Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Question Are you adding new sway bars or replacing the stock ones?

Howdy all,

I’m looking to do some suspension work at the end of this RV season and have been devouring all the great knowledge here. I have a 2019 34J which is the Ford F53 chassis. I’ve already done the CHF on both front and back, but need the handling to be better. I’ve read up about tire pressure, alignment, Koni FSD (or Bilstein) shocks, Sumo springs, and the rear trac bar.

But one thing I can’t tell is what is meant in all these conversations regarding sway bars. I’ve gone through most of the 15 pages of results when searching for “sway bars” and the imprecise language common in all of them is throwing me.

Namely, when someone says “I got {Brand X} sway bars put on...” are they meaning that they added an additional one or replacing the factory stock ones? My Class A rig already has a sway bar in both front and back (hence the CHF I did after the first trip). I can’t tell from most of the statements if people don’t have a rear sway bar and are installing one. Or if there’s that much benefit in “upgrading” the existing factory one by removing it and installing a more beefy aftermarket one.

Seems like a simple question, but for the life of me I can’t figure this out. Could one of gurus weigh in here?

Appreciate you guys as always!

Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
They are describing ADDING roll bars not replacing the stock bars. Sumo springs do add to the roll stiffness and also add to the spring's stiffness where anti-roll bars do not. That said if your coach is loaded to near the max, then in big highway bumps, you will have the axles hit the factory bump stops giving a jarring ride, to say the least. Sumo springs or air springs will help, plus Sumos add considerable roll stiffness. Track bars keep the axles centered under the coach, reducing wandering and tail drag when towing. Each model of coach, chassis length and weight have unique handling characteristics. What works for someone else may not work to your satisfaction.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #3

THOR #14658
If they are talking about Sway Bars, they are replacing the factory ones with heavy duty after market ones. I have a 31E class C and replaced my factory sway bars with the Hellwig sway bars. It made a tremendous difference in drivability along with the replacement of the factory steering dampener with the Safe-T-Plus steering dampener.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I did the CHF, added Sumo Springs front and rear, Steering stabilizer and a rear Track bar. Love how mine handles now. I just added the rear sumos and have not had a chance to drive with them in yet but am considering after driving putting the rear sway bar back to soft.
\
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #5

THOR #12548
Thanks guys for the quick response.

Beau388– you say “roll bars”. Is that the same as “sway bars”? If so, then I guess I’m still right where I started, as you are saying that the aftermarket purchase of the sway/roll bar is added to the existing one, where RVfan96 says they are a replacement.

I’m not mechanical, but trying to learn. So I’m afraid I don’t know if the idea of two rear sway bars is just ridiculous, or if that’s a thing.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 AM   #6

THOR #12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFan96 View Post
If they are talking about Sway Bars, they are replacing the factory ones with heavy duty after market ones. I have a 31E class C and replaced my factory sway bars with the Hellwig sway bars. It made a tremendous difference in drivability along with the replacement of the factory steering dampener with the Safe-T-Plus steering dampener.
Did you try the CHF before replacing the sway bars and just not finding enough improvement?

As far as I can tell, the Class A/F53 bodies don’t come with a steering dampener at all. I definitely am planning on getting the Safe-T-Plus mod for sure.

Thanks for your quick response, btw. :-)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:47 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Do the safe t plus

If I'm not mistaken adding an upgraded sway bar to the rear is in addition to the stock sway bar. It doesn't replace it. So you would have two in the rear. The front is a replacement

But you did the chf so I would stop there. Imo no replacement or addition is needed.

For me the rear track bar was the best suspension mod I did.

At some point upgraded shocks will be next.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #8

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
Did you try the CHF before replacing the sway bars and just not finding enough improvement?

As far as I can tell, the Class A/F53 bodies don’t come with a steering dampener at all. I definitely am planning on getting the Safe-T-Plus mod for sure.

Thanks for your quick response, btw. :-)
Chf is only for f53 chassis. Class c are on a different chassis
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Do the safe t plus

If I'm not mistaken adding an upgraded sway bar to the rear is in addition to the stock sway bar. It doesn't replace it. So you would have two in the rear. The front is a replacement

But you did the chf so I would stop there. Imo no replacement or addition is needed.

For me the rear track bar was the best suspension mod I did.

At some point upgraded shocks will be next.

Jerry
All excellent points Jerry, I agree the rear track bar turns it from a monster into a puppy. Tail wag is a thing of the past except for maybe a semi approaching at 90mph from behind.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #10

THOR #2121
If your timing allows it, you may want to wait until Ford upgrades handling on the F-53 chassis to get ideas on possible fixes, and also to see if any of the hardware can be added to previous F-53 models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7597F9CB-3B81-4464-B310-F8BB82AAEAF0.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	19700  

Tags
chf, class a, suspension, sway bar