017 Challenger 37LX coming up on two years this June (ordered March 2016) and other than a few things, this is the year to spend some money

Planned Modifications this year:
1) ordered the 5Star tune and hopefully will have it within the next week.
2) Finally getting around to doing the CHF although I don't notice too much swaying as it is but I can't wait to see how it handles afterwards with my lead foot.
3) Replace all 3 TVs with smart TVs. Since they are so cheap, I will just get 2 32" and 1 40" (maybe 42" after I take measurements. It should fit)
4) Sumo Springs front and rear
5) Install sound bar for outside TV to hear it better
6) Install swinging arm for outside tv to angle it wherever I need it
7) Install/Replace front and rear track bar
8) Tap into the half bath vent and run some ducting to the rear of the coach or push more air to the rear. Either way, I need more heat to the rear.
9) Cut cup holders into the dinette table. 2017 had none. I think the 2018 model now has cup holders
10) Maybe add sound deadening underneath the dash.
11) Replace the stock sofa with one that has an easier, more comfortable bed.
12) If the wife lets me, add DirectTV antenna.

Mods already completed:
1) Replaced master bed with a more comfortable bed. The Denver mattress it came with can stay in Denver
2) Added 1.5" memory foam to the front mattress thing. My son says it's quite comfortable now. That's about a thick as you can go or you can't put in get locking pins
3) Installed SnapPads to the leveling jacks
4) Installed 4 new sealed batteries
5) Installed a second catch for the dinette drawer. Hard left turns would release it with the one that was put on. Now it stays shut.
6) Installed an adjustable vent in the half bath. It is right next to the heater and would get way too hot in there.
7) Purchased a water softener for the RV. It helps a lot and keeps the wife happy
8) Added TST TPMS 6+4 to monitor tire pressure of all tires and toad
9) Sound-proofed the doghouse with dynamat and also added thicker heat shield. Can now have a normal conversation at a normal level.
10) Added rubber trim to all of the areas where there was plastic on plastic (like the top of the doghouse. A nice rubber ring not only looks good, but stops subtle squeaks of plastic on plastic.
11) Replaced the stereo in the bedroom to send the sound to the speakers over the bed. I found one with direct rca inputs from the TV.

Things that just needed to be done:
1) Remove every single drawer and shop vac'd the floor
2) While everything was removed, added screws where needed because a lot of the trucks only had 1 screw holding it in.
3) Removed vent covers and shop vac'd the areas
4) Had a loose ground screw in the engine compartment that took a while to find, but it would shake somewhat going down the road and I would lose all lights (headlights, foglight, running lights), stereo, and half of dash when it failed to ground. Thoroughly cleaned the contact points, bolted it in place and then put on anti-corrosion spray and then undercoating to protect it. No issues ever again
5) fixed the rubber seal on the drivers side full wall slide. It was loose which cause the wiring to get pulled and eventually messed it up. I reran the wiring better and added a clip that keeps the wire away from the slide. I had an issue midway through my long trip where the slide wouldn't go in or out. Figured out what it was and fixed it permanently when I got home.
6) Fixed the baffles in the air conditioners. They were not in place and one was even laying flat. Disassembled the shroud inside the coach and set them in place with a small amount of glue. Without those in place, there was no way to divert air properly through the ducting.

2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

I felt good about adding some vent covers, a sewer hose caddy, and drilling holes in the front bumper for my Family Motor Coach Association Plaque.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #3

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Wow....
Given what you had to pay for your coach ...Then having to do all the "up-grades" and "fix's"
Hat's off to you for your tolerance.......
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #4

THOR #3920
I actually like it. When I fix it, I know it’s done right and when something goes wrong I know how to fix it. I really don’t expect too much quality control from anything I buy but so far Thor has been the best. The upgrades aren’t needed but much appreciated. I plan on keeping it for a while, might as well customize it to my needs.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #5

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Question about #7 of to do list. I get installing rear track bar, was the best thing i did to my mh, but are you replacing the front track bar. If yes why????

Also i would hold off on the rear sumo and see how the ride is after rear track bar is installed

I put front sumos on and found the rears are not needed. The rears i believe are around $400. Might save you a few dollars

Do one suspension mod at a time, drive the mh to see/feel the difference, then go to the next mod. You might not need as many as you think you do

Ill assume youre doing the work your self. If yes have fun. I enjoyed doing. my installs

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut View Post
I actually like it. When I fix it, I know it’s done right and when something goes wrong I know how to fix it. I really don’t expect too much quality control from anything I buy but so far Thor has been the best. The upgrades aren’t needed but much appreciated. I plan on keeping it for a while, might as well customize it to my needs.
We feel exactly the same way. Love our coach, but it's always fun to make it more your own as well.

I'm very interested in following your progress. We've had our 37LX 14 months. We've added a trac bar and Safe T Plus, swapped the main TV, plus added a few other things.

I'm particularly in interested to hear how the sound bar and swing arm for outside TV goes for you. That's on our to do list down the road. Also the couch/bed swap.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

THOR #3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Question about #7 of to do list. I get installing rear track bar, was the best thing i did to my mh, but are you replacing the front track bar. If yes why????

Also i would hold off on the rear sumo and see how the ride is after rear track bar is installed

I put front sumos on and found the rears are not needed. The rears i believe are around $400. Might save you a few dollars

Do one suspension mod at a time, drive the mh to see/feel the difference, then go to the next mod. You might not need as many as you think you do

Ill assume youre doing the work your self. If yes have fun. I enjoyed doing. my installs

Jerry

The only reason I was doing both was to use heavier duty track bars. I am anal about mods and like matching equipment. I am sure the one on there will work. I guess it’s one of those ocd things [emoji3]

Old 03-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Are you confusing track bars and sway bars? The unit comes with front and rear sway bars but you have to add track bars.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #9

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Are you confusing track bars and sway bars? The unit comes with front and rear sway bars but you have to add track bars.
The f53 has front track bar
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-18-2018, 03:30 AM   #10

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
My F53 has only a sway bar in front. I've never seen a vehicle with a front track bar.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:40 AM   #11

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
My F53 has only a sway bar in front. I've never seen a vehicle with a front track bar.
Mitch it should be there its actually behind the axle. To see it you need to look from behind the front wheels and up. Cant see it when looking from under the motor area.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 03-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #12

THOR #6310
Our Challenger came with anti sway bars on the front and the back, and a track bar on the front, which is standard for our 24,000 lb chassis. We added an Ultratrac Trac Bar to the rear, and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 AM   #13

THOR #3920
So far before the snowstorm on the first day of spring, I got the 2 TV’s replaced with Samsung smart tv’s and today I did the 5 star tune.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #14

THOR #3920
In the process of taking out the fireplace to get to the tv plug, I did find this mess. Looks like someone cut the wire too short and added a 3 foot section but didn’t tighten the connection all the way which explains why we sometimes got a fuzzy picture at campgrounds. I also noticed they had the fireplace on it’s own circuit which is nice because our last coachman RV shared the circuit with the water heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6482.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	9429Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6481.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	9430

Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Question: Do you make "House Calls"?
Old 03-24-2018, 12:16 AM   #16

THOR #3920
Not really [emoji3] but I do like helping people out with their rv’s

Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #17

THOR #6310
Quote:
Well, I've had my 2017 Challenger 37LX coming up on two years this June (ordered March 2016) and other than a few things, this is the year to spend some money

Planned Modifications this year:

3) Replace all 3 TVs with smart TVs. Since they are so cheap, I will just get 2 32" and 1 40" (maybe 42" after I take measurements. It should fit)

5) Install sound bar for outside TV to hear it better

6) Install swinging arm for outside tv to angle it wherever I need it

11) Replace the stock sofa with one that has an easier, more comfortable bed.

RVCampingNut, I'd like to ask how the above mods went, if you got them completed? We have the same model and are working on the outdoor TV swivel mount addition. Also contemplating adding a sound bar as we cannot seem to get the TV to find the Jensen radio in the back so the outside speakers will play the TV sound.

Also, the couch, if you replaced it and if so with what?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was curious about how the 5-Star tuning module worked out...
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #19

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
RVCampingNut, I'd like to ask how the above mods went, if you got them completed? We have the same model and are working on the outdoor TV swivel mount addition. Also contemplating adding a sound bar as we cannot seem to get the TV to find the Jensen radio in the back so the outside speakers will play the TV sound.

Also, the couch, if you replaced it and if so with what?

Here’s a little FYI on the Jensen radio and outside speakers for use with the outside TV...
To make the speakers work for the outside TV you have to choose the correct input on the radio. It’s either Aux1, or Aux2. The other thing is that you should check and confirm that the red and white audio cable connectors are still connected to the radio inputs on the Jensen radio. I recently was back in the cabinet where the radio is installed and found that the audio cable either was not connected or they were disconnected by the drawer underneath the radio. The cables weren’t secured out of the way of the drawer hitting them when it was opened and closed. The other thing that happened is the wires to the little USB charging station were also pulled out because of the same drawer bumping into them. Everything works great now. This might save the need to get a sound bar for that outside TV.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #20

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
Here’s a little FYI on the Jensen radio and outside speakers for use with the outside TV...
To make the speakers work for the outside TV you have to choose the correct input on the radio. It’s either Aux1, or Aux2. The other thing is that you should check and confirm that the red and white audio cable connectors are still connected to the radio inputs on the Jensen radio. I recently was back in the cabinet where the radio is installed and found that the audio cable either was not connected or they were disconnected by the drawer underneath the radio. The cables weren’t secured out of the way of the drawer hitting them when it was opened and closed. The other thing that happened is the wires to the little USB charging station were also pulled out because of the same drawer bumping into them. Everything works great now. This might save the need to get a sound bar for that outside TV.
Unfortunately we have no such cables, or even a place to plug in something like that on the back of our Jensen. Those cables would also have to
run to the outside TV and there are none there either. That's why we were looking into the Bluetooth option. Which apparently also won't work since the distance between the TV and the radio is pushing almost 30 ft in our 38ft RV, too far to find each other.